• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's First Nations - CF help, protests, solutions, etc. (merged)

Comment: Last thing First Nations need is foreign groups hijacking our future

By: Ellis Ross

Most Canadians are becoming painfully aware that there is a distinct movement underway to undermine our resource economy and with it, undo the achievements of Aboriginal community leaders who have been successfully reconciling Aboriginal rights and title with the Crown for the past 15 years.

Many of those lining up against the Coastal GasLink pipeline are non-Aboriginal, while some are even from south of the border.
Foreign influence is nothing new, but what we are seeing today is a well-executed campaign financed by the likes of Tides Canada and the U.S.-based Rockefeller Foundation.

Researcher Vivian Krause has well documented the source of these funds and has followed the distribution of money to environmental activist groups here in Canada. If she wasn’t taken seriously before, I’m sure Canadians will take another look at her research today.

Caught in the middle are First Nations such as the Wet’suwet’en, whose people are being divided by a question of authority between the elected band council members and hereditary chiefs. The other group that’s caught in the middle are everyday British Columbians — including fellow Aboriginals who just want to get home, to work or to the hospital.

The fact of the matter is that all 203 First Nations in British Columbia have different approaches to governance. The last thing any of us need is intervention from foreign groups that want to hijack our future for their own objectives.

Unfortunately, that’s what’s happening right now. I can assure you that most Aboriginal people, their elected band councils and even their hereditary chiefs are far more interested in ending poverty, suicide and the hopelessness we inherited from the past than in pleasing some environmental activist group.

We appreciate the concern that most Canadians have for the well-being of our Aboriginal peoples. But we want reconciliation on our own terms.

It might make you feel better to stand in front of a bridge or stop a railway crossing, but what you are really doing is turning public opinion against First Nations who never asked for your “help” in the first place.

We are lucky that no one has been seriously hurt or killed so far. Most Aboriginal leaders want to keep it that way.

That being said, I do take offence when fellow Aboriginals stick their nose where it doesn’t belong. Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, who has been president of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs since 1998, is a prime example by recently declaring that “reconciliation cannot be achieved at gunpoint.”

Police wouldn’t have to get involved if we didn’t have outsiders like Phillip stirring up the pot and dividing us, instead of supporting all First Nations equally.

Many First Nations have invested years into establishing their own rights and title, only to have inflammatory comments and actions attempt to set back genuine efforts at reconciliation.

Time and again, self-appointed “Aboriginal spokespeople” try to push their own agenda at the expense of those living both on- and off-reserve.

However, as an elected chief councillor of the Haisla Nation for a number of years, I learned a few things along the way.

First, work from the ground up — meaning do what you can for anybody in need an opportunity at a good life — regardless of ethnicity.

Second, we are not always talking about Aboriginal people. If we pull First Nations out of poverty, we in turn strengthen all other communities, provinces and the country as a whole.

Last of all, stick to the facts. In this case, read all of the case law delivered by the courts and understand the principles that each case provides, and then use these principles to build the future you want.

The bottom line is First Nations want to be independent from the Indian Act funding, and we definitely want to break the cycle of poverty that was passed down to us.

There are very brave Aboriginal leaders out there who are not swayed by distraction politics and they always do what’s best for their communities.

Many of our matriarchs, elders and chiefs have been waiting for decades to see the day when we could see our children and our grandchildren succeed. That day came 15 years ago in my community.

It will be more than just a shame if those people who want to see us fail achieve their goals. I, for one, think that fighting for a future for the next generation of Aboriginals is a worthwhile fight.

For that simple reason, I will continue to oppose those who want to keep us poor and under the Indian Act.

This includes foreign money that has no business interfering with reconciliation.

https://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/op-ed/comment-last-thing-first-nations-need-is-foreign-groups-hijacking-our-future-1.24085282

Latest from the OPP (attached) ....
FROM/DE: East Region Headquarters FROM: February 27, 2020

-UPDATE #1-

PROTEST ACTIVITY IN ONTARIO

10 Individuals Arrested and Charged

(SMITHS FALLS, ON) - On February 24, 2020, shortly after 8:00 a.m., the OPP notified demonstrators near Tyendinaga that an injunction regarding barriers to the rail line would be enforced. Demonstrators were encouraged to leave the site and advised that enforcement could involve arrests for those who fail to comply.

When faced with aggressive actions by some individuals, officers responded with a minimal use of force to facilitate the arrests and maintain officer safety. One individual was taken to hospital with a minor injury, was treated and released.

During the police operation 10 individuals were arrested and charged:

·      Aaron MARACLE, age 36 of Ottawa, Ontario

·      Corey Jay JOCKO, age 33 of Akwesasne, Ontario

·      Tommy GILL, age 34 of Odanak, Quebec

·      Harley Moses DAVID, age 31 of Akwesasne, Ontario

·      Trevor SPENCER, age 45 of Belleville, Ontario

·      Harry Joseph BENEDICT, age 30 of Akwesasne, Ontario

·      Nicholas KOLBASOOK, age 25 of Akwesasne, Ontario

·      Nathan STRONGITHARM, age 34 of No fixed address

·      Jacob SHARPE, age 24 of Tyendinaga Township, Ontario

·      Stewart AMERICANHORSE, age 43 of Ohsweken, Ontario

Each is charged with:

·      Mischief Over $5000 - Criminal Code (CC) Sec. 430(3)

·      Disobey a Court Order - CC Sec. 127,

·      Enter land where line work situated - Railway Safety Act - Sec. 26.1

KOLBASOOK, STRONGITHARM and SHARPE are also charged with Resist Arrest - CC Sec. 129(a). AMERICANHORSE is also charged with Obstruct Police - CC 129(a).

All of the accused have been released on conditions and are scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Napanee on March 24, 2020.

Investigation into protest activities is ongoing and the OPP will continue to engage in dialogue, with a reasoned and tempered approach, and proper use of police discretion.

-30-​

Attachments

• OPP_News_Release_92365.pdf
    79.6 KB · Views: 27
Weinie said:
You have struck a balance between Gandhi and Neville Chamberlain. Hope this works out well for all of us.
I hope you notice that the blockade near Belleville is starting to wind down.

Maybe I was right.

MilEME09 said:
Notice only a couple of the arrested are local
... and at least six are from Aboriginal communities, and no obvious foreigners.

Altair said:

Maybe I was right.

Possibly - but I'd be willing to bet that the weather over the last 2 days has alot to do with it.  Wait until Monday-Tuesday when its above 0c again.

Altair said:

Maybe I was right.

Altair,

I sincerely hope that you are right, for a host of reasons.

Perhaps the blockade is winding down because police arrested 10 people and demonstrated resolve. Perhaps the recent polling that suggested about three quarters of Canadians felt that protesters/blockades had gone too far caused native leadership to reassess. Perhaps it was the weather, as a previous poster has suggested.

Whatever the reason(s) "jaw jaw is better than war war" but you need someone to jaw jaw with.

The official EA started early 2014, but the Company started FN engagement around 2012 as I recall. That's 8 years to resolve things and they did with 20 FN, some of them very litigious. These chiefs didn't get the deal they wanted and had lots of time to resolve things, zero, zero sympathy for them or their cause.

Meanwhile ...
CN Rail has started calling back some of the 450 workers the company laid off in Eastern Canada earlier this month due to blockades set up on the company’s rail lines.

The company confirmed to Global that an email was sent to its customers Friday announcing the news, but would not share additional details ...

Colin P said:
The official EA started early 2014, but the Company started FN engagement around 2012 as I recall. That's 8 years to resolve things and they did with 20 FN, some of them very litigious. These chiefs didn't get the deal they wanted and had lots of time to resolve things, zero, zero sympathy for them or their cause.

I agree.

'I once toured an Indigenous community with a B.C. premier that had never been visited by any premier in our history, which is quite shocking when you think about it. After many hours of hearing a litany of concerns and complaints, the premier told me he was surprised how many issues the community had with the government.

“When you only come around every hundred years, they kind of pile up,” I told him.'

https://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/op-ed/island-voices-ex-bureaucrat-s-attack-on-premier-was-offensive-and-wrong-1.24087167

"Wet'suwet'en chiefs, ministers reach tentative arrangement over land title but debate over pipeline continues"

For the record, from the GoC ...
Wet'suwet'en Hereditary Chief Woos, B.C. Minister of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation Scott Fraser and Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations, Carolyn Bennett, issued the following statement today:

"Over the past three days, we have had frank and substantive discussions, guided by Wiggus (respect), on issues around Wet'suwet'en rights and title.

These talks focused on two separate topics - the recognition of Wet'suwet'en rights and title throughout the Yintah (territory) and the issues arising out of the Coastal GasLink project. The topics were discussed separately.

With respect to rights and title, the parties focused intensely on commitments to an expedited process to implement Wet'suwet'en rights and title. The result of these discussions was a draft arrangement that will be reviewed by the Wet'suwet'en clan members through Wet'suwet'en governance protocols for ratification.

If ratified, Minister Fraser and Minister Bennett have agreed to return to Wet'suwet'en territory to sign. If ratified, the parties agreed to implement title on an expedited basis, to coordinate how we work together.

This arrangement for the Wet'suwet'en will breathe life into the Delgamuukw-Gisday'wa decision so that future generations do not have to face conflicts like the one they face today. As the late chief Wah tah Kwets (Pat Namox) said in the Delgamuukw case, "It is up to us to create a new memory in the minds of our children."

On the Coastal GasLink project, the parties engaged in direct discussions, and explored means to come to a resolution. The province agreed to provide further information on the project. All parties at the table recognize that the differences relating to the CGL project remain."

Debbie Pierre, Executive Director of Office of the Wet'suwet'en also commented on the proposed rights and title arrangement:

"This is a momentous moment. The Dini ze and Ts'ake'ze of our past left this world with no certainty and pain. Today our Dini ze and Ts'ake'ze have carried their words forward in principle. It is time now that all Wet'suwet'en unite to build success for all. I encourage all to look past the fear of success and embrace the change that our forefathers saw for us."

... and the company:
Following the conclusion of discussions between the Wet’suwet’en Hereditary Chiefs and representatives of the federal and provincial governments, Coastal GasLink President David Pfeiffer has issued the following statement:

“Coastal GasLink appreciates the dialogue that has occurred over the past several days and the fact that significant progress has been made to address the concerns of the Wet’suwet’en Hereditary Chiefs.

Coastal GasLink would like to express our thanks to the Hereditary Chiefs, Minister Carolyn Bennett, Minister Scott Fraser and liaison Nathan Cullen for their time and effort in advancing these discussions.

Coastal GasLink appreciates that a path has been identified to address significant issues of Aboriginal Title and Rights of the Wet’suwet’en people while recognizing that Coastal GasLink is fully permitted and remains on track for a 2023 in-service date.

While much has been accomplished, much work remains and we wish all parties success as their work continues and the Wet’suwet’en people consider the proposed arrangement.

Coastal GasLink will resume construction activities in the Morice River area on Monday, March 2 following the four-day pause to allow for constructive dialogue between the parties.

Coastal GasLink remains committed to dialogue and engagement with all Indigenous groups along our route, including the Wet’suwet’en Hereditary Chiefs and Dark House. We are encouraged by Chief Woos statement that he is open to dialogue and look forward to an opportunity to meet with the Hereditary Chiefs.

Coastal GasLink will continue to abide by key terms of the previous access protocol that enhance safety near the Unist’ot’en Healing Centre and will be reaching out in the coming days to offer a meeting in the hopes of resolving outstanding issues with representatives of Dark House and the Office of the Wet’suwet’en.”
:pop:

daftandbarmy said:
'I once toured an Indigenous community with a B.C. premier that had never been visited by any premier in our history, which is quite shocking when you think about it. After many hours of hearing a litany of concerns and complaints, the premier told me he was surprised how many issues the community had with the government.

“When you only come around every hundred years, they kind of pile up,” I told him.'

https://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/op-ed/island-voices-ex-bureaucrat-s-attack-on-premier-was-offensive-and-wrong-1.24087167

I suspect there is a few non-native places no premier has been as well. Since a reserve is Federal land it's not that surprising.

I laughed when I read that bit about places premiers in BC have been.  I've traveled many of the backroads of BC south of Williams Lake and west of the Okanagan, and there are a lot of small places that have probably never been graced by the presence of a premier other than for the 30 seconds it took to drive through.

This from Aboriginal media ...
Stephen Buffalo feels there is a lot of misrepresentation around the resource sector and Indigenous people’s opposition to it.

Buffalo is the CEO and president of the Indian Resource Council, representing roughly 130 First Nation communities that are producing or have the potential to produce oil and gas.

“Without a doubt First Nations, oil and gas producing Nations are always cognizant of the environment and protecting the environment,” says Buffalo adding “so, when you see this activism, its somewhat challenging because we don’t know who’s speaking anymore.”

During this episode of Face to Face, Buffalo discusses opportunities and challenges in the energy sector, recent and ongoing protests and blockades and the Wet’suwet’en conflict.

“When you see 20 elected Chiefs give the authorization and that they want to work, they want to provide that economic opportunity for not only their people and the future of their people, I think that needs to be warranted, you know. I think we have to investigate that thoroughly,” says Buffalo.

“The hard part again is who’s really pulling the string here?”

Buffalo believes there are groups that want to land lock Canada’s natural resources and using environmental concerns to do it.

“And some of our people have been more or less taken, involved in that but spinning to a form that I want to protect mother earth,” says Buffalo.

Buffalo says he has heard of environmental groups coming on reserve and offering $300 per person and “$500 if they’re wearing feathers” to come out and participate in protests.

“We have to make sure we have proper representation because when we do want to fight for our rights, our character is not jeopardized,” says Buffalo.

Buffalo is also supportive of Indigenous groups that are looking at purchasing the Trans Mountain pipeline.

“The pipeline, in my view is safe.  When First Nations own it then they can protect it a lot better,” says Buffalo.

Buffalo says the fact is, in western Canada, oil and gas is all around First Nations and he believes its warranted they participate.

Buffalo says most of the communities are not trying to be “oil rich tycoons” they’re just trying to tackle issues of poverty, the opioid crisis, missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls ...
A bit more @ link

Kingston Police ask residents to stay away from scene of train derailment
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/kingston-police-ask-residents-to-stay-away-from-scene-of-train-derailment-1.4838385

Coincidence?

Gotta be careful with those chemical train cars.

A TC-111 type train car can transport 131,000L of product.  Chlorine in it's liquid state (how it's transported) converts to a gaseous state when it's exposed to air. 1 cup of liquid chlorine coverts to about 300 square feet of gas.

Crack open a train car full of chlorine and that's some 553 000 x 300 square feet of area filled with a substance that turns the moist surface of eyes, throats, and lungs into acid.

1:00 PM - 4 Mar 2020

Kingston Police

Residents in the nearby vicinity who were asked to stay indoors can now return to their regular activities. All members of the public are asked to remain away from the immediate area of the derailment while crews attend the scene for repairs/removal.
https://twitter.com/KingstonPolice/status/1235309093885292545?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

There is no indication whatsoever that this derailment has anything to do with Wet’suwet’en solidarity demonstrations at this time.

That's good news

Jarnhamar said:
That's good news

Good news indeed. Would you mind posting your news source for the quote?

mariomike said:
Good news indeed. Would you mind posting your news source for the quote?

Sure  ;)

mariomike said:
1:00 PM - 4 Mar 2020

Kingston Police

Residents in the nearby vicinity who were asked to stay indoors can now return to their regular activities. All members of the public are asked to remain away from the immediate area of the derailment while crews attend the scene for repairs/removal.
https://twitter.com/KingstonPolice/status/1235309093885292545?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Back