• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

What does "enhanced fwd presence" even mean? What's the difference between fwd presence and the enhanced version?

I mentioned in another thread, the Aurora is just being included “because
Good day to all. It's been a long time since I posted here, so long I had to re-register, but I could think of no better place to ask this question. Putin has stated that "Canada will pay a price for it's sanctions". Could Russian assets begin to challenge Canada's north, land some men and equipment and plant a flag, and are we ready to respond? I know it's pure speculation on my part but after the last 2 yrs I'm starting to think anything is possible. Thanks for your consideration.

For now I believe Russia will concentrate on the "north" that is closer to their own landmass. They have lots of work to do and loads of square miles to do "stuff" with/to.

I don't think that "landing some men/equipment, planting flag" is something that NORAD would just turn a blind eye on; Maritime approaches are also part of the NORAD task.

Not sure how I messed up the Aurora comment above; the Aurora is already deployed in Iceland and will be “re-deployed”.

Not sure how I messed up the Aurora comment above; the Aurora is already deployed in Iceland and will be “re-deployed”.
I only ever hear Aurora's deploying by them selves, is there no point in deploying in pairs?

I mentioned in another thread, the Aurora is just being included “because

For now I believe Russia will concentrate on the "north" that is closer to their own landmass. They have lots of work to do and loads of square miles to do "stuff" with/to.

I don't think that "landing some men/equipment, planting flag" is something that NORAD would just turn a blind eye on; Maritime approaches are also part of the NORAD task.
Svalbard possibly? Whatever they do, China will give them political cover.

I only ever hear Aurora's deploying by them selves, is there no point in deploying in pairs?

IMPACT was a 2 plane ATF/Det from Oct 14 - Dec 17. You're right, though, it has been primarly single aircraft ATFs/Dets in recent history.

There's lots of benefits to 2+ plane ATFs/Dets, but Mom and Dad have to juggle competing FG/FE/FD/Maint demands with a 14 tail fleet that is also undergoing upgrades the last XX years on a rotating basis. Aside from IMPACT, the only time I was away with multi-aircraft LRPATFs was exercises (Scotland, Sicily).

Having said that, I've never done a deployment where we were the only game in town; fixed wing partners have included USA, France, Australia, New Zealand, Norway and Japan assets have been part of the overall ATF (Air Task Force) usually. Exercises are the same, including Cutlass Fury (RCN, "Atlantic" exercise).

Last edited:
the GOC/CAF in Latvia:

Also the GOC/CAF:

It is critical that until public health advice permits a reduction in the use of PHMs, every member of the DT continue to apply PHMs, particularly the use of non-medical masks (NMMs), to protect ourselves, our colleagues, and the broader Canadian population.

Because there's nothing more people like than a double fucking standard! How's that whole 'culture change' coming, Snr leadership?

the GOC/CAF in Latvia:

Also the GOC/CAF:

It is critical that until public health advice permits a reduction in the use of PHMs, every member of the DT continue to apply PHMs, particularly the use of non-medical masks (NMMs), to protect ourselves, our colleagues, and the broader Canadian population.

Because there's nothing more people like than a double fucking standard! How's that whole 'culture change' coming, Snr leadership?

Nothing to see here, Covid doesn’t exist in Latvia.

26562B1D-0BD5-43AF-925A-13040F0F6B28.png

Keep wearing that mask at home though, at this point politics and virtue signalling are the priority of the DT.

I believe that there is a "next" step regarding Canada's and NATO's presence in Latvia that would increase the troops and equipment. From what I have been reading NATO would like to implement that increase asap. Shouldn't there be a RORO ship in St John's (NB) harbour awaiting this order?

I believe that there is a "next" step regarding Canada's and NATO's presence in Latvia that would increase the troops and equipment. From what I have been reading NATO would like to implement that increase asap. Shouldn't there be a RORO ship in St John's (NB) harbour awaiting this order?
CAF war stocks are mostly in Montreal.

Saint John, NB. St John’s is NFLD.

Are we shipping them the museum pieces from Gagetown??

Back