• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Reservists behind fake letter warning of wolves being released

MilEME09 said:
CIMIC and PSYOPs are two sides of the same coin under the IA Umbrella. CIMIC more deals with the civil military cooperation side of a conflict. Psyops deals more on the military capabilities.

Example used from maple resolve last year. At the start of the EX the head of IA coy asked what the civilian price of a cow, a chicken, and a goat were and got a good laugh thats it. Fast forward a few days and a convoy had killed a farmers 5 cows, the farmer was now demanding 5 million in compensation. IA knew that the price per cow was only a few thousand, questioning why he wanted so much, psyops operators figures out that the civilian was funding insurgent activity against coalition forces and was an enemy SF informant.

Meanwhile CIMIC teams were going village to village and figuring out the needs of the towns and how helping towns may resolve conflict.

Its a lot more complicated then this but a lot of there work is behind the scenes.

Which leads me to ask the question why reservists are filling a role like this in the first place, outside of an operational environment, unless someone at a higher level is off their rocker. Or can't find enough Reg F resources to justify the continuing existence of a specific capability like, you know, the Mortar Platoon  ::)

There's enough to do, on the armoury floor, mastering section attacks, gun drills etc.

daftandbarmy said:
Which leads me to ask the question why reservists are filling a role like this in the first place, outside of an operational environment, unless someone at a higher level is off their rocker.
Going WAY back (2005) here, and I'd love to hear anything more current, but previous discussion around these parts indicates that was (at least said to be) done because "Reservists would be able to "straddle the fence" between the military and the civilians, being both themselves, and having the mindset to work in both worlds."

That said, there's the other side, too ...
... Considering that almost everybody in the RegF relates to civilians every day, and that most of us live in civilian communities and not in PMQs, and that many of us belong to civilian clubs, groups, teams, volunteer fire depts,etc, and that the great majority of us went to school, high school or beyond with civilians, I think it is a bit inaccurate, if not to say unfair, to depict RegF soldiers as some kind of aliens who cannot relate to civilians in other countries. It is IMHO equally inaccurate to depict Res soldiers as being somehow posessed of divinely-given qualities that only they posess in order to do CIMIC.

It is worth remembering that until we began to formalize CIMIC as a Res job in the early part of this century, the CIMIC task was performed on every Roto by RegF soldiers. CIMIC is not a new invention discovered by LFRR. Sometimes it was just done by the coys/sqns/btys themselves, then later we started to create CIMIC cells for the Rotos. In all cases we did good work, and lots of it.

Secondly, I wonder how relevant the Canadian civil expertise of some Res CIMIC soldiers really is to countries and cultures such as Afghanistan, Rwanda, Mozambique, East Timor, etc. Our culture, language, religious observances, methods of civil governance, civil-military relationship and even our municipal technology are generally quite different in Canada from those we may experience in such places. CIMIC soldiers have to be trained, which means that a Res on his own merits is not necessarily more suited than a RegF soldier; rather, it is a question of training and temperament.

Do Res soldiers do a good job on CIMIC? Yes, unquestionably. Is a CIMIC a meaningful and useful task for the Army Res? Again, a resounding yes. In the US Army, for example, Civil Affairs is almost completely a Reserve task. (While the British Army, on the other hand, does not recognize CIMIC as a stand-alone entity but instead uses the same approach that we used to: the units do it themselves...). Should the Res keep this task? Yes-I am all for that.

But, IMHO, let us not indulge in stereotypical thinking about either RegF or Res soldiers by assuming that the latter are automatically better suited to the CIMIC task by nature of their status, or that the former are precluded by theirs ...
I think Brihard hit the nail on the head - there'll be dummies in any org chart, and it only takes a few to make mistakes to make the enterprise look bad, so to me, a big part of it comes back to what D&B also said about "leadership" needing to be weilded.

dapaterson said:
I found this actual recording of Commander, 36 CBG.

https://youtu.be/ORvkElqw0QM?t=23

I don't think he's on here, but I think he'd get a chuckle out of that (he was my Tp Ldr 20-some years ago...).  I also know the RSM of the Rifles, and can almost picture the look on his face when he found out.  ;D

CloudCover said:
Next time they should use Krakens instead of Wolves.

If it is for training purposes, I'm all for the use of Werewolves.  :nod:

Since it doesn't change the outcome of the training being done, as the troops know it's for training - and if something like this happens again, the Army can far more easily say brush it off as a training exercise.

The same way we regularly engage forces from "Imaginationstan".

No need for my 'spec fire'; comments removed.  Issued myself a verbal warning.  :eek:rly:

A news agency that we aren't allowed to name here has come out and claimed that the distribution of the flyers happened after a soldier who didn't know that they were fake sent a picture to his wife who then shared them with her friends, and it went on from there. They also referred to the PSYOPS team as a propaganda team.

A news agency that we aren't allowed to name here has come out and claimed that the distribution of the flyers happened after a soldier who didn't know that they were fake sent a picture to his wife who then shared them with her friends, and it went on from there. They also referred to the PSYOPS team as a propaganda team.
I have been dealing with this issue, and associated stuff for the last 18 months. Countering this narrative garners no support.

Something I've been wondering, since the Halifax Rifles are an armoured recce unit, is a private there a Trooper or a Rifleman?

Leave it to the Army to out-confuse the RCAF with its Aviator who doesn’t fly aircraft. 😉

Maybe someday we'll go back to proper Air Force ranks, with Pilot Officers who aren't pilots, Flying Officers and Flight Lieutenants who don't fly, Squadron Leaders who don't lead a squadron and Wing Commanders who don't command a wing.

Maybe someday we'll go back to proper Air Force ranks, with Pilot Officers who aren't pilots, Flying Officers and Flight Lieutenants who don't fly, Squadron Leaders who don't lead a squadron and Wing Commanders who don't command a wing.
I wouldn’t rule that out if the Cons win the election

And return (for the second time) to pips and crowns for General officers, instead of a bunch of maple leaves.

And return (for the second time) to pips and crowns for General officers, instead of a bunch of maple leaves.

I dunno....

I kind of like the Leafs ... the kind on the shoulder boards that is, not in the hockey rink :) ).

Back