• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's First Nations - CF help, protests, solutions, etc. (merged)

Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs have said they will do everything they can to stop Coastal GasLink from building the pipeline, claiming they hold the title and right to determine what happens in their traditional territory, not the elected band councils responsible for decisions on reserves.

And there, for anyone paying attention, is the kernel of the issue. This isn't about CGL, or even the RCMP. It's about who gets to run the show.

Some of the latest for the record from the PM's info-machine ...
Today (Friday 21 Feb 2020), Prime Minister Justin Trudeau convened the Incident Response Group to discuss work underway to end the blockades and restore rail service across the country, and updates on the Ukraine International Airlines tragedy and the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

(...)

The Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister updated the group on their continued work to end the blockades. The Prime Minister spoke about his call yesterday with the Council of the Federation, during which he and the premiers talked about the very real impacts the blockades are having on people and businesses across the country. They are focused on restoring fully functional rail service to the country and are actively looking at options to resolve the situation, while remaining committed to building trust and respect among all parties involved.

Minister of Transport Marc Garneau updated the group on the economic impacts of the blockades on Canadian farmers, businesses, and families. Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations Carolyn Bennett and Minister of Indigenous Services Marc Miller discussed their ongoing outreach to Indigenous leaders across the country. They noted that the repeated offers to meet with Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs to address immediate and long-term issues have not yet been accepted. Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Bill Blair provided an overview of the current situation, while emphasizing the critical importance of police independence to ensure trust in our institutions. With RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki, he updated the Prime Minister and ministers on current RCMP operations, including their offer to withdraw from Wet’suwet’en territory to encourage an open dialogue.

The Prime Minister and ministers will continue to work directly with premiers and Indigenous leaders to resolve this situation as soon as possible. The Government of Canada’s priority remains to resolve it peacefully, while protecting the rule of law in our country.

(...)

Well! One Down, No Violence:

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2020/02/22/fin-de-siege-a-saint-lambert

Basically, the police (local suburban force) surrounded the area and cut all access to further supporters and more importantly to further supplies. It also made clear to those on the barricade that they could not escape. Then they moved in crowd control group to an ostensible location - to be clearly seen by the protesters - and sent in regular cops to have a "final" little chat with them. Within an hour, they had moved everything out and peacefully dispersed.

The snow was cleared from the tracks starting 20 minutes later. VIA will resume Montreal-Quebec service Monday morning, as will EXO (Montreal's equivalent to GO trains) service. Also, this means all train supply for Eastern points, including the Atlantic provinces, from the Port of Montreal will resume.

I thought we should start the day with some good news.  :nod:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Well! One Down, No Violence:

https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2020/02/22/fin-de-siege-a-saint-lambert

Basically, the police (local suburban force) surrounded the area and cut all access to further supporters and more importantly to further supplies. It also made clear to those on the barricade that they could not escape. Then they moved in crowd control group to an ostensible location - to be clearly seen by the protesters - and sent in regular cops to have a "final" little chat with them. Within an hour, they had moved everything out and peacefully dispersed.

The snow was cleared from the tracks starting 20 minutes later. VIA will resume Montreal-Quebec service Monday morning, as will EXO (Montreal's equivalent to GO trains) service. Also, this means all train supply for Eastern points, including the Atlantic provinces, from the Port of Montreal will resume.

I thought we should start the day with some good news.  :nod:

Good.

I’m concerned we might start seeing smaller, dispersed pop-up blockades that hit and fade in such a manner as to present the rail companies from being able to safely run trains. Alternatively we may see outright minor sabotage.

The vulnerability of our economy to a couple arterial rail links has been demonstrated. That vulnerability remains, spending on how dedicated the other wise is / how stupid a few might be willing to get.

Brihard said:
Good.

I’m concerned we might start seeing smaller, dispersed pop-up blockades that hit and fade in such a manner as to present the rail companies from being able to safely run trains. Alternatively we may see outright minor sabotage.

The vulnerability of our economy to a couple arterial rail links has been demonstrated. That vulnerability remains, spending on how dedicated the other wise is / how stupid a few might be willing to get.

You are spot on, we have had pop up blockades on the northline here outside of what has been shown on the news. Since we employ a LOT of natives and/or people related to natives, we get to hear the rumors. Right now the rumors are Moricetown will be getting another Blockade.. the first one that happened after the Hazelton one came down was a fellow blocking the rail with his snowplow (a suicidal act in my opinion).

They also had some closer to Prince Rupert but the port and related businesses employ around 3,800 natives and those natives shut it down.. quickly.

I do find it extremely interesting how those protesting, have been able to miss so much work, especially in an area were 100k+/yr jobs are being handed out to anyone who can breathe.. so yeah the time to protest and the lack of anything more important or pressing to do, is quite.. interesting. Not to mention were they have been putting up blockades.. in areas that take more work to blockade.. but are closer to certain communities and demographics.

But I think my viewpoints are well understood. So I will let this lay.
Abdullah

AbdullahD said:
You are spot on, we have had pop up blockades on the northline here outside of what has been shown on the news. Since we employ a LOT of natives and/or people related to natives, we get to hear the rumors. Right now the rumors are Moricetown will be getting another Blockade.. the first one that happened after the Hazelton one came down was a fellow blocking the rail with his snowplow (a suicidal act in my opinion).

They also had some closer to Prince Rupert but the port and related businesses employ around 3,800 natives and those natives shut it down.. quickly.

I do find it extremely interesting how those protesting, have been able to miss so much work, especially in an area were 100k+/yr jobs are being handed out to anyone who can breathe.. so yeah the time to protest and the lack of anything more important or pressing to do, is quite.. interesting. Not to mention were they have been putting up blockades.. in areas that take more work to blockade.. but are closer to certain communities and demographics.

But I think my viewpoints are well understood. So I will let this lay.
Abdullah

Abdullah,

Thanks for the Northwestern BC update, from somebody who knows the area and its people.

Planned meeting between feds, Wet’suwet’en now delayed due to Trudeau’s comments: chief
https://globalnews.ca/news/6581735/wetsuweten-meeting-delayed-chief/amp/

::)

Jarnhamar said:
Planned meeting between feds, Wet’suwet’en now delayed due to Trudeau’s comments: chief
https://globalnews.ca/news/6581735/wetsuweten-meeting-delayed-chief/amp/

::)

Did these guys go to a school in North Korea to learn negotiating?

They have a federal government that is terrified of bad press on this file. Nearly no reasonable will be refused. And they won't talk. Because, reasons....

SeaKingTacco said:
Did these guys go to a school in North Korea to learn negotiating?

They have a federal government that is terrified of bad press on this file. Nearly no reasonable will be refused. And they won't talk. Because, reasons....

If they ended up talking and were offered some kind of fair deal or compromise then they would be the bad guys if they refused. This way they don't have to worry about being put in that situation, tI'm sure they'll continue to keep finding reasons to stall. I don't think their goal here is to find a solution.

OPP are breaking up the blockade near Belleville as I type this. Already at least one arrest. There’s a protest scheduled for Parliament Hill this morning, and probably we’ll see more activity as the prairies and B.C. wake up... I hope this stays as peaceful as circumstances allow.

Brihard said:
OPP are breaking up the blockade near Belleville as I type this. Already at least one arrest. There’s a protest scheduled for Parliament Hill this morning, and probably we’ll see more activity as the prairies and B.C. wake up... I hope this stays as peaceful as circumstances allow.

I have to say that I hope everyone comes through this with no serious injuries or deaths. Also, I hope the police are painted in a positive light. It seems they are tarred with the "bad guy" brush no matter what they do.

Whoever or whatever organisation is behind these protests is winning.  Teck's has announced that they will not be pursuing their northern Alberta development.  The reason given being that even if the cabinet were to approve it, the political climate would make sure that the shovels in the ground stage would cost more money than the project could hope to make.  More jobs gone.

YZT580 said:
... Teck's has announced that they will not be pursuing their northern Alberta development.  The reason given being that even if the cabinet were to approve it, the political climate would make sure that the shovels in the ground stage would cost more money than the project could hope to make ...
This from the horse's mouth (full Teck letter to Canada's environment minister attached) ...
...  global capital markets are changing rapidly and investors and customers are increasingly looking for jurisdictions to have a framework in place that reconciles resource development and climate change, in order to produce the cleanest possible products. This does not yet exist here today and, unfortunately, the growing debate around this issue has placed Frontier and our company squarely at the nexus of much broader issues that need to be resolved. In that context, it is now evident that there is no constructive path forward for the project. Questions about the societal implications of energy development, climate change and Indigenous rights are critically important ones for Canada, its provinces and Indigenous governments to work through ...

Attachments

• Don-Lindsay-letter-to-Minister-Wilkinson.pdf
    83.2 KB · Views: 42
YZT580 said:
Whoever or whatever organisation is behind these protests is winning.  Teck's has announced that they will not be pursuing their northern Alberta development.  The reason given being that even if the cabinet were to approve it, the political climate would make sure that the shovels in the ground stage would cost more money than the project could hope to make.  More jobs gone.

You can thank JT and his gang of amateurs for this. Its unfortunate that the locals will not be getting decent paying jobs.

Its an utter disgrace - the current GoC is the very worst I have ever seen, and that includes PET's Liberal governments.

Brihard said:
This from the OPP info-machine (statement attached) ...
FROM/DE: East Region Headquarters DATE: February 24, 2020

ENFORCEMENT TO RESOLVE PROTEST ACTIVITY IN ONTARIO

(SMITHS FALLS, ON) - The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has taken action to resolve protest activity and remove the barriers to rail service in and near Tyendinaga Township.

Since Thursday, February 6, OPP members have been meeting regularly and communicating with various representatives of the people protesting in solidarity with the Wet'suwet'en peoples of British Columbia.

Following its court-endorsed Framework for Police Preparedness for Indigenous Critical Incidents, the OPP Provincial Liaison Team has engaged in significant collaborative and respectful dialogue aimed at bringing about a peaceful resolution while ensuring everyone's safety and preserving their respective rights guaranteed by Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms. To date, there had been no arrests made and no one has been injured.

We have remained respectful of the ongoing dialogue, including issues of sovereignty between our Indigenous communities and various federal ministers, and have hoped for productive communication leading to a peaceful resolution. The OPP notes the broader societal impacts of this extended protest have correspondingly increased risks to public safety closer to the protest sites. Unfortunately, all avenues to successfully negotiate a peaceful resolution have been exhausted and a valid court injunction remains in effect.

The OPP has a legal responsibility to enforce the injunction and began doing so this morning. The OPP has called upon all those involved to abide by the injunction and leave the area and to not put public peace or anyone's safety in jeopardy. All people are being encouraged to leave the demonstration site peacefully. Enforcement of the injunction may include arrest of those who choose not to comply, however, use of force remains a last resort.

The OPP will continue to follow and engage in communication while enforcing the injunction. Open communication, a reasoned and tempered approach, and proper use of police discretion guides the OPP's response to this and other major events.

-30-​
... and this from MSM

Attachments

• OPP_News_Release_92245.pdf
    79.4 KB · Views: 16
YZT580 said:

Actually not surprised about this happening. They were saying two-three weeks ago that the project might not go through even if approved. Also, to make a profit oil crude prices must be around $65 USD per barrel and stay there. Right now its around $58 USD, so no profit.

Back