• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

George Wallace said:
Just saw this:

17191413_1300404530040838_9038241579311330556_n.jpg

Holy Jeebus.... that thing looks like the main gun on the Missouri.

Now all we need is a proper establishment of ATGMs.

So when the Canadian mission first launches out the door, it will be Op REASURANCE roto 8.

daftandbarmy said:
Holy Jeebus.... that thing looks like the main gun on the Missouri.

Now all we need is a proper establishment of ATGMs.

Wonder how fast it is to reload that beast...

MM

Did I miss It?

Is no one in the battlegroup providing artillery support?

As that's a massive deficiency in the Latvian ground forces, it seems like a rather large omission.

:salute:

At least one contributing nation (and maybe a second) has mortars in their company.  Canada does not have this in our company.

Would a battery of M777s be worth it though? Conflict breaks out and that battery is a write off sorry to say.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I tend to agree - it's better to keep what we have here to push back.  We're there as a trip wire and a deterrence, not to actually fight.

jmt18325 said:
I tend to agree - it's better to keep what we have here to push back.  We're there as a trip wire and a deterrence, not to actually fight.

I don't think it is reasonable to ask our acting serving men and women, their spouses and children to accept that should a conflict break out, we have planned that the force to be wiped out in it's entirety.  But good news we've held back forces to eventually re-take that land later.

Either build a defensible position or don't go...

Cdn Blackshirt said:
I don't think it is reasonable to ask our acting serving men and women, their spouses and children to accept that should a conflict break out, we have planned that the force to be wiped out in it's entirety.  But good news we've held back forces to eventually re-take that land later.
Welcome to the only profession where you can be ordered to do something that will get you killed because that is what the mission requires.

MCG said:
Welcome to the only profession where you can be ordered to do something that will get you killed because that is what the mission requires.

I agree with the sentiment, but I thought police and fire services were obligated to do the same?

Dimsum said:
I agree with the sentiment, but I thought police and fire services were obligated to do the same?

No, they, and all civilian workers, have the right to refuse unsafe working conditions.

They're only expected to deal with a "normal" hazard of their job.

For example, a police officer can't refuse to work because criminals may be armed.

They can refuse to work if the brakes in their cruiser aren't in good working condition.

I'm not saying those troops don't deserve arty support but realistically, we have 37 M777's, lets say five are used as training aids at the various schools. 32 guns is only 8 batteries to cover 3 CMBG's, the math doesn't sound like we have assets we can afford to loose.

MilEME09: Any more than any other "assets", including people, that "we can afford to lose"?

Mark
Ottawa

All,

Just a reminder about OPSEC. Some posts are straying close.

-Army.ca Staff

MarkOttawa said:
MilEME09: Any more than any other "assets", including people, that "we can afford to lose"?

Mark
Ottawa

Given the size and equipment the CF does have, we can't afford any loses in a peer to peer engagement, and I fear if we get into a shooting war thats serious, by the time the government actually gets into it's usually reactionary action when it comes to defense, it may be too late.

MilEME09 said:
Given the size and equipment the CF does have, we can't afford any loses in a peer to peer engagement, and I fear if we get into a shooting war thats serious, by the time the government actually gets into it's usually reactionary action when it comes to defense, it may be too late.

its a political show, there is no intent to make a defense of it or even to reply right away if the balloon goes up, just a NATO national sized pinky swear.  Russia says "I want Latvia but I got to shoot up Yanks, Canucks, and Poles, do I want that?"  Pinky swear.

Lightguns said:
its a political show, there is no intent to make a defense of it or even to reply right away if the balloon goes up, just a NATO national sized pinky swear.  Russia says "I want Latvia but I got to shoot up Yanks, Canucks, and Poles, do I want that?"  Pinky swear.

Kind of like Hong Kong with the Japanese....

Hmmmm....I wonder if there was a lesson that should've been learned from that? 

Cdn Blackshirt said:
Kind of like Hong Kong with the Japanese....

Hmmmm....I wonder if there was a lesson that should've been learned from that?

unfortunately everyone who learned those lesson's was out of influence by the late 1960's, then in the 70's we signed up for CAST, Hong Kong 2.0 waiting to happen, now it's latvia.

The comparison to Hong Kong is only fitting at the tactical level.  The Japanese were not worried about starting a war with the Commonwealth because they were already at war.  The eFP means that Russia cannot start a war in one of the countries without starting a fight with many other NATO countries.

Given Article 7, having allied troops in place should not be required, that said from a political point of view it does help.

Back