• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada rejoins NATO Airborne Warning and Control System program

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
Anyone want a posting to Geilenkirchen, Germany?    :nod:

February 14, 2018, Brussels, Belgium — National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces

The Government is committed to both the security and safety of Canadians and the protection of their rights and freedoms. Canada is playing a strong and constructive role in the world by making concrete contributions to international peace and security – including at the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).

NATO is a cornerstone of Canada’s international security policy and today the Government announced its intention to rejoin to the Alliance’s Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) program.

Programs such as AWACS, and the joint intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance it provides, are increasingly relevant in today’s security environment.  In response to the challenges posed by that environment, NATO has significantly increased the use of its AWACS operations, including in areas like Central and Eastern Europe where Canada is leading a multinational NATO battlegroup based in Latvia.

Canada decided to withdraw from the AWACS program in 2011 following the Department of National Defence’s 2010 Strategic Review.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/news/2018/02/canada_rejoins_natoairbornewarningandcontrolsystemprogram.html

Nope, it comes with a 3 year restricted release when you return.

kev994 said:
Nope, it comes with a 3 year restricted release when you return.

Ah, only if you're a Pilot or AEC  :nod:

(There are still Navs on those planes, right?)

Ditch, do you have any experience with AWAC's? :nod:

Once upon a time there were 2 x Sgt's position (non-flying ones) for my trade there...fingers crossed.

I heard it was cash only to the mission for now. In the months to come, we may recognize this initial movement as the beginning of a clumsy and crass bid for a key position in NATO...time will tell.

:2c:

Regards
G2G

So spending cash on a project to support the % GDP commitment (if there was such a commitment).

Eye In The Sky said:
There you guys go, throwing rocks at our house of dreams (OUTCAN!!).  :(

;D

Haven’t you been OUTCAN for a bit, EITS? ;D

Eye In The Sky said:
There you guys go, throwing rocks at our house of dreams (OUTCAN!!).  :(

;D

Come on EITS!

We have dry AES Ops in Poland, Sig and a new OUTCAN posting to Creech AFB..

Try being a wettie, our options are crap!

I’m glad Canada is getting back in the AWACS game.

What’s the OUTCAN to Creech all about?  Vegas living!

Ditch said:
What’s the OUTCAN to Creech all about?  Vegas living!
e

We are sending a couple people (1 x pilot, 1 x AESOp, I think) to gain some more RPA experience.

Good2Golf said:
Haven’t you been OUTCAN for a bit, EITS? ;D

I've spent some time away from my postal code the past several years for sure, but not a good stable go like Gk would be...I had...limited off-duty 'travel options' on most of my time away of late.  8)

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Come on EITS!

We have dry AES Ops in Poland, Sig and a new OUTCAN posting to Creech AFB..

Try being a wettie, our options are crap!

I’m glad Canada is getting back in the AWACS game.

1 x WO Poland
2 x Sig spots (not interested in that one at all)

What is this new Creech one?  I didn't hear about this...I'm going to take a bet its a WO position and someone coming out of Sig will go to it?

I'll pass on the ASO option, and have dodged it a few times...I think I am reasonably safe to stay doing what I'm doing, thankfully and am not moving this APS.  That also means I am likely not going to put my name in the hat for Creech... :not-again:

Eye In The Sky said:
1 x WO Poland
2 x Sig spots (not interested in that one at all)

What is this new Creech one?  I didn't hear about this...I'm going to take a bet its a WO position and someone coming out of Sig will go to it?

I'll pass on the ASO option, and have dodged it a few times...I think I am reasonably safe to stay doing what I'm doing, thankfully and am not moving this APS.  That also means I am likely not going to put my name in the hat for Creech... :not-again:

The guy going to Creech is currently a Sgt. Don't know if a promotion is in the works, or not.

The Creech one is a Sgt position. We sent up a name from the school. I hope he gets it. I also heard we might get one more position over there.

Jesus...I just heard about this one today on here and the name has already been pretty much decided???  When did this pos'n get announced (quietly, I am assuming as I didn't hear about it).  I was away in Nov/Dec *but* news like that usually travels fast.  I didn't hear a whisper about it.

:eek:rly:

Eagle Eye View said:
The Creech one is a Sgt position. We sent up a name from the school. I hope he gets it. I also heard we might get one more position over there.

You are probably the only unit to send a name up.

Funny how the school seems to be sending folks first to Sig and now Creech.  🤔

Dolphin_Hunter said:
You are probably the only unit to send a name up.

Funny how the school seems to be sending folks first to Sig and now Creech.  🤔

The Sgt's I know at my Sqn didn't even frackin' know about it until last Friday...I heard about it on here.  ::)

Back