• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

Damn, that CPC veterans plan is fantastic. You can very clearly the the impact of feedback O’Toole was getting while MVA under Harper, and that he wasn’t in a position to have ‘platformed’. I recognize issues that were brought up with great specificity by veterans’ advocates during the last CPC government.
Did you read the part about redefining universality of service? Making it job specific. And allowing injured people to be able to continue to serve. Looks good so far.

Did you read the part about redefining universality of service? Making it job specific. And allowing injured people to be able to continue to serve. Looks good so far.
Until you're one of the 3 clerks in the entire country that can deploy or go to the field, so you're driven into the ground until you end up on the same list as everyone else. Drastically changing UoS is just a way to play a shell game with the overall numbers in the CAF, by refusing to release anyone.

Rest of the policy looks fantastic, especially the MO being able to determine service disability numbers that VAC cannot overrule. Should be good to fix the current 24 month wait time the Liberals have instituted while they've been in charge of VAC.

Until you're one of the 3 clerks in the entire country that can deploy or go to the field, so you're driven into the ground until you end up on the same list as everyone else. Drastically changing UoS is just a way to play a shell game with the overall numbers in the CAF, by refusing to release anyone.

Rest of the policy looks fantastic, especially the MO being able to determine service disability numbers that VAC cannot overrule. Should be good to fix the current 24 month wait time the Liberals have instituted while they've been in charge of VAC.
If they put hard limits on retention in terms of numbers this might work but you're likely right all it's going to end up doing is making the fit people who are ready to a good amount of the work just do more of the work.

There's likely to be a ceiling on the number of personnel in a given trade on restrictions., but your point has merit. Not every broken person has to be released if the net effect is no degradation in capability.

I like the idea behind the promise ~ think e.g. Lord Nelson or Georges Vanier ~ but I suspect our bureaucrats (uniformed and civil) can find an infinite number of ways to 🤬 it all up.

Or maybe the broken infantry guy who still wants to serve can be remustered to a trade that can still employ him. There is potential. I see your point but I also see how the intent could work.

Does everybody have to be judged by infantry standards, even though they remain deployable? Is the UofS baseline standard so rigid that the CF is losing, or risking, otherwise good members who, in all reality can perform their trade, and possibly a wide array of trades, anywhere on the globe?

Admittedly I'm on the outside looking in, but have a good friend who is being released due to diabetes. Apparently (I don't know for certain) the issue is not the illness but, rather, the fact that the meds need refrigeration. He's with the RCAF.

Damn, that CPC veterans plan is fantastic. You can very clearly the the impact of feedback O’Toole was getting while MVA under Harper, and that he wasn’t in a position to have ‘platformed’. I recognize issues that were brought up with great specificity by veterans’ advocates during the last CPC government.
Thanks for the insights. Curious about this bit in the CPC plan:
Implementing the Lifelong Disability Benefit for moderately to severely injured veterans.
I thought the original intent was to have everyone able to access the pension-for-life option - did I misunderstand, is this a tweak in the platform, or was this what was on the table back then?

Does everybody have to be judged by infantry standards, even though they remain deployable? Is the UofS baseline standard so rigid that the CF is losing, or risking, otherwise good members who, in all reality can perform their trade, and possibly a wide array of trades, anywhere on the globe?

Admittedly I'm on the outside looking in, but have a good friend who is being released due to diabetes. Apparently (I don't know for certain) the issue is not the illness but, rather, the fact that the meds need refrigeration. He's with the RCAF.

Easy now, that kind of logic is going to make the "every one is soldier first" crowd implode.

A good friend of mine, pilot, was released for UoS. He received his medical decision after he landed from a combat mission in Irak…. Talk about a broken system.

I met a guy like that a few years ago.

A former SoF rotary wing pilot with about 10,000 hours, he was released because his knee wouldn't let him complete the 13km BFT (carrying 55lbs) without great pain.

I said "Dude, you exist so people like me don't HAVE to carry all that gear so far."

I helped steer him into some really well aligned civilian employment where, I'm happy to say, he's much more appreciated :)

I met a guy like that a few years ago.

A former SoF rotary wing pilot with about 10,000 hours, he was released because his knee wouldn't let him complete the 13km BFT (carrying 55lbs) without great pain.

I said "Dude, you exist so people like me don't HAVE to carry all that gear so far."

I helped steer him into some really well aligned civilian employment where, I'm happy to say, he's much more appreciated :)
Exactly why UoS needs fixing. Releasing someone who will likely never need to hump 13kms in whatever time we decided back in WW1 to get to the front in a timely manner.

it’s a good idea. Bureaucrats may mess it up but I’d rather have something at least that can be fixed than have nothing at all.

Think about it this way, we have a great many on the CSS side who get out due to UoS or retirement only to be hired as a civilian contractor. Why not just keep them in uniform? Sure Bloggins might not be able to deploy, but maybe he would make a damn good instructor at the vehicle school.

Oh my, this is getting good now:

'Anaemic' Liberal brand fails to motivate Canadians to vote them into majority government, Maru poll finds​

Trudeau may find himself in real trouble on Sept. 20, after a new poll has found that majority of Canadians may vote for a political party other than the Liberals.

The Maru Public Opinion survey found that 73 per cent of Canadians polled are open to voting for a party to run the country other the Liberals led by Trudeau, while a mere 27 per cent have remained loyal to the prime minister.

I think the Conservatives have done a good job of seizing the narrative. They've thus far successfully denied the Liberals the opportunity to define them, and met every issue head on with clear and unambiguous language. However, there's still three long weeks to go.

Think about it this way, we have a great many on the CSS side who get out due to UoS or retirement only to be hired as a civilian contractor. Why not just keep them in uniform? Sure Bloggins might not be able to deploy, but maybe he would make a damn good instructor at the vehicle school.
I thought this already existed; I know of a few people that ended up on a PCAT but stayed in uniform at a terminal rank and finished out their careers.

Needs some common sense to prevent MIR warriors clogging up the system, shifting the burden onto healthy people and burning them out, but for a fully trade qualified, experienced person that doesn't meet UoS as a direct result of injuries sustained in the CAF seems like a no brainer.

Wasn't there a few fairly public PA announcements on this with folks rehabing after IED related injuries continuing to work as instructors? The one that comes to mind was someone that had lost a leg, but don't recall the details.

Back