• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

Now much taxes could the government possibly collect from Uber drivers, sandwich artists and hotel maids? Better off on welfare.
Pretty much about as ignorant statement as you can get.

My neighbours are (ex-)Kosovar refugees from 1999. 22 years later she’s a doctor and he’s a software engineer and their son wants to be an engineer. Contributing heartily to Canada’s taxation regime. On the whole, that and others will balance with the Uber drivers and baristas and whatever other lot in life you wish to denigrate. My experience with positively-minded hard working Afghans is that we are more than likely to benefit from their contributions to Canadian society.

$0.02

Yup. It isn’t a coincidence. That said, the original 2001 premise no longer exists, so from their POV, one could easily consider that collateral value to Afghans in the interceding period was a bonus, but not critical to American Interests.
My uncle is a General Contractor and builds homes for a living. The general trend in the trades is he can't find Canadian under the age of 45 to do work for him. Young Canadians don't want to do that work. He can get lots of foreigners though and they all work very hard and don't complain.

My uncle is a General Contractor and builds homes for a living. The general trend in the trades is he can't find Canadian under the age of 45 to do work for him. Young Canadians don't want to do that work. He can get lots of foreigners though and they all work very hard and don't complain.
My brother in law is in construction. Under 45. Refuses to work residential construction. Would rather be in EI despite the availability of work. And he’s the first to complain that immigrants are stealing jobs. Right…

It's interesting to look at Nova Scotia today where the Liberal's tried to win a majority, and they just got blown out by the PC's. It seems the polls in this provincial election were wrong in predicting this outcome, as from what I've read not many people saw this coming.

I've noticed a trend amongst Conservative types that the PM and the Liberal's "Can't be beat" but if a strong hold Liberal province like Nova Scotia can prove the polls wrong and fall to a PC majority there's no reason to think that they can't also beat the Liberal's at the federal level and blow them out there also.

I'll restate my point here.

The point isn't the political leanings of the NS electorate, the point is that this may be a bellwether election indicating that voters are looking for a change after the pandemic.

...or it may not be. Interesting all the same.

It is only a data point, but an interesting one.

If the Provincial results bleed thru into the federal results, the Liberals are looking at a wholesale asskicking in Atlantic Canada. Which does not lose them the election, exactly, but it makes life harder.

From the looks of it as an outsider, it seems the NS PC's went hard on mental health. This is also one of the main priorities in the federal PC's "Canada Recovery Plan".

For those planning on voting PC I think there may be a strong chance they can win, possibly even a majority. NS has proven it, the tide can be flipped even in Liberal strongholds, these are very unpredictable times and there's no reason to think the PC's can't beat them this round. Of course the PC's still need to run a strong campaign and avoid the mistakes that Andrew Scheer made. They are entering this campaign with way more money than any other party to throw at it as well. I read the Canada Recovery Plan which is basically a full-out manual and honestly I kind of like it, I don't trust the Liberal's to really get the job done anymore and recent years have been less than spectacular. Calling this election while so many events are unfolding may turn out to be one of the Liberal's biggest mistakes yet - however I think it was the right thing to do morally because now Canadians and everyone who has been complaining will have a chance to turn things around if enough of them get out and vote for someone else.

Out here my wife and I joked that the white Canadian kids will all end up working for the immigrants and non-whites that work 2-3 times as hard and now we are seeing that. Another problem in Vancouver is no one can pay enough in service jobs to allow employees to live here, particularity in the North Shore where housing is out of reach completely and traffic precludes people travelling. I know many businesses that have either moved or given up. The remaining ones struggle to find employees and the owners work themselves to the bone to keep the doors open.

. . . the federal PC's "Canada Recovery Plan".

For those planning on voting PC . . . the PC's can't beat them this round. . . . Of course the PC's still need . . .

Semantics. There is no "federal" PC party. Anything that could be judged as a progressive wing of the conservative movement has been greatly overshadowed by a western based, ideological right of centre base that is usually accompanied by Reform baggage. There are still some remnants of Progressive Conservatives in provincial politics, NS being one.

Can't whip out our F18s, but he sure can whip out a campaign plane pretty fast

So, Trudeau has a bigger plane to whip out when he campaigns. That's nice.

No, it is name emblazoned on the fuselage in huge font.

It's interesting to look at Nova Scotia today where the Liberal's tried to win a majority, and they just got blown out by the PC's. It seems the polls in this provincial election were wrong in predicting this outcome, as from what I've read not many people saw this coming.

I've noticed a trend amongst Conservative types that the PM and the Liberal's "Can't be beat" but if a strong hold Liberal province like Nova Scotia can prove the polls wrong and fall to a PC majority there's no reason to think that they can't also beat the Liberal's at the federal level and blow them out there also.
If this Wiki summary is accurate, I would hardly call Nova Scotia a "stronghold Liberal province".

Well, isn't that nice. Who's next? Police? Firefighters? Teachers? :rolleyes:

Tories vow to protect rights of doctors with moral objections to abortion, MAID

"Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole is promising to protect the right of health care professionals to refuse to provide or even refer patients for medical services to which they have moral or religious objections.

The promise to protect conscience rights -- a measure championed by social conservatives who maintain doctors and nurses should not have to refer patients for services like abortion, medical assistance in dying or gender re-assignment surgery -- is included in the Conservatives' election platform.

The platform was released this week by O'Toole even as he tries to differentiate himself from his predecessor, Andrew Scheer, whose socially conservative views on abortion and LGBTQ rights arguably cost the Conservatives the 2019 election."

Well, isn't that nice. Who's next? Police? Firefighters? Teachers? :rolleyes:

Tories vow to protect rights of doctors with moral objections to abortion, MAID

"Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole is promising to protect the right of health care professionals to refuse to provide or even refer patients for medical services to which they have moral or religious objections.

The promise to protect conscience rights -- a measure championed by social conservatives who maintain doctors and nurses should not have to refer patients for services like abortion, medical assistance in dying or gender re-assignment surgery -- is included in the Conservatives' election platform.

The platform was released this week by O'Toole even as he tries to differentiate himself from his predecessor, Andrew Scheer, whose socially conservative views on abortion and LGBTQ rights arguably cost the Conservatives the 2019 election."
How can this be, I thought that the Conservatives don't touch the abortion issue?

Back