• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF international bases, staging areas, and fighting formations

MCG said:
The Japan agreement is in the wrong thread.  It is only an agreement for cooperation should we find ourselves working together in a common theatre of operations.
This is based on this:
Canada and Japan have reached an agreement in principle that would see a Canadian military logistics base established in Japan.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe made an appearance with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Tuesday, before both travel to New York to participate in United Nations discussions.

"Our countries took an important step today toward strengthening bilateral defence relations," Harper told reporters.

The plan is for a "mutual logistics support hub that will facilitate the sharing of basic goods and services." ....
MCG said:
Don't be expecting too many Japanese postings from this.
You knew what folks were looking for in this, no?  ;D

With the growing tensions in Europe, would it be smart to reopen a military base in Lahr or elsewhere in Germany? Something like a brigade to bolster NATOs forces and Deter more Russian expansion. Obviously the rest of the west would have to be contributing to an overall reinforcement of the region. What would be the pros and cons of such a move?

Cons: Cost.  Lack of personnel.  Lack of equipment.  Lack of well defined role.

Pro: More German beer.

dapaterson said:
Cons: Cost.  Lack of personnel.  Lack of equipment.  Lack of well defined role.

Pro: More German beer.
Pro: German Women
      Pretzels
      BMW's at cost

Ref: http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/101118.25

As per the above link this topic has already been discussed.  There is an operational support hub (OSB) in Germany but this is not a Canadian garrison like in days past with a CMBG and a CAD.

Cheers

Yeah I seen the article on the support hub, I'm talking full brigade for the reopen.

I doubt you'd be able to convince the government, much less the Canadian tax payers, that this would be dollars well spent at this point in time.

MM

medicineman said:
I doubt you'd be able to convince the government, much less the Canadian tax payers, that this would be dollars well spent at this point in time.

MM

And I'm thinking the German government might have a vote also  :)

But if it was a Reserve Brigade...you know, 6-7 Regiments with an all-up strength of maybe 400 troops.  It would keep the cost down -- well, except for all the LCols and CWOs.  >:D

Journeyman said:
But if it was a Reserve Brigade...you know, 6-7 Regiments with an all-up strength of maybe 400 troops.  It would keep the cost down -- well, except for all the LCols and CWOs.  >:D

400 would likely be the count of all the LCols and CWO's...all had served there in the 60's and 70's and hoping that would count towards their Foreign Service Pay...even more money then.

medicineman said:
400 would likely be the count of all the LCols and CWO's...all had served there in the 60's and 70's and hoping that would count towards their Foreign Service Pay...even more money then.
I never had the opprtunity to serve in Germany.

I call dibs on the Leave Centre!!!

Sounds like there is a need for a Visits and Leave JNCO.  I would be willing to make a sacrifice and go OUTCAN for.  Well heck lets just make it to my CRA.

my72jeep said:
Pro: German Women
      Pretzels
      BMW's at cost

Are you sure that (East) German women are necessarily a pro?

20080327-TammyThomas.jpg

Infantryman2b said:
With the growing tensions in Europe, would it be smart to reopen a military base in Lahr or elsewhere in Germany? Something like a brigade to bolster NATOs forces and Deter more Russian expansion.
Given that the Europeans and the US lack the will to make even the smallest useful gesture to deter Russian expansion, there is no way that Canada is going to "bolster" them with "in situ" forces.  Never mind a war weary and financially fragile US against the backdrop of global financial weakness.  At this point, for example, it is still not clear if France is going to go ahead with their sale of their two "unarmed civilian ships" to Poutin. The EU needs to show that it is a vertebrate.

Canada has been there, done that for forty years of the Cold War, and we are unlikely to redeploy any time soon to Europe.

Likely these OS Hubs will all be situated inside of existing US or coalition bases. This covers the need for force protection, utility services and access to air or sea ports.

If you want to see where they could or will go, check out major US bases in these areas. We will most likely piggyback off them. No doubt they will open on an as-needed basis during medium to large operations and remain open following the end of the operation on a minimal caretaker status. This way the cost of setting up the base can be rolled into the operational budgets that are often specially assigned outside of the general DND budget.

Back