• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

Hello wnhan

So the short answer is that based purely alone on your CFAT no one can tell you how competitive your scores are; the CFAT score is combined with the TSD & Interview to give an overall score.  The overall score is what is used to select the most competitive individuals.  You would have to know how you performed on the TSD and in your Interview as well to determine your competitiveness.

Hi guys, my names Austin im 22 years old im a highschool dropout with a grade 10 education and apparently did VERY well on my CFAT. when i wrote my aptitude test there were about 25 of us. Although they cant tell you your score when we all handed our tests in at the the end the recruiter said to the other holy shit someone in here got almost a perfect score. someone in the class spoke up and said how did the rest of us do and the recruiter said for the most part average or slightly above. then when the recruiters pulled everybody aside they didnt tell me my score but told me that i did extremely well on my CFAT and that i am eligible for ANY position in the CF regardless of army,navy or air force. So im assuming im the one that scored almost perfect. I am applying for the infantry and am 3/4 through my application they have called all my references and am just waiting on the call for my physical. The recruiter again couldnt reveal my score however said with my score being so good the infantry is going to look at me before alot of other applicants. How important was this test i just did this well on.? i only have a grade 10 education and there were university engineers writing it with me i honestly suprised myself.

Seek1995 said:
Hi guys, my names Austin im 22 years old im a highschool dropout with a grade 10 education and apparently did VERY well on my CFAT. when i wrote my aptitude test there were about 25 of us. Although they cant tell you your score when we all handed our tests in at the the end the recruiter said to the other holy crap someone in here got almost a perfect score. someone in the class spoke up and said how did the rest of us do and the recruiter said for the most part average or slightly above. then when the recruiters pulled everybody aside they didnt tell me my score but told me that i did extremely well on my CFAT and that i am eligible for ANY position in the CF regardless of army,navy or air force. So im assuming im the one that scored almost perfect. I am applying for the infantry and am 3/4 through my application they have called all my references and am just waiting on the call for my physical. The recruiter again couldnt reveal my score however said with my score being so good the infantry is going to look at me before alot of other applicants. How important was this test i just did this well on.? i only have a grade 10 education and there were university engineers writing it with me i honestly suprised myself.

High school students tend to do well on the test because it relies on simple math without a calculator. Engineers can tell you the exact derivative of a pencil but ask them to add two numbers together without a calculator and they'll start to panic.

Pre-flight said:
High school students tend to do well on the test because it relies on simple math without a calculator. Engineers can tell you the exact derivative of a pencil but ask them to add two numbers together without a calculator and they'll start to panic.

Not sure about this... being in computer science I've had to take many advanced mathematics courses, and all of my high level calculus courses we're not allowed to use calculators. Yes, that includes finding derivatives and many more complex mathematical algorithms. 

Seek1995 said:
i am eligible for ANY position in the CF regardless of army,navy or air force.
You might want to clarify that statement with your Recruiter, you've stated your a HS drop out with a grade 10 education. 
There are several occupations in the CAF that require further education beyond a Grade 10 education.

Pre-flight said:
This is very accurate, not true for everyone taking the CFAT, but I'd say those at advanced levels of education who don't prepare for the CFAT suffer for it... 
The CFAT is designed for a Grade 10 education and it determines a persons likelihood of successfully completing their DP1.  When I wrote my CFAT many moons ago, I was in my OAC year and did extremely well on the aptitude test.  As long as I meed the educational requirements of the occupation I qualify to be any occupation in the CAF, NCM or Officer.  However if I wrote it today, and I'm a Senior NCO with University Education I would not perform near as well (to the point I did a practice test a couple weeks ago and bombed it... I didn't even score well enough to be the occupation I am now).

Seek1995 said:
How important was this test i just did this well on.?

If you spend some time reviewing this thread you'll find that the CFAT is part of the score that determines how competitive your application is.  The overall score is based on your CFAT, TSD and Interview (occupations that require further testing also take those tests into account).

Seek1995 said:
i am eligible for ANY position in the CF regardless of army,navy or air force.

Hi, i did my CFAT in march, and after the test the recruiter told me as well that i can apply on any job in the Canadian Forces (i'm almost finish my degree in education) except for the military police and i don't really understand why. But at the interview, after all is finish we talk together and the captain told me my score : she said i performed well and the score was: 10/10 for the first part language did mine in french, spatial ability 8/15, math- problem solving 15/30 (the 2 last questions didn't have time to respond), she told the good way is not to skip questions, answer something but don't skip.

So i don't know  what is a very well performance or a just well performance, comparing...

Kerosen said:
Hi, i did my CFAT in march, and after the test the recruiter told me as well that i can apply on any job in the Canadian Forces (i'm almost finish my degree in education) except for the military police and i don't really understand why. But at the interview, after all is finish we talk together and the captain told me my score : she said i performed well and the score was: 10/10 for the first part language did mine in french, spatial ability 8/15, math- problem solving 15/30 (the 2 last questions didn't have time to respond), she told the good way is not to skip questions, answer something but don't skip.

So i don't know  what is a very well performance or a just well performance, comparing...

First for the MP trade you need to have a specific degrees to go in. For example in Quebec you need a 3 years course name technique policière. The minimum score you need to reach  to apply in any trade isn’t really high. Some trade have a rude competition and a lot of applicant. So you really need to have over the minimal limite to be select in those trades. Take note, this is the same test for all the applicant. So your score can be really good for a trade and not for another. So trust your recruiter he knows if you scored good enough for the trade you chosen.
Sorry for the poor English. I hope this is not impossible to understand!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Kerosen said:
10/10 for the first part language did mine in french, spatial ability 8/15, math- problem solving 15/30
The scoring for the 3 sections is 15 (Verbal Skills), 15 (Spatial Ability) & 30 (Problem Solving)

Buck_HRA said:
The scoring for the 3 sections is 15 (Verbal Skills), 15 (Spatial Ability) & 30 (Problem Solving)

Ya your are right its was 15/15 because there are 60 questions

Anyone know how my CFAT score was not enough for ACISS in 2015; but I reopened my application this month and am now eligible for ACISS?

Ironheader said:
Anyone know how my CFAT score was not enough for ACISS in 2015; but I reopened my application this month and am now eligible for ACISS?
There is a minimum score to reach for certain occupations, so in 2015 your score would have meet the minimum (or you'd be required to rewrite it this year); but if your score in 2015 wasn't competitive based on the percentile you would have been told this, and this year it very well might be competitive.

If you were told that you didn't meet the cut-off in 2015 you should contact your CFRC and verify what is happening on your file as the minimum requirements haven't changed.  If could be that they're processing your file for a CFAT rewrite?  In any case your Recruiting Centre is the best source for information on this query.

I'm planning on applying for a pilot slot in the RCAF, and in the meantime I'm practicing what I can to ensure I have a good score.

I'm using the CFAT Trainer app to practice, the full paid version.

I have no problems whatsoever with vocabulary, and I usually get around 95% in the tests. Math I have no problems with either.

Main issue I'm having is with the spatial reasoning portions, namely folding the shapes from nets or nets from shapes. I'm having a really hard time visualizing it in my head, so is there anything I can do to practice and improve my score? I'm doing really badly in that section, around 60-70% on each run, which I feel like is really disappointing.

Since I am aiming for a pilot slot, I'm assuming the spatial reasoning portion will be more heavily weighted than some other occupations?

What can I do to improve this ability? Main thing is I cannot seem to visualize how the cube will fold together and where the different faces will go when you do fold them.

Good Day AliTheAce,

Recruiters cannot give advise on how to improve your CFAT in regards to books, apps or anything like that since none are officially endorsed by the CAF.  There is 81 pages in this thread and suggestions are made in regards to prepping for the CFAT through it...

Did CFAT adjust difficulty from previous part?

Just did CFAT, verbal was disaster (really more difficult than GRE - graduate level for non-english speakers. I had IELTS 8.0 but still a completely failure). But after that, Spatial and Numberical were as easy as 8~10-year old elementary school quiz. Felt like CFAT adjusted difficulty from verbal part and made next two parts easy?

Or it's simply native high school language ability exceeds graduate non-english speakers?

AliTheAce said:
I'm having a really hard time visualizing it in my head, so is there anything I can do to practice and improve my score? I'm doing really badly in that section, around 60-70% on each run, which I feel like is really disappointing.

What can I do to improve this ability? Main thing is I cannot seem to visualize how the cube will fold together and where the different faces will go when you do fold them.

I just redid my CFAT.

For the spatial portion of the test, I didn’t necessarily envision the whole shape folded together.  I looked at the shapes/shading and matched it to the folded shape.  I focused on matching the designs and not the folded shape.  It’d worked well for me.

I don’t know if that helps or not.

Good luck

I downloaded the "CFAT Trainer Lite - Canadian Forces Test Prep" on my phone and practiced on there and was successful on my CFAT.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I just redid my CFAT.

For the spatial portion of the test, I didn’t necessarily envision the whole shape folded together.  I looked at the shapes/shading and matched it to the folded shape.  I focused on matching the designs and not the folded shape.  It’d worked well for me.

I don’t know if that helps or not.

Good luck

Sorry, could you elaborate on this technique a little bit? I'm trying to understand what you mean by this, do you just focus on the 3 sides that are visible? I feel like if I can nail this technique I can improve it a fair amount. On the CFAT Trainer app I'm getting around 80-90% now but I feel like that's attributed to me just knowing the answer from previous attempts.

It’s tough to explain.

It’s multiple choice.  I noticed that there were always two obviously wrong so I eliminated those immediately.  I then set out to eliminate the last incorrect shape.

Some of them are more obvious than others, which will allow you to bank time for the more challenging shapes.

Every design has something that stands out. 

You sound like you are well prepared.  My scores on the CFAT trainer app varied from 60-100%, I wasn’t consistent at all. 

Since it's a multiple choice test, use a process of elimination. Usually the folded cube or shape will give you three visible sides. Fold the shape according to the sides shown for that answer and determine if it makes sense/ is a match. That is a test taking strategy I would recommend for time management.

For practice and developing your spatial ability, focus on the shape and fold it in your head. Try to imagine the folded shape rotated and from different perspectives. It will be tough at first but eventually the practice will shape you into thinking this way.

AliTheAce said:
I feel like if I can nail this technique I can improve it a fair amount. On the CFAT Trainer app I'm getting around 80-90% now but I feel like that's attributed to me just knowing the answer from previous attempts.

If you are repeating problem sets and have a good idea of the correct answer from previous attempts, that application is no longer helping you shape your spatial ability. It is akin to going through a "WHere's Waldo" book again and again. Eventually you're going to know where he is from previous attempts, which makes it difficult to unsee him. There are a host of shape folding problem sets on the net.

Hope this helps and Happy Holidays!

Back