• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's tanks

fa4c0ce0-2b3f-4088-8a07-8bb32de425f9_text.gif
That is quite the White Castle there

Maybe. It complicates logistics, though. Be better to give them full battalion's worth of any particular major equipment.

Poland 14 2A4
Spain 6 2A4
Norway 8 2A4
Canada 8 2A4
36 2A4's

Germany 18 2A6
Portugal 3 2A6
21 2A6's

Sweden 10 2A?

UK 14 Challengers
US 31 Abrams

various 405 T72's
Poland at least 60 PT-91's

Ukrainians have gotten used to getting what ever we send them

Poland 14 2A4
Spain 6 2A4
Norway 8 2A4
Canada 8 2A4
36 2A4's

Germany 18 2A6
Portugal 3 2A6
21 2A6's

Sweden 10 2A?

UK 14 Challengers
US 31 Abrams

various 405 T72's

We’ve seen numbers for other large pieces of kit (HIMARS, various artillery) increase incrementally after initial donations. We may see the same with tanks, particularly from smaller militaries who have larger friends to hide behind (like us). We can afford larger proportionate donations without truly compromising our security. The truck will be seeing in the long term which countries then replace their fleets and which see it as an opportunity to sneakily divest a capability that some governments don’t want anyway.

Google is a great help:

1653475423_5.jpg

Tomorrow's headline - Ukrainian engineers relocate to Turkey.

Today's headlines Bulgaria, Romania, Slovakia, Czechia, Poland, Estonia, Germany, Belgium, France refurbishing worn equipment from Ukraine.

The Russians presented with the Cambodia and Laos problem.

Poland 14 2A4
Spain 6 2A4
Norway 8 2A4
Canada 8 2A4
36 2A4's

Germany 18 2A6
Portugal 3 2A6
21 2A6's

Sweden 10 2A?

Sweden has 2A5s modified locally to a local standard

Stridsvagn 122 (Strv 122) (IPA: [ˈstrɪ̂tːsvaŋn];[Note 1] is a Swedish main battle tank based on the German Leopard 2 improved variant, just like the German Leopard 2A5, utilizing newer technology such as command-, control-, and fire-control systems, as well as reinforced armour and long-term combat capacity. Externally, the vehicle can be distinguished from the Leopard 2A5 by the French GALIX smoke dispensers, different storage bins, and the thicker crew hatches

UK 14 Challengers
US 31 Abrams

various 405 T72's

Wiki does a fair show of describing the degree of standardization in the Leopard 2 community.

She specifically said that the donated tanks will be replaced by tanks that may not be Leo2A4s NOT that they won’t be Leo’s.
A nuance that is not picked up very well by the media.
Also no indication on timeline so I will not be expecting anything soon given we are now a year into our UOR for ATGMs etc. with still nothing announced nor any announced plans to replace M777s and artillery ammunition.

One could hope we jump on the A7+ bandwagon, and use this as a opportunity to standardize our fleet
The back log now is years.

If I was the CDS I would tell the gov you gave my tanks away...I'll take a 5 for 1 new Lav builds from GDLS-C. I need a mortar carrier, Air defence etc.

That would be the best bang for the buck...plus go for gold say 10 to 1

The back log now is years.

If I was the CDS I would tell the gov you gave my tanks away...I'll take a 5 for 1 new Lav builds from GDLS-C. I need a mortar carrier, Air defence etc.

That would be the best bang for the buck...plus go for gold say 10 to 1
either that or ditch leopard entirely, get M1's from the US, probably be able to buy or lease the former USMC tanks while we get more built, I hear at max capacity the factory could produce upwards of 300+ tanks a year if the ramped up production.

either that or ditch leopard entirely, get M1's from the US, probably be able to buy or lease the former USMC tanks while we get more built, I hear at max capacity the factory could produce upwards of 300+ tanks a year if the ramped up production.
Lima, OH was originally designed to produce over 250 tanks a month. I don’t think it actually ever produced more than 100 tanks a month though.
During GWOT the US Army wanted to close it, and Congress refused.
It was mothballed for the most part and set on a ~100 unit a year lowest rate to keep the doors open, and apparently had dropped to 1-2 for some months.
Based on current deliveries of export and domestic Abrams it is running at least 450 vehicles a year currently.
I suspect the Army and GDLS have been more interested in increasing production again in the last year…
Apparently it was building around 15 a month last year at this time, or around 180 a year…. So it already doubled from last year.

Additionally there are refurb/rebuild facilities globally that can upgrade older Abrams to current M1A2SepV3 spec, in Germany, Poland and in the USA.

If you look at a timeline to get tanks, you’re going to get a new Abrams much sooner than getting a new Leo 2 off a production line of you where to order today.

If you think Canada closed it’s eyes during GWOT, down here a lot of folks didn’t see a need for tanks anymore, and this is one case where the pork barreling from Congress actually averted a complete catastrophe.

Last edited:
The Ukrainians are also asking for fighter jets.

Apparently they don't need them. Which begs the question of what point is an Air Superiority Air Force if their capabilities can be met by other means.

The demands for fighter a/c are primarily coming from the top. Getting them would be more of a symbolic gesture than anything.. Sure, the Uks would get some use out of them, but it fundamentally wouldn't be game changing (at least not in the quantities that they could conceivably acquire). Uks at every level across the conflict are screaming for more tanks.

Back