• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's tanks

It's grossly over simplistic, but "three gets you one" is a start point:

One on operations, one for training, one in R&O.

As fleet sizes grow the ratios grow more favorable, and you can take risk in the latter two groups, but it gives a start point for discussion.

And, at curren rates of battlefield attrition, we're looking at a couple of hours worth of tanks...

If you want a tank regiment for each regular force brigade that's 162 tanks ,so basically your looking at roughly 450 to 600 tanks...if you're actually serious about maintaining an armoured force and you are probably cycling a squadron's worth thru this facility every year and at low tempo and 30 or more at a higher level of operations.
That would at least justify the cost of this place purely on economic grounds... problem is that we are nation that will spend tens of millions in order to save or at least appear to save a couple bucks.

If you want a tank regiment for each regular force brigade that's 162 tanks ,so basically your looking at roughly 450 to 600 tanks...if you're actually serious about maintaining an armoured force and you are probably cycling a squadron's worth thru this facility every year and at low tempo and 30 or more at a higher level of operations.
That would at least justify the cost of this place purely on economic grounds... problem is that we are nation that will spend tens of millions in order to save or at least appear to save a couple bucks.
its curious the facility is 7 yrs old. I wonder how many tanks have been through there?

its curious the facility is 7 yrs old. I wonder how many tanks have been through there?
Its a base-maintenance facility (5 CDSG) that is there to provide 2nd line support to the Leopards at the School and C Sqn RCD. Its not all that curious to have maintenance facilities for tanks! Tanks have regular maintenance schedules in addition to repair work that can be helped by such a facility. Overhead cranes are really really helpful, as is having an indoor heated area to work in Canada. As the post-Kandahar tank plan took shape maintenance at the bases that would garrison the Leopard 2s was considered amongst other things - hence that facility opening in Gagetown in 2016. So its quite possible that all of the Gagetown-based Leopard 2s have gone through there in their time for inspections and repairs. Although as a Leopard C2 Battle Captain I knew some CFRs by heart due to their prolonged maintenance woes (like 088) while others just had their monthly (F1) and annual (F3) checks and maintenance work and went about their business without any drama.

The article says their new 52 ton overhead crane, yet the rated load says on the live block 50 ton. Found that funny. I wonder if they can repair the hulls or if that is beyond their scope.
CgmgLsYWMAUvKWk

This probably shouldn't be posted in this thread, but I find it really silly to see people who are NOT out in the field (either on exercise or active operations) wearing camo. WTF? Is there not work dress anymore?

This probably shouldn't be posted in this thread, but I find it really silly to see people who are NOT out in the field (either on exercise or active operations) wearing camo. WTF? Is there not work dress anymore?
No, it was dropped as a cost saving measure. If people work in their three sets of CADPAT/NCD, the CAF doesn't need to also issue them three sets of work dress.

The article says their new 52 ton overhead crane, yet the rated load says on the live block 50 ton. Found that funny. I wonder if they can repair the hulls or if that is beyond their scope.
CgmgLsYWMAUvKWk
Geez! That gentleman on the far left is a mountain in uniform! You could likely get pretty mouthy in a bar if he was standing beside you. Of course it likely would cost you a lot of beers to keep him standing beside you.

Its a base-maintenance facility (5 CDSG) that is there to provide 2nd line support to the Leopards at the School and C Sqn RCD. Its not all that curious to have maintenance facilities for tanks! Tanks have regular maintenance schedules in addition to repair work that can be helped by such a facility. Overhead cranes are really really helpful, as is having an indoor heated area to work in Canada. As the post-Kandahar tank plan took shape maintenance at the bases that would garrison the Leopard 2s was considered amongst other things - hence that facility opening in Gagetown in 2016. So its quite possible that all of the Gagetown-based Leopard 2s have gone through there in their time for inspections and repairs. Although as a Leopard C2 Battle Captain I knew some CFRs by heart due to their prolonged maintenance woes (like 088) while others just had their monthly (F1) and annual (F3) checks and maintenance work and went about their business without any drama.
Every base with tanks down here now has a 3rd line facility, usually with OEM contractor support. It will be interesting to see if the Light Tank (sorry Mobile Protected Firepower Vehicle) gets the same amount of support.

I had thought back when the Leo2 change was announced that Edmonton was support to get a 3rd line facility?

Being Canadian, we'll compromise between Edmonton and Gagetown, so build a third line facility in Thunder Bay, no doubt...
It at least has a railhead there.
I was suspecting something in Northern Quebec, that only has a single lane road.

Back