• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can I go officer 3 year concentration Bachelor's Degree

kolkim

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey, I'm an Aviator in Cold Lake right now, planning on taking university courses online to eventually apply through the SCP or OT as an officer.

I am looking at Athabasca University and they offer many 3 year Bachelor degree programs, the one I am interested in is called "History Concentration - Bachelor of Arts (3 year)" which is a concentration vs a major like "History Major - Bachelor of Arts (4 year)". I've asked my WPSO and he gave me a run around answer, showed me the link to Entry Standards for different trades. My top choice is going to be Pilot with a secondary choice of Aerospace Control Officer which both have a "Ideal Entry Standard" of a degree in Bachelor of Arts: History. I have just got off the phone with the University asking the difference between a 3 year concentration and a 4 year major and she said that the only difference is with a major you can go straight into a Masters Degree, but both degrees are bachelor degrees with the same qualifications, however she had no knowledge of the military and officer trades.

Does anybody know about the specifications of these degrees and how they pertain to the Canadian Armed Forces?

Hi,

I was in a similar dilemma and was told by my recruiter that it doesn't matter whether it is a 3yr/4yrs degree for an officer position. As long as it is a university degree.

kolkim said:
I've asked my WPSO and he gave me a run around answer, showed me the link to Entry Standards for different trades. Does anybody know about the specifications of these degrees and how they pertain to the Canadian Armed Forces?

If you have the link to the MOS ID Entry Standards, then you have all the information that you pretty much need.  There really isn't much more your PSO could have provided, except for advice on academic upgrading.

Is there any form of PLAR or waiver of entry standards under SCP for pers who have related experience and education to compliment their degree.

For example, one wants to become an AERE officer, is an AVN tech, AME and has a BA not a Bsc or BEng.

trunkmonkey said:
Is there any form of PLAR or waiver of entry standards under SCP for pers who have related experience and education to compliment their degree.

For example, one wants to become an AERE officer, is an AVN tech, AME and has a BA not a Bsc or BEng.

I can only tell you my experience going through a similar (but not exactly the same) situation. I applied for AERE with a B.Sc. (physics) a couple years ago (I'm an AC Op). At the time, my degree did not qualify for AERE under SCP (they had tightened up the degree requirements around 2010 to only hard B.Eng.). Because of this I was forced to apply under UTPNCM instead of SCP (I wasn't selected in the end) to complete a B.Eng. Oddly enough the degree requirements for AERE have since changed again (2014) where they are once again accepting B.A. and B.Sc. degrees where 75% of the courses taken can be directly related to the courses taken under a B.Eng. You'll have to get the relevant document but basically any Math,Physics,Chemistry,Computer Science or Engineering courses will count towards this 75%. If you can go through your B.A transcript and hit the 75%, then you should be able to apply under SCP. Otherwise you'll likely have to apply under UTP to complete a second degree (which is possible). The remaining option would be nomination under CFR (depending on your rank), but that's a top down nomination process (not really in your hands to apply). I hope this helps.

What is your definition of "related experience and education"? I ask because if someone is really considering being an AERE officer, and has a BA degree, they might find themselves struggling during trade trading if science hasn't always been their thing, but that is not to say it's not possible.

On the flip side, imagine a hard science background person going as a Log O, and then finding themselves dealing with accounts and the likes. It's not like we are talking combat arms here where the degree you have is irrelevant to be an Armour / Infantry / Arty officer

For AERE, here is the 'scripted' requirements as DEO

If you already have a Bachelor of Engineering or a university degree in applied sciences, computer science, engineering management or space sciences, the Forces will decide if your academic program matches the criteria for this job and may place you directly into the required on-the-job training program following basic training.

trunkmonkey said:

Flatspin said:
I can only tell you my experience going through a similar (but not exactly the same) situation. I applied for AERE with a B.Sc. (physics) a couple years ago (I'm an AC Op). At the time, my degree did not qualify for AERE under SCP (they had tightened up the degree requirements around 2010 to only hard B.Eng.). Because of this I was forced to apply under UTPNCM instead of SCP (I wasn't selected in the end) to complete a B.Eng. Oddly enough the degree requirements for AERE have since changed again (2014) where they are once again accepting B.A. and B.Sc. degrees where 75% of the courses taken can be directly related to the courses taken under a B.Eng. You'll have to get the relevant document but basically any Math,Physics,Chemistry,Computer Science or Engineering courses will count towards this 75%. If you can go through your B.A transcript and hit the 75%, then you should be able to apply under SCP. Otherwise you'll likely have to apply under UTP to complete a second degree (which is possible). The remaining option would be nomination under CFR (depending on your rank), but that's a top down nomination process (not really in your hands to apply). I hope this helps.

I verified the document in question while at work (AERE MOSID entry requirements). I wasn't completely correct in my previous statement. Although the 75% quantity I stated is true, it turns out it must be a B.Sc. with 75% of the courses being related to the ideal degrees (i.e B.Eng.). A B.A. is not eligible for AERE according to that document.

Back