• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Automated Pilot Selection System (CAPSS)

Thanks for the help everyone. A few more questions then..
When turning to a new heading in the simulator are you 'yaw-ing' into the turn, or rolling and pulling up?
Whats the cognitive test entail?
Is that it for Trenton? Show up, do the sims when theyre booked and the rest is 'free time?' Im having trouble changing from army to air force mentality I guess  ;)

I flew without my rudder pedals for most of the simulator sessions.  However, I found them useful to get back on course instead of using my ailerons (which were super sensitive).

The cog test is a dumb test which I cannot tell you about for obvious reasons.  Try practicing simple psychomotor intelligence quotient tests. 

Thats it for Trenton.  Bring a book.

LOTS of free time in Trenton, which is really nice. It wasn't too cold out when I was there in October so I had alot of time to run/keep up with school work and found a nice spot on the way to the offbase CANEX to watch some Herc movements.

Quag said:
I flew without my rudder pedals for most of the simulator sessions.  However, I found them useful to get back on course instead of using my ailerons (which were super sensitive).

Now I have aquestion - you did pass ASC, right?  See, by turning with pedals only you are using the secondary effect of rudder or whatever it is called which comes with a bit of skidding into the turn instead of clean turn.  I thought skidding/slipping is one of the negative indicators on your test along with other bad things.

I barely used the rudders for that very reason. The rudders are not self centering so I really focused on just trying to center the ball perfectly at any particular power setting then just going back to the usual crosscheck. The output graph for the ball is very sensitive and mine was off by half the graph everytime it seemed; it bothered me so much that in one of the last sim sessions I had my face about 4 inches from the turn coordinator trying to get it perfect to teach that darn graph a lesson! The long and the short of it is there is really nothing anybody can tell you on the forums, they give you the tools in the book and the sim sessions are lessons so stick to the gameplan and you'll be fine, I had an absolute blast flying CAPSS and didn't want the last sim session to end! Then again I was the only one that didn't crash once the entire week.. ok ok I'll stop bragging now  ;D

I didn't crash once :D

Anyways, I never used the the rudder during CAPSS (whatever it's called).  Did just fine.

Max

Bah, the Sea King sim has them all beat. No visuals at all!

We do have a virtual reality sim for deck landings, not part of the training package as of yet but still pretty cool.

Inch,

I think I saw that sim featured on daily planet, the one in the full motion jetranger mockup cockpit? Guess it doesn't matter what it is once you strap the VR goggles on. I also caught an episode of 'truth duty valor' featuring the mighty Sea King; they dedicated a large portion to the sea survival course... I definatly have a ton of respect for anybody that can be turned upside-down in a giant cabin mockup and maintain their calm!

*end hijack*

Astrodog said:
Inch,

I think I saw that sim featured on daily planet, the one in the full motion jetranger mockup cockpit? Guess it doesn't matter what it is once you strap the VR goggles on. I also caught an episode of 'truth duty valor' featuring the mighty Sea King; they dedicated a large portion to the sea survival course... I definatly have a ton of respect for anybody that can be turned upside-down in a giant cabin mockup and maintain their calm!

*end hijack*

Nope, it's a Sea King seat, collective, and cyclic combined with a VR helmet and sweet @ss surround sound. It's not really flyable, the flight model suffered a bit in favour of the visuals. You're able to look around the aircraft and flight deck just by moving your head, it incorporates two images, one for each eye so that you have depth perception. Designed more for reducing the shock factor when coming over the deck for the first time with the hangar face about 15ft from your rotor arc.

Ahhhh ok, it must've been the same software just applied to different hardware. They did have a Sea King driver taking it for a hop but they also showed a JetRanger VR cockpit.

weiss said:
Now I have aquestion - you did pass ASC, right?  See, by turning with pedals only you are using the secondary effect of rudder or whatever it is called which comes with a bit of skidding into the turn instead of clean turn.  I thought skidding/slipping is one of the negative indicators on your test along with other bad things.

Yes I realize all this, but I think that you can cheat the system this way.  I didn't use them during my turns, only during straight flight to stay on heading.

Quag said:
Yes I realize all this, but I think that you can cheat the system this way.  I didn't use them during my turns, only during straight flight to stay on heading.

Uh, that's how the pedals are supposed to be used in straight and level flight. If your wings are level and you're still turning, you're yawing and need a little pedal to stay straight.

Anyone else going to ACS March 19-23? Also, any other words of wisdom? I was wondering if CAPSS involves any takeoff/landing/approach stuff, just curious. Thanks.

Do what you are told to do is my best advise.  Put everything you know about flying aside and re-learn it the way they want you to do it....

Max

Lol I'll take that as one of those situations where you could tell me if theres takeoff/landing, but then you would have to kill me. Thanks for the advice Max. Anyone going March 19 gimme a shout.

I guess you'll know more when you get into the sim as what you'll do over there!  I'm not sure we can talk too too much about it.. All I want to tell is that there is nothing too too hard. 

Max

Just want to confirm if CAPSS (the pilot selecting machine ;D)has to be redone if it was succesful and someone has had no offers in years then reapply. Would that person need to redo CAPSS after a certain time (years) or is it good for life?

I have heard different stories about that subject

Thanks

Back