• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Army - when did it start?

Simple question really - when did "Canadian Army" start ??- was my original question - see beginning of this post!

In retrospect , I suppose a precise definition of "Canadian Army " would have been appropriate-
now we are  getting into origins of Canadian Militia Regiments!!-
Oh well -
a good discussion.

(To answer latest "poster" I suppose the earliest evidence of Canadian military force, the Militia , can be traced back to the early French Regime in Canada in the St.Lawrence and Acadia areas in the mid seventeenth centuries.

An order from the the Governor in 1651 "instructs the the  Captain of inhbitants at Three Rivers -Trois Riviers - to have arms/drill/ and to take turns at Guard Duty"

per Page I of "The Concise Lineage of the Canadian Army" compiled by C.H.Stewart 1969 Toronto Canada 135pp Project H Publications

http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/cpsc-ccsp/sc-cs/o5_e.cfm

The first use of "Canada" as an official name came in 1791 when the Province of Quebec was divided into the colonies of Upper and Lower Canada. In 1841, the two Canadas were again united under one name, the Province of Canada.
Now the winner will be regular or militia /reserve or sedentary unit formed closest to that date???

Back