• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can naval personnel acquire jumpwings?

Frankonopolous

Inactive
Reaction score
Couldn't find anything in the search, other day was talking to a fellow sailor after he was driving home from a wedding in his dress uniform; on his tunic I noticed paratrooper jumpwings. I didn't bother to ask (which I should have otherwise I wouldn't be asking now)

But in the end are naval personnel able to get jumpwings? or can only sailors who have transfered from army to navy wear their jumpwings from when they acquired it during their time in the army before their transfer to navy.

Yes, Naval personnel can get wings.  No, it isn't common.

On B Para we had a Navy Med Tech, I believe he was part of the 2 FD AMB medics supporting 3RCR.  I met a Sailor who got his wings while in a support role in CANSOF, right place right time kind of thing.  I would imagine the odds of a RCN unit sending a Sailor on B Para would be next to nil though; with the exception of Clearance Divers/FDU as looking at the Trident Fury photos it seems some are qualified (at least SLSQ).  Navy Supply Techs I would assume would also be eligible to attend B Para if they are going to be Parachute Riggers.

Our Chief Clerk is a PO. He has jump wings.

Mind, he's never been near a dockyard his entire career either ;D

And don't forget the promotion to CPO2 of Tony Specht while he was with the Skyhawks. He is now Chief ERA on one of the west coast ships.

Pretty impressive way to get promoted

Does CPO2 Specht have jump wings though?  I read a quick bio of him and he was able to get onto the team because of his civilian sky diving quals/experience.  Did the training and jumps with the SkyHawks earn him(and the others) Parachutist wings?

I actually never thought of that and do not know the answer. One of the west coast guys on here might know though.

From memory, he doesn't.  Pretty sure his jumps prior to selection for the Skyhawks where civvy.  I'll check.
For some reason, a fair number of the west coast Mar Eng community pine for this sort of thing and it's not just them.  I know an ex bosn i did OP Apollo with 10 odd yrs ago who, at the time, was carrying an extra 50-60 pounds.  He is now with JTF2.

Now that would be a feat. Have an entire ship's company jump qualified, and then try and para drop a CPF into the Caspian Sea. The Iranians would never see it coming. ;D

Back when I was on ship, one of the supply tech's I worked with was getting ready for his Rigger's Course.

Pat in Halifax said:
And don't forget the promotion to CPO2 of Tony Specht while he was with the Skyhawks. He is now Chief ERA on one of the west coast ships.

Damn, beat me to it :) He still owes me a signed copy of that pic, too. :D

-Skeletor- said:
Does CPO2 Specht have jump wings though? 
All Skyhawks wear the CF Parachutist Wing with white maple leaf; they are CF parachutists in a designated parachute position. 

Whether or not he did a Basic Parachutist course is irrelevant -- upon completing the Skyhawks selection/training camp, he would have been awarded the Military Freefall Qualification Code (AIDA) on his MPRR, entitling him to the wings.

Journeyman said:
All Skyhawks wear the CF Parachutist Wing with white maple leaf; they are CF parachutists in a designated parachute position. 

Whether or not he did a Basic Parachutist course is irrelevant -- upon completing the Skyhawks selection/training camp, he would have been awarded the Military Freefall Qualification Code (AIDA) on his MPRR, entitling him to the wings.

Ack,  thanks for the information.

It is also possible that parachute wings could have been earned as an Army Cadet before the member joined the Canadian Forces.

yes.............I think a cadet para course is run every summer.

I have a follow-on question to this: recently, while visiting NDHQ (shudder) I saw something quite unordinary, even for NDHQ. There was a PO1 with his Naval jacket (I.e. the black NCD jacket) with his red jump wings stitched to the outside of it. Now I have never seen any other qualification attached to any of the work-dress uniforms (other than the old-school smock).

Is this a normal thing on navy bases (he was a hard sea trade judging by the cap badge)?

Just curious!

Frankonopolous said:
Couldn't find anything in the search, other day was talking to a fellow sailor after he was driving home from a wedding in his dress uniform; on his tunic I noticed paratrooper jumpwings. I didn't bother to ask (which I should have otherwise I wouldn't be asking now)

But in the end are naval personnel able to get jumpwings? or can only sailors who have transfered from army to navy wear their jumpwings from when they acquired it during their time in the army before their transfer to navy.

It wouldn't be a common thing to see, but there are other RCN pers with jump wings and are worn ontheir NCD jacket.  The Sailor I met who got his jump wings, also wore them on his NCD jacket.

Jump wings and other badges are worn on the NCD jacket. Such as various dolphin badges.

Back