• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can you be promoted at camp?

brad16

Inactive
Reaction score
i was just wondering can you get promoted at camp????

thanks
:cdn:

MOD Note: Please use a more descriptive subject title next time.

Course cadets are course cadets....thats all they can ever aspire to be while on course...staff cadets may be promoted should the need arise, say, due to an RTU. A position would need to be filled...thus a promotion may take place...but none of these promotions ever affect your rank when you return to you LHQ. however, your work and effort made during your course may affect your upcoming promotions. Hope that helps.

brad16 said:

thanks
:cdn:

well i dont know if this has changed but i remeber back in the day when there wasnt enough staff to fill all the positions they would pick a course cadet and have him as an acting section commander. but nothing really changes except ur required to do alot more stuff.

patty said:
well i dont know if this has changed but i remeber back in the day when there wasnt enough staff to fill all the positions they would pick a course cadet and have him as an acting section commander. but nothing really changes except ur required to do alot more stuff.
What they do now, for the CLI courses especially, but also for the CL courses, they will have a rotation of each cadet taking a Section Senior (Pte), or Platoon Senior (Cpl) position for the day and the staff will evaluate them on their performance throughout the day. They also wear a brassard with the appropriate rank for the day, to be identified.

Every Course I have been on with the exception of one have had a flight sr positions.  If you were unlucky you had to do it for extended periods of time.  They normally try to get every person to have a turn at it, it also depends on where you are.  If my memory serves we had them on basic.  The only course where we didn't have them was in the power squadron where everyone held their home rank and used the autochain of command that was formed by that. 

The coolest thing i have ever encountered while at camp was at "MES" at Lac Sab (Baggotville) in 98.  While i was on the Survival Instructors course, i ran into some glider candidates one day on base.  All the glider cadets were given the rank of LAC for the summer, so i guess since i was a course cadet, they technically outranked me.  We don't do the same thing in central region, although i thought it was a cool idea.

cheers

PV

Really? That does sound pretty neat, however, that is no longer done. Everyone on course is just a cadet in Eastern now.
WO2 Gubbels said:
Every Course I have been on with the exception of one have had a flight sr positions.  If you were unlucky you had to do it for extended periods of time.  They normally try to get every person to have a turn at it, it also depends on where you are.
Same, except we didn't have them on Aircrew, guess they weren't deemed to be necessary.

WO2 Gubbels said:
The only course where we didn't have them was in the power squadron where everyone held their home rank and used the autochain of command that was formed by that. 

How I wish..................................didn't happen for me, with the result that when I went to St Jean all the staff cadets took poopies on the powers..........oh well.

brad16 said:

Only the CO of your home Cadet Corps can give you a promotion.   Staff Cadets ranks are only temporary and do not affect you rank progression at your home unit.  

PViddy said:
The coolest thing i have ever encountered while at camp was at "MES" at Lac Sab (Baggotville) in 98.   While i was on the Survival Instructors course, i ran into some glider candidates one day on base.   All the glider cadets were given the rank of LAC for the summer, so i guess since i was a course cadet, they technically outranked me.  

Actually, they where Power Scholarship cadets and the LAC ranks where issued to help differentiate the fly-boys who "belonged" to ERGS from the other Bagotville cadets.  

I was a course cadet on CL in 2004 and I was promoted to Mcpl to fill staff vacancies. Also the CLI courses in Blackdown, usually Alpha promote people to Mcpl if they feel the deserve it.

In the Coy I work with this year @ Blackdown we had one course cadet that was given the rank of Sgt STAFF CADET and transfered to a different Coy. I had Course cadets that had NSCE they should have been staff cadets, and they were in a CL company.  :salute:

primer said:
In the Coy I work with this year @ Blackdown we had one course cadet that was given the rank of Sgt STAFF CADET and transfered to a different Coy.
Lucky.

primer said:
In the Coy I work with this year @ Blackdown we had one course cadet that was given the rank of Sgt STAFF CADET and transfered to a different Coy. I had Course cadets that had NSCE they should have been staff cadets, and they were in a CL company.   :salute:
Interesting ... did this happen after I left? I only knew of someone that was taken out of CLI Adventure and made a Staff Cadet Sgt.

Both before and after.

After you left your Coy fell apart  ::)

This year at VACSTC I heard they were going to give everyone in the Pioneer course the rank of corporal because it was the most senior course.  They were going to give them brassards with corporal chevrons with the pioneer logo on them but they didnt for some reason, much to the releif of everyone sharing their barracks haha. ;D

ok ryanmann just because they were going to give us rank doesn't mean we would've acted any different. everyone in pioneer was mature enough to have been responsible with the rank as we were all senior cadets at our home corps. All of you listened to us anyways so would it have mattered.

WO Brookes said:
ok ryanmann just because they were going to give us rank doesn't mean we would've acted any different. everyone in pioneer was mature enough to have been responsible with the rank as we were all senior cadets at our home corps. All of you listened to us anyways so would it have mattered.
  There is no need to be so testy.

Back