• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF OR RCMP

Gravity49

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there, I am writing this in the hope of getting some genuine opinions from all of you here in regards to my future career choice.

I am currently approaching the very final stage of the RCMP application process and I also already received the job offer from CAF as an officer cadet. However, the challenge is that both jobs are my dream jobs and I really don’t know how to choose even after consulting family and friends.

Fact is with RCMP, there’s at least possibility of getting posted back to my home province, whereas the trade offered from CAF won’t allow such at all, and that may be my major concern. In addition, both will be officer cadet and according to my understanding,  there won’t be official employment offer till after graduation from training (BMOQ is 13 wks and Depot is 6months).

After BMOQ, if one failed further training for his chosen trade, what would happen? What’s the pros and cons for both careers? If you were me, what would you do? If there’s no base in your home province, and your family still lives there, what might be the solution?

The offer letter from CAF is right in front of me and the deadline to reply and accept it is the end of this month, whereas I don’t know how much longer it’ll take for RCMP to grant the job offer. Therefore, I am hoping someone here can help providing some experienced opinions in such matter.

Thanks in advance and I truly look forward to your kind replies.

I'm going to say this as gently as possible and I mean this dead literally. This is not sarcasm:

Both RCMP and the CAF are not only Canada wide, they have international postings. If you're not prepared to go where you're needed, when you're needed, without freaking out and getting your nose out of joint, then you may want to consider going for a local law enforcement agency or provincial sheriffs agency. One of the biggest issues both the RCMP and the CAF have are people enlisting and then losing their fool minds when they're told they have to move somewhere they didn't expect to go. That's the job. If you're not ready to embrace that and take advantage of the free trip across this absolutely incredibly diverse country, then you need to think long and hard before signing on that contract line.

Now, the personal side. I was in exactly the same position. The CAF offered me an enrolment date before the RCMP did. I chose the CAF. I've loved every single freaking minute of it. Has my career manager done everything she can to get me into my preferred postings? Yes... because I made SURE that my preferred postings were on her "must fill" requirements list. For the most part, if you work with your career manager/file manager they will love you for it and bend over backwards to get you where you want to go. Does that mean every single time a position comes up that needs to be filled, they're going to ask me first? F#ck no. And guess what? I'm moving. Because that's my job.

Re: Official Employment: You're employed the moment you swear in with the CAF. I was put on unpaid leave until I stepped foot in St-Jean for Basic. I've been paid like a functional, working, drooling toddler since..... ;)

Best of luck.

Can’t thank you enough for the profound reply and it helps a lot! I will make the decision and I’m sure it’ll be the right decision!

First, complete your 7 years with the CAF as you'll gain terrific leadership experience. And you will be young enough to complete the highly physical requirements. If you still love the CAF, keep going. Or, at that point, transition over to the RCMP which is less physically demanding meaning you can do this later in life. You can even stay in the CAF as a PRes, you won't need to complete those trades qualifications again, and you can promote to Capt/Major etc. Also, in that point of your life you will likely have a young family and can have a semi-permanent lifestyle in one Province. There's people in the RCMP that have never moved in 25 years. Your pensionable time with the CAF will trigger once you hit the 25 years with the RCMP.

PM me if you have any other questions.

OP hasn't been active for almost a year: Last seen Feb 29, 2020

Hi there, I am writing this in the hope of getting some genuine opinions from all of you here in regards to my future career choice.

I am currently approaching the very final stage of the RCMP application process and I also already received the job offer from CAF as an officer cadet. However, the challenge is that both jobs are my dream jobs and I really don’t know how to choose even after consulting family and friends.

Fact is with RCMP, there’s at least possibility of getting posted back to my home province, whereas the trade offered from CAF won’t allow such at all, and that may be my major concern. In addition, both will be officer cadet and according to my understanding, there won’t be official employment offer till after graduation from training (BMOQ is 13 wks and Depot is 6months).

After BMOQ, if one failed further training for his chosen trade, what would happen? What’s the pros and cons for both careers? If you were me, what would you do? If there’s no base in your home province, and your family still lives there, what might be the solution?

The offer letter from CAF is right in front of me and the deadline to reply and accept it is the end of this month, whereas I don’t know how much longer it’ll take for RCMP to grant the job offer. Therefore, I am hoping someone here can help providing some experienced opinions in such matter.

Thanks in advance and I truly look forward to your kind replies.

Cops don't get to fire machine guns, parachute, throw grenades, drive over things with tanks, stab people with bayonets, drive giant trucks really fast across country, call in artillery fire, or use huge amounts of plastic explosive to vaporize things. And all of these things are best done when you are a teenager, obviously.

In summary: Be a soldier now, cop later.

Cops don't get to fire machine guns, parachute, throw grenades, drive over things with tanks, stab people with bayonets, drive giant trucks really fast across country, call in artillery fire, or use huge amounts of plastic explosive to vaporize things. And all of these things are best done when you are a teenager, obviously.

Really? They do in the movies and on TV.

In summary: Be a soldier now, cop later.

That's the cook's job.

Back