• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Commandos honoured in secret Ottawa ceremony

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Canadian Commandos honoured in secret Ottawa ceremony
The Canadian Press
11 March 2011
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20110311/special-forces-medals-110311/

OTTAWA — Canada's governor general honoured a handful of new heroes on Friday.

Unfortunately, we can't tell you how many, what their names might be -- or what they did.

Governor General David Johnson handed out three Stars of Military Valour and two Medals of Military Valour, the second and third highest decorations for bravery to members of the ultra-secret special forces.

In addition, one Meritorious Service Cross, three Meritorious Service Medals and one Mention in Dispatches were also presented at a closed-door ceremony at Rideau Hall.

A release from the vice regal's office said for security and operational reasons, the recipients' names and citations were not released.

It's unclear whether the decorations involve operations in Afghanistan, where roughly 200 members of the special forces have been fighting the Taliban in successive rotations since 2001.

Unlike the Americans, who publicize the exploits of their commandos, Canada keeps secret all aspects of special forces operations.

I am sure that they were very well deserved. 

Congratulations to our unknown heroes.

If the presentations are secret, do the members actually get to wear the medals?

MCG said:
I would hope so, but the secrecy would be instantly gone.

The actual "classified" secrecy (if there is any of this involved) is likely regarding the events described in the citation, not the award of the decoration itself.  Protecting the identity isn't a secret, it's just a long-standing policy we've had.  At least, this is my understanding of it.

MCG said:
I would hope so, but the secrecy would be instantly gone.
One would suspect that the average member of the community does not appear in "mixed company" in orders of dress that includes medals or ribbons all that often. Besides, as noted the details of the events are the sensitive aspects, and not necessarily the award itself.

The members MPRR's / Monitor Mass would only show the medals they have been awarded. The citations regarding the medals is most likely the reason the ceremony was closed to the public.

Quite clearly the butt kicking they gave the Taliban, if described, would implode the average persons mind.

MCG said:
If the presentations are secret, do the members actually get to wear the medals?

The medals aren't secret. And given the rate at which people throughout the CF are earning them, it won't stand out either.

Navalsnipr said:
The members MPRR's / Monitor Mass would only show the medals they have been awarded. The citations regarding the medals is most likely the reason the ceremony was closed to the public.

Where it gets problematic is 20 years from now when someone shows up in a small town Legion hall claiming to be one of those secretly rewarded commandos. Hopefully, in time, their identities, even if not their citations, will be added to the GG database to minimize the potential for "Walts" to take advantage of the secrecy, and to protect their honour from being stolen.

Michael O'Leary said:
Where it gets problematic is 20 years from now when someone shows up in a small town Legion hall claiming to be one of those secretly rewarded commandos. Hopefully, in time, their identities, even if not their citations, will be added to the GG database to minimize the potential for "Walts" to take advantage of the secrecy, and to protect their honour from being stolen.

I don't think that would stop Walts from trying to make up some BS story, having somehow procured MID devices, CinC commendations, and valour or merit medals and crosses...  ::)

I'm thinking that the only opinions of people that the folks who received these honours likely care about are those with whom they were serving when they undertook the actions for which they are recognized, i.e. those who were also there to know what a fellow assaulter, operator or supporter did.

Regards
G2G

"Unfortunately, we can't tell you how many, what their names might be -- or what they did.

Governor General David Johnson handed out three Stars of Military Valour and two Medals of Military Valour, the second and third highest decorations for bravery to members of the ultra-secret special forces.

In addition, one Meritorious Service Cross, three Meritorious Service Medals and one Mention in Dispatches were also presented at a closed-door ceremony at Rideau Hall."

Didn't the reporter just tell us how many?  Do these guys not even read themselves first?

Thank-you for your service to Canada.  :cdn:
You have done us proud.    :-X
Congratulation.  :salute:
Next Beer Is on me Lad's.
Scoty B

Pusser said:
"Unfortunately, we can't tell you how many, what their names might be -- or what they did.

In addition, one Meritorious Service Cross, three Meritorious Service Medals and one Mention in Dispatches were also presented at a closed-door ceremony at Rideau Hall."

Didn't the reporter just tell us how many?  Do these guys not even read themselves first?
At the risk of picking fly poop from ground pepper, what the story and the news release said was that 10 awards were bestowed.  It doesn't say whether anyone received more than one award.  10 awards = 10 people?  I'm guessing most of the time yes, and if someone got more than one award, I'm also guessing this would have been mentioned, given how unusual that might be,** but we don't know for sure.  I'm OK with not knowing how many chests were pinned, but nobody has said how many chests.

** all this subject to information from people who know more, directly, about the process.

Back