• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Reservists behind fake letter warning of wolves being released

Maxman1

Reaction score
Or even better return to the simple, easy to use and identify, unification ranks which we spent about as much time under as all the older ranks.

You mean the thin and slightly thicker lines that blend together past four feet? Whereas pips and crowns are infantry-proof.

I dunno....

I kind of like the Leafs ... the kind on the shoulder boards that is, not in the hockey rink :) ).

I find it looks a tad busy and too American.

Eaglelord17

Reaction score
You mean the thin and slightly thicker lines that blend together past four feet? Whereas pips and crowns are infantry-proof.

I find it looks a tad busy and too American.
All I can say is I never mistook a officer for a warrant under the old system. You see bars it doesn't matter you salute and call sir or mam. The old system worked and was often complimented by other nations for how simple and effective it was. I never heard a complaint about them other than the fact they 'aren't the pips and crowns'.

Maxman1

Reaction score
All I can say is I never mistook a officer for a warrant under the old system.

And I've never mistaken a Major for a Warrant, or vice versa, under the current system.

The old system worked

And so did the system before that, which worked for a century at that point and was used through four (4) wars and multiple UN deployments.

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I have seen it happen a lot when working with our NATO allies.
Under the pips and Crown system, several years back, I was mistaken for a Warrant Officer by the kid behind the counter where I was ordering coffee. As it turned out, he was a former Army cadet and was happy to pronounce" Here's your coffee Warrant." When I explained that I was a Major, he was mortified. I felt terrible, and tried to explain that the new system fucked things up (didn't use that verbiage)

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I was saluted several times while in Banja Luka as a PO1.

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
I guess this is a little like the old WordPerfect and MS Word debate where whatever you used first is the thing you fought to the death for.

I first started with pips albeit very briefly before having to change to rings - always hated the things - made us all look like air force. Retired just before the Army switched back. Regretted missing out on that.

Never had any problems distinguishing a warrant officer from a major when the warrants were staff sergeants. Never could understand that change either.

:unsure:

tomydoom

Reaction score
I guess this is a little like the old WordPerfect and MS Word debate where whatever you used first is the thing you fought to the death for.

I first started with pips albeit very briefly before having to change to rings - always hated the things - made us all look like air force. Retired just before the Army switched back. Regretted missing out on that.

Never had any problems distinguishing a warrant officer from a major when the warrants were staff sergeants. Never could understand that change either.

:unsure:
You just reminded me of how much I miss Word Perfect. :)