• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Junior Officer Development Programme (CFJOD)

Yep, I already have triple exemption on second language. I was really planning on completing the OPME program, just to discover it was trashed and the replacement is not opened. I feel a bit out of options now.

BrokenAcorn said:
I feel a bit out of options now.

That's because there's no options other than getting an ILP and paying for courses yourself. NCMs were cut off without anything to replace it.

BrokenAcorn said:
Yep, I already have triple exemption on second language. I was really planning on completing the OPME program, just to discover it was trashed and the replacement is not opened. I feel a bit out of options now.

You could always take a course or two from the MA in War Studies Programme or courses from the Military and Strategic Studies Programme or courses from the Department of Military Psychology and Leadership at RMC. Might be interesting and relevant to the profession of arms. 

The United Nations Institute for Training and Research runs some good online courses I am told.  You can see them here: http://www.unitar.org/event/elearning - look under the programme area: Peace Security and Diplomacy.

There is also https://www.coursera.org/  It might have some courses of interest.  Some of the courses in the social sciences area or business management area might be of general military interest / use.  Depending on what you do in the CAF some of the other courses might be of interest / use.  I took a course on geospatial mapping which was quite interesting and potentially useful.

MIT also posts some open courses that you can work through.  Some of the ones of interest might be:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/political-science/17-950-understanding-military-operations-spring-2010/
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/political-science/17-466-organization-theory-and-the-military-spring-2003/index.htm
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/political-science/17-462-innovation-in-military-organizations-fall-2005/index.htm
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/political-science/17-484-comparative-grand-strategy-and-military-doctrine-fall-2004/index.htm

Some ideas.  Do think that the Officer DP2 OPME program was mecca of professional military education, especially for someone who already has a MA in Political Science.  The new progamme is really aimed at the DP2 Officer General Specification competencies and not general academic interest as was offered in the past.

MC

Has anyone heard if education reimbursement has in fact been cut to 50% yet, i know they were projecting it....but a part of me was really hoping that it was going to keep at 100% with maybe a few other restrictions. The CDA is very slow to update their website.

sidemount said:
The CDA is very slow to update their website.
Sorry, you had a typo there.

But I've heard CDA has acquired even more high-priced help effective this new fiscal year;  I'm sure we'll all see an obvious improvement.    :not-again:

Journeyman said:
Sorry, you had a typo there.

But I've heard CDA has acquired even more high-priced help effective this new fiscal year;  I'm sure we'll all see an obvious improvement.    :not-again:

Good call

More high priced.....gotta love when they spend money, tht they could be putting better use, to hire someone to try and figure out how to better spend money.

I completed MOSC and AJOSQ in the past.  I was granted the Staffing Mod this week...CFJOD complete.  I blew through the History Mod and and seeing I only had Staffing to do I  asked that Staffing be PLAR'ed. 

Done.

sidemount said:
Has anyone heard if education reimbursement has in fact been cut to 50% yet, i know they were projecting it....but a part of me was really hoping that it was going to keep at 100% with maybe a few other restrictions. The CDA is very slow to update their website.

So to answer my own question.

I was in to see the PSO today. On the topic of academic reimbursement, the spring/summer semester is a go and they are expecting the same for the fall but in the fall there may be some restrictions...I was told they were looking more at yearly/career caps as opposed to percentage changes.

So get your summer ILP in if you dont have it already

Still some time to register for summer courses and plan fall ones

Ranger Rick said:
Has and one seen a CANFORGEN on Class A pay for PRes for the new CAFJOD courses?

I had the same question and got an answer back so I'm posting it: 
"Consult the following CANFORGEN : http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2013/067-13_e.asp, specifically para 8. CDA does not pay Class A days; each environment is responsible for their respective policy concerning Class A pay and CAFJOD."

infant said:
I had the same question and got an answer back so I'm posting it: 
"Consult the following CANFORGEN : http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2013/067-13_e.asp, specifically para 8. CDA does not pay Class A days; each environment is responsible for their respective policy concerning Class A pay and CAFJOD."

Which in clear language means "ask your unit training office to request Class A pay from your CO."

What I got in an e-mail before the holidays:

1.AJSO

This has two components, a DL component and an OJT component.  AJSO is divided into 3 modules, the first two modules are pure DL, the third module consists of both DL and OJT.  The financial compensation for the DL portion of AJSO is in accordance with the AJSO Training Plan.  While a student’s personal effort may exceed the number of authorized paid days, no student is entitled to any wage compensation beyond what is outlined below. The total number of Class A days that a student may sign in for is 3 days (centrally funded using my fincode) broken down as follows:

Module 1 = 1 day
Module 2 = 1 day
Module 3 = 1 day

Details on how a student obtains funding are located under item 3 of this email.

The OJT for AJSO consists of 5 days which are not funded.  In essence the junior offr covers off the OJT requirement during the normal execution of his/her military duties. I emphasize that there is no Indiv Trg money associated with this OJT.

Please note that completion of AJSO (or the associated legacy qualification – AJOSQ) is a pre-requisite to attendance on ATOC effective immediately.

2. CAFJOD

The Canadian Armed Forces Junior Officer Development (CAFJOD) programme is divided into 7 modules and is delivered completely by DL via DLN.  The financial compensation for the DL portion of CAFJOD is in accordance with the CAFJOD Training Plan.  While a student’s personal effort may exceed the number of authorized paid days, no student is entitled to any wage compensation beyond what is outlined below. The total number of Class A days that a student may sign in for is 13 days (centrally funded using my fincode) broken down as follows:

Module 1 = 1.5 days
Module 2 = 3 days
Module 3 = 1 day
Module 4 = 1.5 days
Module 5 = 2 days
Module 6 = 2 days
Module 7 = 2 days

Details on how a student obtains funding are located under item 3 of this email.

Please note the fol:
  • students who have completed AJOSQ may get an equivalency for CAFJOD Mod 1.  The ref is Para 6.C.(2) in the CANFGEN link
    http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2013/067-13_e.asp    This equivalency does not apply to students who have completed AJSO.
  • CAFJOD Mods 1 - 3 are a pre-requisite for ATOC.
  • CAFJOD Mods 4 – 7 are a pre-requisite for AOC.  However given that CAFJOD only rolled out within the last year, there will be a transition period before the CAFJOD pre-requisites kick in for both ATOC and AOC.  The details of this transition period will be sent to you once they have been worked out by Army PD/CTC G7/ CoEs.  So from Army PD, until the transition period direction is out, there is a standing waiver with respect to the CAFJOD prerequisite requirement for both ATOC and AOC.  Nonetheless, ARes  junior offrs should begin their CAFJOD mods as soon as they can.

3. Financial compensation

In order minimize staff effort to transmit routine DL pay info, we have set up a plus email account that students may contact direct.  CTC HQ PRes G3 Coord, WO Breau, monitors this account and will provide the necessary info to students in order to ensure they get paid.  Once the student has registered via DLN, for AJSO or CAFJOD, they must forward the DLN auto-generated confirmation of registration email to the following CTC HQ email account:  +GAG CTC HQ Compt@CTC HQ@Gagetown.  Students must also include the following information in their email:
  • Identify which course they are registered for (AJSO or CAFJOD)
  • Service number
  • Rank
  • Surname and initials
  • Home unit

An email response will be sent back to the student within one or two working days providing the fin code and Class A pay instructions for each Module of the course.
The instructions on DL pay, outlined above, can also be accessed as fols:
  • For AJSO: CACSC will be updating their school website and student DL pay instructions for AJSO will be placed there.
  • For CAFJOD: The pay instruction is listed under the FAQ on their website CAFJOD FAQ.  As well, in the near future, these pay instructions will also be included in the CAFJOD student guide.

blackberet17 said:
•CAFJOD Mods 1 - 3 are a pre-requisite for ATOC.

And yet I have ATOC, and not one module of CAFJOD done our army  :dunno:. Though thanks to your post I'm applying to PLAR Mod 1 as I have also completed AJOSQ. Thanks for the heads up!

Don't bother.  It will take you longer to do the PLAR then to do the mod. 

MC

Really? I was thinking of getting a PLAR for the mod 1 (as I've got 5 / 6 OPME's done) and did the AJSOC so I have the set. I take it it takes a while to process?

NSDreamer said:
And yet I have ATOC, and not one module of CAFJOD done our army  :dunno:. Though thanks to your post I'm applying to PLAR Mod 1 as I have also completed AJOSQ. Thanks for the heads up!

I got ATOC, while having only Mods 1 and 2 of AJSO done, and three mods of CAFJOD - and not mods 1-3, either. My unit was prepared to and did write a waiver so I could go on the earliest ATOC serial last spring. If unit is willing to push...

I don't remember these guidelines when I was working on AJSO and ATOC. All I knew was AJSO was a pre-req for ATOC, I knew nada about CAFJOD being there as well.

blackberet17 said:
I got ATOC, while having only Mods 1 and 2 of AJSO done, and three mods of CAFJOD - and not mods 1-3, either. My unit was prepared to and did write a waiver so I could go on the earliest ATOC serial last spring. If unit is willing to push...

I don't remember these guidelines when I was working on AJSO and ATOC. All I knew was AJSO was a pre-req for ATOC, I knew nada about CAFJOD being there as well.

Ah the clearness of Junior Officers Development...DP 2 can be such a confusing time... :-\

The Infantry O career manager briefed that AJSO is the prereq for ATOC (which makes perfect sense), and that CAFJOD is not a prereq for ATOC (which also makes perfect sense).

ballz said:
The Infantry O career manager briefed that AJSO is the prereq for ATOC (which makes perfect sense), and that CAFJOD is not a prereq for ATOC (which also makes perfect sense).

He may want to check with the G5 at CTC in Gagetown, then, from whose e-mail I'm quoting above (ie. "CAFJOD Mods 1 - 3 are a pre-requisite for ATOC"), although he does also say, "there will be a transition period before the CAFJOD pre-requisites kick in for both ATOC and AOC".

Revival of the thread - of sorts.

Currently the only requirement for ATOC is AJSO Mods in their entirety complete.  A peer and I have both been on this course recently and this was the only prerequisite they were looking for (outside of nomination).

Wake this one up a bit.

Would anybody have and be willing to share their notes from some of the CAFJOD mods? I've been working to try to get them done before I get loaded on AOC, but the DL is painful. I'd be happy to share the notes I have for Mods 3, 4, 6 and 7. I need the notes for Mods 1, 2 and 5.

Thanks!

Back