• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Decoration: C.D. [Merged]

You are assuming we do not know about the supply system which is, at least in my case, wrong.

One thing I also know is when a support organization fails to adequately support its customers, it's not doing the job it is meant to do.  Finding excuses and reasons, and not working towards a solution to correct the deficiencies only aggravates the problem.

SupersonicMax said:
You are assuming we do not know about the supply system which is, at least in my case, wrong.

Why do you think I was talking about you?  In general as you have experienced on this site people with limited exposure to certain organizations, their procedures and policies certainly like to dictate how those organizations should run.  When things go wrong site members like to ramp up their rhetoric with little evidence to back up their rants.

For the record by organizations in this case I mean all orgs involved in the CD awarding the process.  While that includes the Supply system, they are merely bit players as the ordering process is relatively simple and at the end of day small potatoes in terms of overall cost.  There are a number of pers and orgs across the board that have the resp to  ensure mbrs recieve their CD in a timely fashion.  Local orgs in my experience have usually been the problem with timely awarding of CDs.  The best I have experienced was 17 Wing Winnipeg which had a very good grip on H&A.

MJP,

I did say "we" didn't I?

Regardless of the ins and outs of the process to get a deserving member his CD, I think it's fair to say that it is broken (regardless of where it is broken) if most people receive it 2-3 years late...  Passing the buck and finding excuses won't help.

I good leader will identify the problem as well as the solution. So SM what's your solution?

SupersonicMax said:
MJP,

I did say "we" didn't I? 

Well you did do that and then went on to talk about yourself, which as a fast air guy we expect ;)

I waited two years for the second clasp.  When I started to complain about the delay (I love griping) I was informed that there was no contractor for production of CDs.  Hence the delay.

This is not the first time there has been shortage of CD's or the Bars (if there is a shortage).

At one time if I remember correctly, there was a manufacturing defect to the Bar as the raised " design" on the Bar was not aligned.

CANFORGEN was send at that time.

bald guy said:
I waited two years for the second clasp.  When I started to complain about the delay (I love griping) I was informed that there was no contractor for production of CDs.  Hence the delay.

I'm not far from receiving my CD and clasp on the same day.

Shamrock said:
I'm not far from receiving my CD and clasp on the same day.

I saw this just last month where a member received both on parade. This was obviously not a supply issue though.

MJP said:
Well you did do that and then went on to talk about yourself, which as a fast air guy we expect ;)

Also know as the Fast Air We. Same as the Royal We, but instead it's implied.  ;D

I recently received my C.D. about 8 months after qualifying for it. The medals clerk indicated that getting medals weren't the problem, it was the bars.

SupersonicMax said:
MJP,

I did say "we" didn't I?

Regardless of the ins and outs of the process to get a deserving member his CD, I think it's fair to say that it is broken (regardless of where it is broken) if most people receive it 2-3 years late...  Passing the buck and finding excuses won't help.

For the 12 year mark (medal, vice clasp), in my experience, the biggest problem is actually the chain of command.  I would rank supply chain notably further down the list of offenders.  Others' experiences may be different, but the CoC most assuredly has the responsibility to be proactive, at the very least, highly reactive/responsive to H&A windows/dates.

Last minute TOA offers is another example of where the CoC bears primary responsibility for shortcomings.  DMilC becomes the TOA default baddy, in the same sense that many take the first easy potshot at the supply system for CDs/H&As.

:2c:

G2G

Sheep Dog AT said:
I good leader will identify the problem as well as the solution. So SM what's your solution?

I tought I offered up at least a hint of solution couple of posts up. 

As a clerk, watching the gong show, I was proactive as early as 18 months ahead of my CD.
9 months and counting after retirement without the CD.
Despite my efforts, the unit would not send the paperwork until my release date.

Good2Golf said:
For the 12 year mark (medal, vice clasp), in my experience, the biggest problem is actually the chain of command.  I would rank supply chain notably further down the list of offenders.  Others' experiences may be different, but the CoC most assuredly has the responsibility to be proactive, at the very least, highly reactive/responsive to H&A windows/dates.

Last minute TOA offers is another example of where the CoC bears primary responsibility for shortcomings.  DMilC becomes the TOA default baddy, in the same sense that many take the first easy potshot at the supply system for CDs/H&As.

:2c:

G2G

This is what happens when "Know your subordinates and promote their welfare" is removed from the Principles of Leadership.  Ooops, did I say that out loud...again?

I've been on both sides of the stick for H&A stuff, receiving/being nominated for something and making sure folks got what they were supposed to in a timely fashion.  On one occasion, I was nominated for something, was posted not long after and strangely enough, the paper trail dried up.  I've also had to literally initiate and walk promotion paperwork through the administrative chain to ensure people were promoted on time and under budget because the admin chain wasn't paying attention.  I've had to do the same to ensure folks got their CD's in a reasonable time frame (myself included actually).  With stuff in computer programs up the hoop, not to mention that amount of administrative micromanaging that seems to go on these days, there really isn't any reason for things like this to continue happening.

How many APRV's are done in a given year?  And how many MPRR's are reviewed at each of those?  No reason AT ALL that a CoC should miss out on that CD Due Date thingy that's on that MPRR and start making plans if it's within the next year or less.

:2c: for what it's worth.

MM

I was due for my CD this June, and was told it cannot be ordered until the day you're eligible. Then of course the only clerk with access to the medal ordering system was posted, and everyone had to wait until the new clerk was in, off leave and had an account.

PuckChaser said:
I was due for my CD this June, and was told it cannot be ordered until the day you're eligible. Then of course the only clerk with access to the medal ordering system was posted, and everyone had to wait until the new clerk was in, off leave and had an account.

When I was awarded the CD in 1986, there was no ordering etc and it came in on time. I received the clasp in 1997 in Bosnia. Again, it was pretty much on time.

For my second clasp I researched my eligibility and told my Supt Clerk, who ordered it and told me my calculations were wrong....I would have received it later if not for her efforts.

How can something we've been doing since the earth cooled go so far off the rails? Is it the Good Idea Fairy at work again? Or someone in NDHQ have a bright idea?

Back