• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada puts rush order on Hercules aircraft

formerarmybrat23

Inactive
Reaction score
Canadian Press
Published Monday June 11th, 2007
Appeared on page A1
http://www.canadaeast.com/ce2/docroot/article.php?articleID=9657

National Defence wants to jump the queue once again to get faster delivery of new Hercules tactical-lift aircraft and has formally asked the Pentagon if it can butt into line ahead of the U.S. military.

Canada is hoping to start receiving the new model of the venerable C-130 by 2009, a full year ahead of the previously established schedule, according to a senior Defence official.

The Pentagon is "favourable to the idea," said Dan Ross, the U.S. department's assistant deputy minister of material.

An official decision by the Americans has yet to be made because Prime Minister Stephen Harper's Conservative government is still negotiating a final contract with U.S. defence giant Lockheed Martin for the $4.9 billion purchase 17 C-130J Hercules. "We're hoping we'll be able to get the opportunity to start training new crews and technicians on the 130J before 2010," Ross said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

He said the Americans see it as being in their interest to help Canada get the aircraft as quickly as possible.

"I mean, we work together around the world and (we're) obviously co-operating very, very closely in Afghanistan," said Ross. "So they need Canada to be as militarily self-sufficient as possible."

One of the biggest problems facing NATO countries in Afghanistan is a shortage of air transport, including tactical-lift and helicopters.

Ottawa's intention to buy new tactical-lift aircraft was first announced last summer, but opposition and industry critics stepped up their attacks in November when the Conservatives acknowledged they were negotiating exclusively with Lockheed Martin.

On Friday, the U.S. aerospace firm's main competitor -- Airbus Military -- tried to do an end-run around the Defence Department. It dropped an unsolicited proposal on the desks of members of the House of Commons defence committee and called for the C-130J purchase to be scrapped.

At present, the Canadian air force employs a small group of Hercules transports in Afghanistan. Flying out a base in the Middle East, the aircraft are used for supply drops to NATO troops at far-flung desert bases.

But the bulk of Canada's fleet of 32 C-130E and C-130H cargo planes, purchased between 1960 and 1997, is reaching the end of its life.

Last fall, National Defence made a similar queue-jumping request for early delivery of four C-17 Globemaster heavy-lift cargo aircraft and 16 CH-47 Chinook helicopters from U.S.-based Boeing Aircraft Corp.

MGen (Ret'd) Dan Ross is the Canadian ADM(Mat)...

Sheesh

PPCLI Guy said:
MGen (Ret'd) Dan Ross is the Canadian ADM(Mat)...

Sheesh

Yep, that's a pretty big error in this story. I wonder if he took out dual citizenship (or knows he's working for the Americans yet)???

Maybe that's why they are allowing us to push the orders ahead early.....  ;D  (We have an insider!!)

GAP said:
Maybe that's why they are allowing us to push the orders ahead early.....  ;D  (We have an insider!!)

A triple-dipper??  :D

Sorry to spoil the fun, but somebody must have inserted the "U.S." in the story--the version I found reads:
http://www.recorder.ca/cp/National/070610/n061034A.html

Canada is hoping to start receiving the new model of the venerable C-130 by 2009, a full year ahead of the previously established schedule, according to a senior Defence official.

The Pentagon is "favourable to the idea," said Dan Ross, the department's assistant deputy minister of material.
  :eek:

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa said:
Sorry to spoil the fun, but somebody must have inserted the "U.S." in the story--the version I found reads:
http://www.recorder.ca/cp/National/070610/n061034A.html
  :eek:

Mark
Ottawa

It's OK. I imagine with the 16 "guests" who were viewing this thread earlier...some coming out of MSM IPs...the correction was made rather quickly.  ;)

I always wonder about the undercurrent of this and related stories. Military equipment is pretty much hand crafted compared to more mundane things like cars or washing machines, so it isn't like we can (or should) go to "Honest Vladimir's Pre Owned Milspec Emporium" and gather up what we want at knock down prices unless there is absolutly no alternative.

Since the MSM fails to point out the A-400 does not even exist at this time, readers get the impressinon we are passing up a great deal. I would be concerned if DND didn't take a look at the A-400 in 2010 or 2015 when it will finally be available and we need to replace the rest of the C-130 fleet, but don't expect that kind of analysis from the MSM.......

a_majoor: A post at The Torch:

Let's hope this doesn't fly
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2007/06/lets-hope-this-doesnt-fly.html

Meanwhile a certain reporter continues hard at it:

Opposition calls for end to hefty defence deals
Sole-source contracts draw fire from critics

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=48fd3157-ea89-4d8a-8311-60c453e5d675

Last year, the Conservative government announced $17 billion in new military-equipment projects, including the acquisition of transport aircraft, trucks, helicopters and ships. Only one of those deals has been signed and there have been ongoing claims by opposition MPs and some in the defence industry that the process to select the transport aircraft and helicopters was not fair [emphasis added].

NDP defence critic Dawn Black and Liberal defence critic Denis Coderre say the procurements should be put on hold until the government receives a report from the auditor general. The report is expected by the end of the year, around the same time that the Commons Defence committee will issue its own report on military procurement.

"It would probably be wise of the government to hold back on some of these major procurements until these reviews are completed," said Ms. Black. "They talk the talk about government accountability, so let's see them walk the walk."

Mr. Coderre questioned the military and government's claims that some of the big-ticket equipment purchases are urgently needed for the mission in Afghanistan. He cited the example of the multibillion-dollar program to buy the Chinook helicopter, which won't be delivered until 2011 or 2012. Canada's Afghanistan mission ends in February 2009, Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor has repeatedly said in the Commons.

"What strikes us is that we seem to be spending a lot of money on the back of the Afghanistan mission," said Mr. Coderre.

Mr. Coderre said equipment actually needed for use in Afghanistan would not be affected by a moratorium.

Mr. Coderre also said he was concerned some of the purchases, such as the deal to spend more than $1 billion on tanks, is coming at the expense of gear needed for domestic missions. He pointed out that the Canadian Forces program to buy new search-and-rescue planes is on hold because of a lack of money. The tanks, which won't arrive for years, are not needed, Mr. Coderre argues [emphasis added].

"The purpose of (the Forces) is not just international," he said. "We need equipment for the Arctic, for our domestic needs. Right now, we don't have that."..

Mark
Ottawa

A further post at The Torch:

Defence sole-sourcing
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2007/06/defence-sole-sourcing.html

Mark
Ottawa

does the 130J have the flip over rail system? We should get the airbus just for that fact...i hated putting in and removing the dang rails on the hercs.

ya that one...the advertising for it says it will have flip to stow rollers....we should get some. Heck, i've gotten married based on a couple nice pictures and a few performance promises...

I'm not sure if your being sarcastic but the CF needs the planes now, not after years of putting one in the ski, testing it etc.

RR, I didn't play that close attention to the J-30 I flew around the ATO on, but it had what appeared to be an integrated roller system on it.

G2G

130J's have a flip-over roller system.  I have pictures somewhere from the USAF Jercules that was at Abbotsford Air Show last summer. 

And as to the the yet to be built A400M . . .  they announced another delay last week because of re-work needed in the engine design.  It is a program in trouble.  Scope > Resources + Time + Budget = the old six pounds of dog doo-doo and a three pound bag problem.

They should have awarded the engine contract to the best bidder, not cave to European political pressure  and placed the work in home countries.  P&WC got screwed on that one.

I am just happy that Canada finally has a government that sees giving its troops much needed equipment as an urgent priority rather than something to drag its feet on.  Now if we can expedite some attack helicopters i'd be even happier.

I first flew in a J in 2001. Longer, and faster, and with other updates. Sure looks wierd with 6 props on each engine too.

We had a J take us in and out of Iraq for the four times I flew.

At Ali Al Salem, Baghdad and Talil, I had observed Japanese SDF Hercs, US and others, and these were all the older types. I only saw a few USAF J's overall.

I think the J for Canada is a good choice, and long overdue

My 2 cents.

Wes

Yeah....new kit...gotta love it....I think we need more than the 17 we're getting though. Hopefully we'll get more as we go along. Wouldn't it be nice if we kept replacing kit over the years rather than waitin for 30+ years and the stuff is nearly beat into the ground?

Back