• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Combat Action Badge - Now A Dead Idea (Merged Threads)

geo said:
Darn..... really?.............. are you "in" with the web meister?............. Cheez 188! who woulda thought.

All canadian Aircraft are 1XX in their designations..

CP-140, CP-107, CP-121, CC-130, CC-144, CC-150, CF-188, CH-124, CH-135, CH-147,CH-148,CH-149, CF-100, CF-101, CF-104, CF-105, CT-114, CT-142, CT-155, CT-156 CC-137, CT-133, CU-161....

CF-5 being a notable exception

Actually, the CF-5 was a takeoff of the Northrup F5 designation.  The true Canadian designation was CF-116.  I suspect that not calling it the F-16 had something to do with a little known US fighter. ;D

eurowing said:
Actually, the CF-5 was a takeoff of the Northrup F5 designation.  The true Canadian designation was CF-116.  I suspect that not calling it the F-16 had something to do with a little known US fighter. ;D

We numbered the Arrow....CF-105...........the americans had the F-105 Thundercheif......so i dont see that being an issue for the CF-116

Although we have not seen the sheer scale and intensity of combat in Afghanistan since Korea, we have had people in many nasty and brutal situations over the years.  I agree that there should be some special recognition for those whose job is done outside the wire; patrolling, in OPs, on gun lines, in FOO parties, doing mobility and counter-mobility, delivering commodities, recovering vehicles or closing with and destroying the enemy, returning to camp to rest, replen and re-bomb before going out again.  However I do not think that someone who spends 6 months writing Emails in Kandahar (as opposed to writing Emails in Valcartier, Ottawa, Gagetown, Edmonton, wherever), sleeps in nice Hesco Bastion every night and gets their 3 squares and midnight snack at the mess after 2 beers and some foosball deserves anything more than the tour medal they receive, even if their camp is rocketed or they go outside once in a while on a milk run as an "air sentry" or to deliver school desks to a CIMIC project. 

Well Said, there are a few who go around after spending there time inside the wire that act like big shots but the boys outside the wire working like dogs all the time do need some deserved recognition. I dont know about the combat patch but it would be nice to distinguish between tours outside the wire and inside the wire in other ways. For example, instead of giving a patch of some sorts, give the boys outside the wire extra danger pay for everyday outside the wire they spend. That would be much more appealing in my mind then a patch. Extra money is always nice....

regulator12 said:
Well Said, there are a few who go around after spending there time inside the wire that act like big shots but the boys outside the wire working like dogs all the time do need some deserved recognition. I dont know about the combat patch but it would be nice to distinguish between tours outside the wire and inside the wire in other ways. For example, instead of giving a patch of some sorts, give the boys outside the wire extra danger pay for everyday outside the wire they spend. That would be much more appealing in my mind then a patch. Extra money is always nice....

Yeah, but even that is very difficult to define.  You can easily be assigned a position that, in theory, is "inside", yet find your circumstances have changed and that you're "outside" much more than anticipated.  Even staff floppers can find themselves doing things outside the norm.  How do you tell?  Wait until the end of the tour?  Take what members say at face value?  Or have someone track each individual's activities?  A member of the line infantry is simple - others are not.

Like the award of special shinies, this is very - very - difficult to track.  If we think badges are an issue, throw money into the equation...whoa!

Not that it matters - I suspect we're getting badges, with all the headaches they'll bring.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Yeah, but even that is very difficult to define.  You can easily be assigned a position that, in theory, is "inside", yet find your circumstances have changed and that you're "outside" much more than anticipated.  Even staff floppers can find themselves doing things outside the norm.  How do you tell?  Wait until the end of the tour?  Take what members say at face value?  Or have someone track each individual's activities?  A member of the line infantry is simple - others are not.

Like the award of special shinies, this is very - very - difficult to track.  If we think badges are an issue, throw money into the equation...whoa!

Not that it matters - I suspect we're getting badges, with all the headaches they'll bring.

And the fact that even those infanteers employed inside the wire, are serving in essential positions so that those who happen to be placed in an outside of the wire position can do their jobs. Why the need to differentiate when each and every postion is essntial to the mission?

I think that just like medals, these patches will have to be taken with a grain of salt when you see them on a members tunic.

On one side, if this thing goes on, you'll see an expansion of the "pointy end vs. WOGs" mentality. On the other side of the spectrum, you'll have people on a TAV, trying to get in a convoy, hoping to qualify. Dumb, but we all know it'll happen.

In the end, it's just more things to sew onto your uniform.

If you've been out the wire, and fought, then you know you've fought. You don't need a patch to give you the confidence that comes with that.

When I go this coming year, I'll be working out of KAF. Yes, we'll be going out to other positions, but why would I want a patch if my vehicle or one of the vehicles around me hits a mine? Just an advertisement for people to start asking you stupid questions.

Sig_Des said:
I think that just like medals, these patches will have to be taken with a grain of salt when you see them on a members tunic.

On one side, if this thing goes on, you'll see an expansion of the "pointy end vs. WOGs" mentality. On the other side of the spectrum, you'll have people on a TAV, trying to get in a convoy, hoping to qualify. Dumb, but we all know it'll happen.

In the end, it's just more things to sew onto your uniform.

If you've been out the wire, and fought, then you know you've fought. You don't need a patch to give you the confidence that comes with that.
When I go this coming year, I'll be working out of KAF. Yes, we'll be going out to other positions, but why would I want a patch if my vehicle or one of the vehicles around me hits a mine? Just and advertisement for people to start asking you stupid questions.

+1 Des!

We'll know it's really headed south when the issue of minature/metal insignia for DEU 3B comes up...you know, so people can see it on someone's short sleeve shirt while they walk along the mezzanine at 101 to go to the cafeteria...

G2G

I cant wait until they make a badge for staying in less than a 3-star !!!!

This whole badge thing  is of the non-heterosexual persuasion

Add this to the proposed purple heart (Canadian Edition) and you can hear the gnashing of teeth as the Canadian system of Honours and Awards becomes more and more a system of Honors and Awards.

I think someone very senior has spent too much time down south...

I agree this is a huge box being opened! Seriously, just going off the criteria listed above by Geo, basically everyone deployed would be entitled to something. Rockets landed all tour, some far, some extremely close. Like someone mentioned do warning shots count? Where are the badges supposed to go on our combats?

All problems aside when will some direction on this come out, pictures of the badges etc? Thanks

Deja Vu from another thread, so I wont go on to much of a rant here. maybe

To those who think folks will ' hop ' on a convoy in order to earn an award; not realistic. This isnt the old days where we took our friends from other trades out on day trips to view the lovely countriside. We all did it, it was encouraged. Not in Afghanistan.

To those who feel this will create an ' us or them ' state within the military; that boat sailed, the obese lady sung, Elvis has left the building. We all know it exists, and we all know we deal with those issues on many levels. Many of my best friends are from 'other' trades, we dont begrudge each other our dues.

To those who feel it's 'too Amercian' ; get over it already. When we need a lift, they fly us, when we need anything over there, they give it to us, when our friends are wounded and need evac, THEY fly in and save us. Armies evolve, traditions evolve, dont worry we are still Canadian.

In the end it boils down to personal feelings on recognizing what some people have gone through, suffered through, and achieved under the most demanding circumstances a person can experience, combat. Somehow a badge denoting this does not seem like a bad idea to me.

It seems to me this will take yrs to get started. All that paper work to go through and such and who makes the decision to say what batch colour you get? CO or higher? and if higher then we all know it will take a long time to get one.

Why not just issue everyone with a miniature wearable version of those scrolling electronic signs to list off everywhere where one has been and everything that one has done or had done to one?

They could even be made in blue with blue lights for the a** f**ce.

Loachman said:
Why not just issue everyone with a miniature wearable version of those scrolling electronic signs to list off everywhere where one has been and everything that one has done or had done to one?

They could even be made in blue with blue lights for the a** f**ce.

That is so passe.  Soon everyone will have a PalmPilot, and then we can just download their MPRI, or whatever, to eachother simply by pointing at eachother with our own PalmPilots........isn't 'digitalization' great!

There are a lot of war hereos you get who havent been in any combat situation blowing smoke up arses. They talk the talk but never walked the walk. There is believe it or not just a small few out of the battle group who have been in combat. They deserve some recognition. This fight that we got into really started in may 06 when Bravo company got hit hard in afghanistan. It wont last forever but will be remembered in history as the next big thing that canada was involved in. Being in Kabul or even roto 0 did not have the danger that being in the south has now. Its a fact and giving the small few a badge so that maybe down the road people can see who was in the SH** whatever let it be. Its not a bad idea

And so it begins.

Before any details about eligibility/back-dating/anything are known as FACT.

I suggest a lock. Big old can of worms here. Let's wait until the actual fish shows up in the pond.

Locked pending availability of a formal message on this issue.

Back