• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Built Sub Hunter

It is small and i personally wouldn't call this a su hunter.  However you have to start somewhere.  Maybe the CPF and MH folks see a use for this as a detection platform and it has potential as an EW asset but you need more than MAD for subsurface stuff IMO. 

I assume it's a vehicle with the capacity to carry other, different payloads.

Could it be part of this discussion ... something suitable for a small combatant?

It can find the sub, ID and then send a automated strongly worded letter to the owners.

Max payload is a meer 20lbs.  So zero search or kill store capability.  Hence why I say calling it a sub hunter is stretching it.  It would be like me calling myself a duck hunter and sitting in the blind with a pair of bino's and a thermos of coffee. 

I've always fancied the concept of "A Very Canadian Response".

Stealthy subsurface vehicle stealthily transiting Canadian waters.
Stealthy vehicle detected by Canadian sensors.
Canadian asset deploys submunition.
Submunition swims stealthily to stealthy subsurface vehicle and stealthily attaches itself to the hull with a limpet mine style magnet.
Submunition announces itself with three sharp taps.

Knock, knock, knock.

"Greetings and welcome to Canada.  Bienvenue au Canada.  We are pleased that you have chosen our waters for your current voyage. We request that you kindly report to the nearest Customs Port and declare yourself.  For your convenience Customs Ports are located at the following locations: .... alternately you may declare yourself to any of our roving Customs Officers located on Her Majesty's Canadian Ships. They will be happy to accept your declaration.  Nominal service charges will apply. Visa and Mastercard only are accepted.  We wish you a safe trip.  Bon Voyage."

Limpet submunition then starts broadcasting a very noisy and annoying ping pattern.

Eye In The Sky said:
Max payload is a meer 20lbs.  So zero search or kill store capability.  Hence why I say calling it a sub hunter is stretching it.  It would be like me calling myself a duck hunter and sitting in the blind with a pair of bino's and a thermos of coffee.

How about a sub stalker then? 

It would have to be queued by something which is likely the overall concept.  Another tool, but not one that can defend the coastline, but could be used to aid in that task.

Googling the thread name should, realistically, lead you to a website like this .

E.R. Campbell said:
I assume it's a vehicle with the capacity to carry other, different payloads.

Could it be part of this discussion ... something suitable for a small combatant?

I would say it would be good tool for skimmers, ones with and ones without a MH embarked.

Colin P said:
It can find the sub, ID and then send a automated strongly worded letter to the owners.

As long as its in both official languages.

Back on topic.  How would this compare to the Boeing Scan Eagle? 

The Scan looks not very big large.  Did not the CAF test the Scan Eagle some years back?

Spencer100 said:

The Scan looks not very big large.  Did not the CAF test the Scan Eagle some years back?

The Army operated Scan Eagle in KAF and off the back of some CPFs (may be currently on-going?).  The wingspan is 6' or so.

Spencer100 said:

Evidently; see here.

Back