• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada to lease Russian-made helicopters: MacKay

I will give this government credit for thinking outside the box to deal with issues, they fumble the ball on occasion, but as few of them had any real time in government they do a decent job. I had to laugh at the Liberal defence critic bemoaning the "2 wasted years" How about they bemoan the "wasted decade" or the fact that they sent troops to the south with little thought for the long term?

Colin P said:
I will give this government credit for thinking outside the box to deal with issues, they fumble the ball on occasion, but as few of them had any real time in government they do a decent job. I had to laugh at the Liberal defence critic bemoaning the "2 wasted years" How about they bemoan the "wasted decade" or the fact that they sent troops to the south with little thought for the long term?

Meh, it's just another sound bite from clueless Black...same as Staples stab with "not a silver bullet" and the stunning fact that "helicopters can be shot down".

I'll be glad when I see my guys get on them.

Regards

Just who is that bald fool who stated the obvious "helicopters can be shot down"?

You don't have to be head cashier at Wal Mart to figure that out.

The Mi 8s will not carry troops unless it is an emergency. Cargo only.
That's why we got the Chinooks as well.
Steven Staples is gay....

OldSolduer said:

Oh yes you do.....that is an important position with a future.....you could go on television and go on to  be a Military Expert !!

OldSolduer said:
Just who is that bald fool who stated the obvious "helicopters can be shot down"?

Quite the apt description of Mr Staples. He always reminds me of the geeky kid at school who always got picked on, or was  the class monitor whenever the teacher left the room. ;D (Plus I think he's afraid of women! :eek:)

I get a bit cheesed at the "experts" that CBC and CTV make enquiries of.

To ask retired Generals and Colonels are one thing. They've been there, done that, got the Tshirt.

This bald fools credentials are??? Has he ever served in the military?

Steven Staples is a member of the Rideau Institute.  Though critical of the government, it is"...an independent research, advocacy and consulting group based in Ottawa. It provides research, analysis and commentary on public policy issues to decision makers, opinion leaders and the public. It is a federally registered non-profit organization, established in January 2007." (from its website)  The site also mentions that it is associated with Ceasefire.  Though I don't agree with his opinions, he did state the obvious on his interview, that is, they can be shot down.  I'm certain that Mr. Staples wishes no harm to our soldiers there, and though he may have differing opinions on things, his opposition to the war is just indicative of how great out country is, free speech and all.

Just to add to the discussion:

24 August 2008    http://www.nato.int/isaf/docu/pressreleases/2008/08-august/pr080824-427.html   

One dead, three wounded during emergency landing

KABUL, Afghanistan — An Mi-8 supply helicopter, contracted by International Security Assistance Forces, was forced to make an emergency landing shortly after takeoff from an ISAF base in Kunar province August 24.
One person on board the aircraft died and three were wounded during the incident.

Contact Information ISAF Public Affairs Office
Tel: +93 (0)79 51 1155 - Mobile: 0093 (0) 799 55 8291 pressoffice@hq.isaf.nato.int - www.nato.int/isaf/

???

PASAB, Afghanistan -- Until they get their own helicopters next year, Canadian troops in Afghanistan will have access to six civilian choppers to lessen the risk of coming under insurgent attack while moving along the country's notoriously dangerous roads.

The Mi-8 helicopters are being contracted from Toronto-based Sky Link as a stopgap measure. The first flight of the aircraft took place at Kandahar Airfield yesterday.

"As a task force, it allows us to transport with the Mi-8's cargo and with the Chinook's personnel, with a view to try and get Canadians off the roads here in Afghanistan where they are exposed to all the dangers of this country -- ambushes and IEDs and the other things that all Canadians are aware of," said Col. Christopher Coates, air wing commander of Joint Task Force Afghanistan.

The decision to contract the Mi-8s, which will be flown by civilian pilots, is the result of a recommendation from the Manley report last spring that Canada should have some air capabilities for its operations in Afghanistan.

The Mi-8 is a medium twin-turbine transport helicopter that is one of the world's most-produced choppers.

It is used by more than 50 countries.

Although there are models of the Mi-8s that can be armed, that won't be the case in this instance.

"It is a very versatile aircraft with extremely good capability for high, hot and heavy operations, which is what we are looking at doing here," said Bob Waring, project manager for Sky Link.

Waring said he's not worried about sending civilian pilots into military operations.

"Well, the risks are consistent across the board, whether you are wearing a uniform or not," he said.

At least four:

from CBC.ca
Questions are being raised about the Conservative government's procurement of Russian helicopters that Canadian pilots have been secretly using to fly troops into combat in Afghanistan.

Until this week, the government had been silent about the MI-17 "Hip" helicopters that were leased last year. The government still refuses to provide any details of their procurement, including how much the lease cost.

"It was competed, it was open, but for reasons of security I really can't go into any other details," Defence Minister Peter MacKay said Wednesday.

Military sources told CBC News that the idea of leasing Russian choppers was approved by cabinet early last year. It took some time to train Canadian crews, but the helicopters went into service quickly, used by Canadian special forces troops on secret missions

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/11/24/helicopter-russian.html#ixzz16JUnV8JZ

also, a fun picture here of one bird in Canadian livery:    http://www.mikewardsgallery.fotopic.net/p65341423.html

nice pic... now what would be cool is if Canada had some Hind gun ships.

"Procurement" has connotations of purchasing, while "Leasing" relates to "Renting".  I am sure that many of CBC’s regular crowd of wackos aren’t going to pick up on the “renting” part as they post their comments (now over 176).  The fact that they are used for “secret” or “highly classified” missions should be of no concern to members of the NDP, as they (NDP) fail one of the tests – “Need to know”.  The NDP has no need to know about the finer aspects of operations conducted by SOF in dealing with the enemy.

I wonder if the Public is likely to get up in arms over the “procurement” of rental cars by DND from companies such as Budget or Enterprise.  I think not.

George Wallace said:
I wonder if the Public is likely to get up in arms over the “procurement” of rental cars by DND from companies such as Budget or Enterprise.  I think not.

They would if they knew the CF spends more on stupid Budget/Enterprise rented cars than we do on helictopers..and probably tanks too.

Actually the NDP should be jumping up and down with joy and push the government to keep an international squadron equipped with these helos' to support UN missions.

Back