• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can you identify this for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyeGuy

Inactive
Reaction score
I spotted this plane as I was arriving at our lake near Kenora Ontario on Wednesday at 2:30pm, it did at least 6 circles of the lake and flew very low.  Any idea what kind of aircraft this is and why it chose to fly circles around a sparsley populated lake in cottage country?....I anxiously await your replies...

thanks...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like a C130 and perhaps it was doing search and rescue or training for search and rescue over lake of the woods.

Missing female hiker/jogger at Rainbow Falls Prov. Park ?

That Herc might have a prop, but that doesn't mean it belongs in the Rotorheads forum.  EWWWW!

Mods: Can we move this to the fixed-wing forum please?

CC-130 Hercules conducting SAR operations most likely...

Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated....I still can't figure out why that plane would be circling our lake 6 time though, its only a small lake in the middle of no where, about a mile long and half a mile wide......We never heard of anyone missing in this area.  Wouldnt the local authorities just send up a float plane to look if someone was missing....This plane couldn't have landed anywhere close to this area.  Where would be the closest base for one of these planes?.......

RyeGuy said:
Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated....I still can't figure out why that plane would be circling our lake 6 time though, its only a small lake in the middle of no where, about a mile long and half a mile wide......We never heard of anyone missing in this area.  Wouldnt the local authorities just send up a float plane to look if someone was missing....This plane couldn't have landed anywhere close to this area.  Where would be the closest base for one of these planes?.......

Trenton & Winnipeg

RyeGuy said:

They don't need to land to kick the SAR Techs out the back via parachute. Then the helo, or other means, comes to pick them up later.

Perhaps it was conducting an exercise, or a real search.

If it bothered you that much, feel free to call either Trenton or Winnipeg Operations and they'll be happy to register your complaint.

Checking out the action around the fall hunt camp....err, I mean 'Adventure Training'?? ;D

SF2 said:
Perhaps it was conducting an exercise, or a real search.

If it bothered you that much, feel free to call either Trenton or Winnipeg Operations and they'll be happy to register your complaint.

SF2...where in his posts was he complaining...he was curious about an aircraft that was unfamiliar and doing unfamiliar activities in his neck of the woods. Watch yourself!

Milnet.ca Staff

Definitely a C-130 Hercules. I used to fly on them. It's by no means unusual for the aircraft to be performing such a maneuver which was probably related to search and rescue (SAR) or training for SAR.
Crews often go out on training flights to hone their skills or to train new crewmembers on procedures used in air searches.
It's quite possible that during their training they just randomly picked your lake as a land mark to use for a maneuver. Usually such training goes unnoticed as most wilderness lakes don't have people around them.
I can't be certain that this was the case at your lake but it's the most likely reason for the sighting.

I never said he was complaining.  I simply said that if he wanted to, he could submit a noise complaint to the appropriate organization.
why it chose to fly circles around a sparsley populated lake in cottage country?....I anxiously await your replies...

Sounds to me like he's wanted to say something about it.........
And judging by his other posts, it would seem to indicate that he was more annoyed by the c130 than fascinated by it....

SF2 said:
I never said he was complaining.  I simply said that if he wanted to, he could submit a noise complaint to the appropriate organization.
Sounds to me like he's wanted to say something about it.........
And judging by his other posts, it would seem to indicate that he was more annoyed by the c130 than fascinated by it....

But I'm a pilot who hears of noise complaints all the time, so what would I know....

I don't get the same impression from his two posts, SF2.  He just struck me as genuinely curious.

Perhaps your experience of noise complaints lead you to be hyper-sensitive to the question?

the second photo looks like it has the Plexiglas's para doors on it,and the ramp is open, so its  a SAR  (Search and Rescue) aircraft.

Not at all.  There is nothing wrong with noise complaints.  They are inherent with the nature of military flying - late at night and low altitudes.  I'm sure a few pilots take them personally, I don't.  The complaints get diseminated to the appropriate personnel and the proper steps are taken to mitigate the problem.  End of story.

If the original poster doesn't want aircraft flying over his house, he can call the operations center and register as a sensitive citizen, then he wouldn't have to worry anymore.  Not a big deal.

SF2 said:
Not at all.  There is nothing wrong with noise complaints.  They are inherent with the nature of military flying - late at night and low altitudes.  I'm sure a few pilots take them personally, I don't.  The complaints get diseminated to the appropriate personnel and the proper steps are taken to mitigate the problem.  End of story.

If the original poster doesn't want aircraft flying over his house, he can call the operations center and register as a sensitive citizen, then he wouldn't have to worry anymore.  Not a big deal.

Fair enough - I guess the word "complaint" is semantically loaded for me.

No harm, no foul.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but, re: the noise complaints--

I still remember standing on my balcony in Yellowknife at mid-day watching a CF-18 take off from the airport (back about '88) and loving the show.  He tucked the gear up and made a tight port bank over the Range Lake South neighbourhood.  Absolutely wonderful!

A day or so later I was talking w/ the Public Affairs Offr at NorReg, and mentioned to him how much I appreciated the CF-18.  His reply astounded me. He said "well, you're one of the few.  Most of the people that phoned in wanted him hung, drawn, and quartered!"

Just goes to show; people don't appreciate a great moment when they see it. Of course, I'm the guy who--as a kid staying with friends in France--stayed up long after bedtime just watching the Canadian Starfighters take off for their patrols. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back