• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's First CC177 gets painted

mz589 said:
Okay time for a couple of serious questions.

Why do you guys keep pointing to articles on army.ca? Should I only go to the message boards found there?

Is it protocol that every message board be searched for any possible relation to a post which is about
to be made prior to making it?

Cause army.ca=navy.ca=air-force.ca=milnet.ca

Any other questions?

mz589 said:

Why do you guys keep pointing to articles on army.ca? Should I only go to the message boards found there?

Is it protocol that every message board be searched for any possible relation to a post which is about

If you check out the threads posted, you will probably find the same information has been laid out in detail in another thread, it's background that is readily available and often helps in clearing up a lot of questions..

It is protocol to search a subject in the SITE (by searching in the main page army.ca)
before starting a new thread OR posting an article. Otherwise mods ans members will kick in
when it has already been post. If you look at the title of each post, you will see different title, wich mean that different threads has
merged by mods, something that is bad juju :).

mz589 said:

I can't tell what site you're viewing (army.ca, milnet.ca, etc). I'm viewing army.ca so any post I link to will be army.ca based. The info is all the same however, only the colour scheme is different.

And yes, it is protocol that you search prior to creating a new thread. It saves us from having to patrol the boards just to merge threads that users duplicate. With over 10,000 registered users, that gets to be next to impossible which is why you'll have other users telling you to search prior to making a new thread.

If you had looked in the fixed wing section, you would have found a thread with the same pictures and titled almost the same that was about 3 weeks old. Which is what I merged your thread with.

Inch
Army.ca Staff

Inch said:
I can't tell what site you're viewing (army.ca, milnet.ca, etc). I'm viewing army.ca so any post I link to will be army.ca based. The info is all the same however, only the colour scheme is different.

And yes, it is protocol that you search prior to creating a new thread. It saves us from having to patrol the boards just to merge threads that users duplicate. With over 10,000 registered users, that gets to be next to impossible which is why you'll have other users telling you to search prior to making a new thread.

If you had looked in the fixed wing section, you would have found a thread with the same pictures and titled almost the same that was about 3 weeks old. Which is what I merged your thread with.

Inch
Army.ca Staff

The photo that I posted is not in the thread that you referenced, I haven't seen a duplicate posted here. I received it yesterday and thought people here might be interested. As for the sqn info, I did a search and got 18 pages returned, after spending about 20 minutes sorting through it, I posted a follow up question. With the limited search functions available I think that is more than reasonable. Is it?

mz589 said:
The photo that I posted is not in the thread that you referenced, I haven't seen a duplicate posted here. I received it yesterday and thought people here might be interested. As for the sqn info, I did a search and got 18 pages returned, after spending about 20 minutes sorting through it, I posted a follow up question. With the limited search functions available I think that is more than reasonable. Is it?

Whether or not you posted the exact picture is irrelevant, the point is that there was already a thread titled "Canada's First CC177 gets painted". If you have a picture of a CC177 painted in Canadian markings, it would make sense to just add it to an existing thread, no? If you didn't know that CC177 is the Canadian identifier for the C-17,  Google is your friend.

As for Sqn info, I did a search for "C17 Squadron" and the 4th hit was titled "429 Sqn to become new C-17 Squadron".

No, the more times the question is asked and answered, the more useless the search function becomes. If you had started a new thread to ask that question, it would have added yet another hit to the search and discouraged people such as yourself from doing a little bit of independent research.

Ya know I was just thinking, anyone want to put a bet on how many times the MSM puts their foot in their mouth commenting on this aircraft.
Oh and let's not forget the hot air that will be vented by the politicans.

It's a truck people  ;) No reason to panic ;D

mz589 said:
Any word on what squadron will operate it from Trenton?

And all that being said, today 18 July 2007, LCol DW Lowthian assumed command of 429 (T) Sqn at 8 Wing Trenton.
429 (T) Sqn had been "retired" for a little over 2 years, so it was a tremendous day today to see the colours brought back out.  The weather was good and there was a huge turnout of vets today as well.  In fact, there were so many people there weren't enough chairs for all the spectators. 

It was one of those "good days" today.

Usual disclaimers.

DND News Release

News Release
Canada's New Government Re-Establishes Squadron to Support C-17 Aircraft
NR–07.071 - July 18, 2007

TRENTON, Ont. – The Honourable Gordon O’Connor, Minister of National Defence, today announced the re-establishment of 429 Transport Squadron, designated the C-17 squadron, based at 8 Wing / CFB Trenton. Under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Dave Lowthian, the squadron will be responsible for the conduct of C-17 operations, as well as the day-to-day maintenance of Canada’s new strategic airlift fleet of Globemaster IIIs.

“It is with immense pride and enthusiasm that I officially re-establish 429 Squadron,” said Minister O’Connor at today’s ceremony. “It is a historic time for the operators and maintainers of Canada’s new fleet of C-17 aircraft, as they embark on providing Canadians with a truly independent strategic airlift capability at home and abroad.”

The stand-up is a resurgence for a squadron with an impressive history and a bright future.

“The re-establishment of 429 Squadron opens a new chapter in the famed Bisons’ history,” said Lieutenant-General Steve Lucas, Chief of the Air Staff. “Squadron members will have a very real and immediate impact on how the Canadian Forces can support operations – creating endless opportunities for modern-day success stories of their own.”

Originally formed as a Second World War bomber squadron on November 7, 1942 in Yorkshire, U.K., the squadron was disbanded in 1946 following the airlift of allied POWs back to England. In June 1967, the unit re-established as a CC-115 Buffalo squadron, beginning its association with the transport community. Known as the ‘Bisons,’ 429 (T) Squadron became part of 424 Squadron in September 1971; however it was re-established independently in April 1972, with the squadron’s responsibilities shifting from transport to training. Reorganization returned 429 Squadron to a transport role in 1981; however, it was then consolidated with 426 Squadron in July 2005 as part of the Air Forces’ transformation model at the time. Today’s stand-up as the C-17 squadron marks another momentous day for the unit.

An initial squadron capability will be in place for the arrival of the first C-17 aircraft in early August. As Canada’s remaining three C-17s are delivered between October and April 2008, the squadron’s operating capabilities will correspondingly increase. The squadron will consist of approximately 200 members, including such positions as pilots, loadmasters and technicians.

The acquisition of strategic lift aircraft is a landmark event, as it will provide the Canadian Forces with an independent means to rapidly and reliably and flexibly move heavy equipment over vast distances in response to domestic or international crises - delivering more troops and equipment faster to alleviate suffering. It also reduces the number of crews and stopovers required, and will alleviate the workload for the aging tactical Hercules fleet.

-30-

Additional information on Strategic Airlift can be found at:
Minister’s Statement on Strategic Airlift:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2194
Strategic Airlift News Releases and Backgrounder:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Focus/first/index_e.asp

For more information, please contact:

Isabelle Bouchard Media Liaison Office
Office of Minister O’Connor Department of National Defence
(613) 996-3100 (613) 996-2353 or 2354

New (again) squadron, new aircraft and massive jump in our ability to transport equipment, gives me a new warm fuzzy feeling.  :)

Ref DND news release.

"The acquisition of strategic lift aircraft is a landmark event, as it will provide the Canadian Forces with an independent means to rapidly and reliably and flexibly move heavy equipment over vast distances in response to domestic or international crises - delivering more troops and equipment faster to alleviate suffering."

Get it, it's peacekeeping.  >:D
Ya ya that's the ticket. ;)

Back