• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada and Aegis

I would think that would depend on which ship we pick in just under a year's time.

Most of our allies have Aegis capable warships,Canada should join the club.These ships could provide a measure of protection for both coasts and for deployed forces in high threat areas.

tomahawk6 said:
Most of our allies have Aegis capable warships,Canada should join the club.These ships could provide a measure of protection for both coasts and for deployed forces in high threat areas.

Yes.  You're also talking about a country who, whether we admit it or not, would rather not spend $ on Defence as we'll "always have the Americans to cover us".

tomahawk6 said:
I think Korea, Australia, Japan and Spain are the only non-US users, no? Aegis is just Lockheed's brand of C2 system: when most people refer to "Aegis" they're really talking about a system that integrates active phased array radar sensors and a VLS-based guided missile system (and when the army talks about Aegis, they're usually just talking about Tomahawks). There are more ways than Aegis to skin that cat, and as a software platform Aegis is about 30 years old.

Pretty sure T6 was meaning in the Shakespearian sense of a 'rose,' i.e. fully* compatible with the USN's primary C2/FCS.

:2c:

G2G

* up to being part of the NCTR process and seamless tgt handoff, if need be.

Sounds expensive.  Daddy's wallet is a little light for bright and shiny things.  Besides, it would take forever...  I've become jaded since reality has slapped me silly in the 18 months I've been here at the puzzle palace and discovered it takes forever to accomplish anything of note.  If one can.

AFAIK only the F-100 from Navinata uses a Spy-1 system though I'm not sure if Aegis is part of it (as Aegis is the entire defensive system not just the radar).  Personally I think Aegis is a little bit overrated (not saying it isn't good, just not as good as it publicist would suggest).  It would also be in Canada and the US's benefit to have different defence and sensor systems.  This means they will each have different advantages and disadvantages so can cover each other off in combined operations. 

What you're primarily looking at is a version of the APAR/SMART-L system from the Dutch, Germans and Danish.  A Sea Fire 500 or variant from the French and a Selex ES from the  Italians.  The British Type 26 is currently looking like it will mount a type 996 3D radar.  I'm sure I missed something but really going by just odds its a 1 in 8 chance of Aegis.

I've been saying this for ages. The Aegis system refers to multiple things. The combat management system, the detect to engage software, the radars, the weapon systems...

From the article posted by @calculus
The Government of Canada has requested to buy four (4) Shipsets of the AEGIS Combat System (ACS); one (1) AEGIS Combat System Computer Program; four (4) Shipsets of AN/SPY-7 Solid State Radar Components; four (4) Shipsets of Cooperative Engagement Capability (CEC); and three (3) Shipsets of the MK 41 Vertical Launch System. Also included is Mode 5/S capable Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) equipment; early ACS development activities for the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Project to include U.S. Government and contractor representative engineering activities supporting design, integration, testing, technical documentation, modeling, and training; hardware to support development and testing in U.S. facilities; software; documentation (including combat system capabilities and limitations); training devices and services; technical support; and other related elements of logistical and program support. The estimated total cost is $1.7 billion.

As far as I understand the International Aegis Fire Control Loop (IAFCL) will be integrated into CMS330 along with the CEC. Spy 7 is also considered an Aegis radar. How and where CMS330 ends and Aegis begins I have no idea (and I'm sure LMC doesn't either quite yet).

Last edited:
While I realize this gear has neither been delivered nor installed into a ship yet, I can honestly say that I never thought that I would see the day when Canada got into the AEGIS/SPY radar game. This is big league stuff.
I agree. I know some of the folks who worked on the requirements (RCAF and RCN). They worked hard on the identification of future threats/missions/roles, tapped the warfare centre to model/provide the best responses to those threats, and then wrote the requirements to meet and defeat the threats. The primary goal all along was that sailors had to come home to their families. And as the "controversial" bidding process went on it became apparent that they were not budging on some of those requirements despite the politicking.

I don't think (pure supposition, I have no inside info) that the other bids met the requirements for AAW of the future. Given what we now know regarding SPY 7, Aegis, CEC etc... I can see how an APAR or CEAFAR/CEAMOUNT based system might not have matched that performance.*

*cue enraged Aussies

While I realize this gear has neither been delivered nor installed into a ship yet, I can honestly say that I never thought that I would see the day when Canada got into the AEGIS/SPY radar game. This is big league stuff.
Infantry here lol - what makes this system so good? I have heard of it before but I'd like to know some of what makes it so good.

High-power, high-efficiency and frequency stability from the electronic design, both circuitry and materials, paired with an established combat system good enough for the premier blue water navy as well as terrestrial stations for ballistic missile defence. It’s A-game stuff. 👍🏼

High-power, high-efficiency and frequency stability from the electronic design, both circuitry and materials, paired with an established combat system good enough for the premier blue water navy as well as terrestrial stations for ballistic missile defence. It’s A-game stuff. 👍🏼
No moving parts; resistant to combat damage because it can still work with parts of the antennae busted; can detect and track targets from sea level to low earth orbit. It is a monster of a system.

All of the above and the discrimination of extremely fast-moving, small targets in order to provide a fire control solution. The SPY 7 is next-gen stuff. The combat management system isn't really any better than what already exists with other navies (including our own), but using it leverages the common source library (aka app ecosystem) that the US has developed. Which means numerous and specialized applications for a variety of combat scenarios/weapon systems. Lots of advantages with that.

All of the above and the discrimination of extremely fast-moving, small targets in order to provide a fire control solution. The SPY 7 is next-gen stuff. The combat management system isn't really any better than what already exists with other navies (including our own), but using it leverages the common source library (aka app ecosystem) that the US has developed. Which means numerous and specialized applications for a variety of combat scenarios/weapon systems. Lots of advantages with that.
Oh yeah- forgot about all of that. Plus the advantage of being networked into CEC means your ship can stay silent and fire ordnance based on somebody else’s fire control data. Keeps one alive somewhat longer!

No moving parts; resistant to combat damage because it can still work with parts of the antennae busted; can detect and track targets from sea level to low earth orbit. It is a monster of a system.
Do I understand correctly that since it's modular (essentially a bunch of self contained radar blocks), you could theoretically scale it up to be more and more capable as long as you have sufficient power generation & processing ability to keep up? And also scale it down, to whatever the minimum threshold to support a functional system would be?

Do I understand correctly that since it's modular (essentially a bunch of self contained radar blocks), you could theoretically scale it up to be more and more capable as long as you have sufficient power generation & processing ability to keep up? And also scale it down, to whatever the minimum threshold to support a functional system would be?
Not really sure about much more than what is in the sales brochure.

Back