• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Automated Pilot Selection System (CAPSS)

dr.phil said:
I was just on the last session that completed and I'll start by saying that it was a really cool experience and you'll learn a lot about yourself regardless of whether you pass or not. Just go in there with an open mind and the knowing the fact that it will be challenging, but put 110% into doing everything accurately and focus. There were 14 candidates on this course and only 4 passed CAPSS (29% successful). Two with previous flying experience and two without... so it's true when they say you don't need flying experience to succeed, but you have to be able to learn & adapt quickly and not choke under pressure. That's what will get you through.

The simulator is indeed, very sensitive. Very smooth and light movements is what will prevent you from over/under correcting. It's also very important to know how to react with your yoke/rudders when certain instruments start changing. I cannot stress enough how important it is to know every instrument, what it's telling you and how to correct it with your controls. If you don't understand your instruments or know how to react to them, it will be difficult for you. But most of all... relax. You will be nervous, but part of the challenge is being able to do your job while under pressure. Good luck to everyone heading to CFASC!

Milpoints inbound.
I assume the study guide is all you need to prepare for this? Or I should get some time on MS Flight Simulator X before  heading over?
Thanks for your feedback.
:cdn:

Noctis said:
Milpoints inbound.
I assume the study guide is all you need to prepare for this? Or I should get some time on MS Flight Simulator X before  heading over?
Thanks for your feedback.
:cdn:

I would highly recommend playing that and doing some of the flying lessons that are provided with it as well. It will help you understand the instruments a lot better and you can get a feel of how your movements affect the instrumentation. Before I went, I had only used a keyboard to play it... so you don't necessarily have to go and shell out hundreds of dollars for a joystick and pedals either. What's more important is understanding what to do.

dr.phil said:
I would highly recommend playing that and doing some of the flying lessons that are provided with it as well. It will help you understand the instruments a lot better and you can get a feel of how your movements affect the instrumentation. Before I went, I had only used a keyboard to play it... so you don't necessarily have to go and shell out hundreds of dollars for a joystick and pedals either. What's more important is understanding what to do.

Thank you for your response. I assume the only plane I should practice with is the Cesna?
Keyboard and mouse here too :p I guess it's great practice on crosschecking, I'll start tonight.

Hi there. I have an AEC aircrew selections test coming up...
I was wondering if anyone had any information on it, the joining instructions didn't give me any study packages or specific information to study beforehand.
There are lots of information for people applying to be Pilots and ACSO but couldn't find anything on AECs.

Thank you so much,

Josh

Cheers.

seagull135 said:
There are lots of information for people applying to be Pilots and ACSO but couldn't find anything on AECs.

You may find some here.

AEC Aircrew Selection 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/103971.0

seagull135 said:
Hi there. I have an AEC aircrew selections test coming up...
I was wondering if anyone had any information on it, the joining instructions didn't give me any study packages or specific information to study beforehand.

I did the test recently, there's almost nothing you can study for, maybe brush up a little math if you think you need to.  You either have it or you don't, just go in well rested and be prepared to think and think quickly.

So this is really dumb and embarrassing but I had my interview for pilot yesterday and when we were done the interviewer gave me a small blue booklet with information I need to know by the time I reach Trenton, ON for Aircrew Selection.

Unfortunately...today was garbage day and one of my roommates threw it out by accident. I can, if I have to, email or call my interviewer and ask for another one but obviously I'd like to minimize looking like an A-hole.

I tried looking for it online but couldn't find it. Again it's a small blue booklet with information for pilot applicants including the control system, lateral movements, longitudinal movement, vertical movements and a quiz. There was a few more pages on things but I didn't get that far.

If anyone could point me to a pdf of this online that would be great. Otherwise I'll just get another one from the recruiting centre...

Nothing wrong with fixing a mistake - better sooner than to leave it festering.

A good life lesson there in general, not just in this instance.

Shit happens - get another booklet.  The recruiter won't really care - or at least they shouldn't.

It might be worth inquiring about CAPSS with the recruiting office as well. The reason I say that is that as of last July, CAPSS is no longer used as part of aircrew selection. The testing process is now entirely done through the Canadian Forces Aircrew Selection Test (CFAST). You can find the candidate guide for the CFAST here:

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/cf-aircrew-selection-centre/candidate-guide.page

I'm not sure why you were given a blue CAPSS booklet and told you'd be doing CAPSS, but I get the feeling the recruiter may have been mistaken or not yet informed about CAPSS' retirement (which seems odd).

Please note I am not a recruiter, nor am I in the Canadian Forces, but I am a fellow pilot candidate who attended (and failed) ASC last June on CAPSS, and am waiting to go back this June on CFAST, and this information has been confirmed to me a number of times.

On that note, the CAPSS booklet is not supposed to be made public (or at least wasn't), so if you need another one, you'll need to get it from the recruiting centre.

Cheers,
Ryan

I refrained from posting on this thread until I could "verify" a few things.

But now I am more inclined to say "Hey, RyanHealy29....forget about pursuing Pilot as an occupation.  How would you like to be a Recruiter, seeing as it appears you are obviously more informed than them?"

:facepalm:

Thanks for all of the positive feed-back. I'll email or call him tomorrow.
I should probably bring up the whole CAPSS vs. CFAST thing. If this means getting the correct information maybe this works out for the best.

DAA,  what were you looking to 'verify'?

CAPSS is out, CFAST is in.  Fact.

All info provided for CFAST candidates is provided online (ASC Website).

Good luck folks. 

Cheers

;)

T6Driver said:
DAA,  what were you looking to 'verify'?

Just the terminology being thrown about (CAPPS and CFAST) and I wanted to get my hands on that "blue" book that was given to the applicant.

I know that the information is already available to Pilot applicants at the ASC website but you just never know what a CFRC is handing out these days.

Understood.  Makes sense to me.  The idea that a RC would be delivering the CAPSS product to a candidate chuffs me somewhat.  So much effort has gone into preventing this and it has not happened that a candidate showed up uniformed since week 2 of the CFAST being FOC.

Cheers

T6Driver said:
Understood.  Makes sense to me.  The idea that a RC would be delivering the CAPSS product to a candidate chuffs me somewhat.  So much effort has gone into preventing this and it has not happened that a candidate showed up uniformed since week 2 of the CFAST being FOC.

I full understand just where you are coming from.  I was actually under the impression that the problem went a tad bit beyond the 2 week period.

My first thoughts on the original post were "Hard copy, provided in a blue covered something or another and mis-labelled".  But the link to the study material was being provided earlier but not accessible until recently (in my terms, not that I check that often).

So whilst your efforts have paid off, someone might have done an "oooops".

Hello All.  Long time no see.

Does anyone know where or have a copy of the old recruiting regulations for pilot candidates from the old CAPSS system.

Specifically I am looking for the reference / citation where if a candidate fails they can retake the test after obtaining a civilian pilots licence. 

I did find the reference here on Army.ca but there was no citation as to where it came from.  I have a person who needs to provide the reference/location of the previous regulations and it's nearly impossible to find.    I've been using the Wayback site to research multiple CAF sites  all the way back to 2000 but I can't find it. 

Any help is much appreciated.

Trinity said:
Hello All.  Long time no see.

Does anyone know where or have a copy of the old recruiting regulations for pilot candidates from the old CAPSS system.

Specifically I am looking for the reference / citation where if a candidate fails they can retake the test after obtaining a civilian pilots licence. 

I did find the reference here on Army.ca but there was no citation as to where it came from.  I have a person who needs to provide the reference/location of the previous regulations and it's nearly impossible to find.    I've been using the Wayback site to research multiple CAF sites  all the way back to 2000 but I can't find it. 

Any help is much appreciated.

My understanding is you can retake the test after 12 months regardless of getting a PPL.

Back