• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada’s clunker subs should be sold as scrap

Did the we change the torpedo tubes .From 19inch to 21inch.So we could use are mk 48 torpedo's

Dolphin_Hunter said:
We all share the same facilities on the sub.  Up in the WSC where the sputs/trainees ride, the racks are 3 across, and yes the female rode up there too!  There was nothing in Canadization geared towards accommodating ladies, they don't really get any special treatment, if you want privacy stay on the surface!!

Canadianization from my simpleton point of view included installing Canadian Comms Equipment (rebuild of radio), Ditching the kipper electrical outlets, and installing a milk machine!  OH and the installation of one sweet *** XBOX network!

Excellent!

Matthew.  ;D  :salute:

What happens when the Victoria class subs have to be retired? I understand the need to have a sub fleet in the future as well, so what your considerations for a replacement? What about some of the ships the the Royal Navy has put on hold, or maybe something German (like their new U-boat). I know im not in my lane, being a "civy" and all, but what its still a valid question isn't it?

Well when they get retired 15-25 years in the future ideally we will replace them with whatever is on the market at that time

LoboCanada said:
What happens when the Victoria class subs have to be retired? I understand the need to have a sub fleet in the future as well, so what your considerations for a replacement? What about some of the ships the the Royal Navy has put on hold, or maybe something German (like their new U-boat). I know im not in my lane, being a "civy" and all, but what its still a valid question isn't it?
It will be an issue of what we want them to do in that particular time frame... will we want them for work in the great white north? will we want em to be Nuclear? will we be looking for cruise missile launchers?, etc, etc, etc.... ad nauseum

LoboCanada said:

Nothing on the market now will be "cutting edge" when its time to replace the Victoria class.

frist one said:
Did the we change the torpedo tubes .From 19inch to 21inch.So we could use are mk 48 torpedo's

Brit subs use 533mm same as we do, what would have been changed is the ability to fire sub harpoon

EX-DARGOON. My mistake.It was the OBERON. That use the MK 37.19 inch until they were up dated to 21 inch to use the MK48

There is a long term plan in place for these submarines.  There is also a website on the DIN that has a nice little time line with a date that the Victoria's are expected to be retired.  Have a search through the din, I won't be back at work for a while so I will not be able to provide a link to anyone.

LoboCanada said:

Well judging by their current build programs we could buy the U-218 or U-220 class  :)

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/type_212/

Colin P said:
Well judging by their current build programs we could buy the U-218 or U-220 class  :)

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/type_212/

nice boat...please sir may have some?

Interesting I was comparing the specs, I always thought the Upholder had greater range than the 212, but they seem at first glance to be comparable at 8,000nm and both around 56 days at sea. Althought the 212 can be built with AIP which is an advantage.

Back