• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF in video games

UCModFloppy

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,
  I want to say what a great resource you have here for all Canadians, both Mil and Civi. A few friends and I are making a modification (mod) for the fps game Battlefield2 that brings the CAF into the game. We want to represent the CAF in Afghanistan to the best of our ability. So far we have most of the handheld weapons and a few vehicles into the mod. Hoping to go public late this fall early winter maybe. Taking out time to do it right. Anyone interested can check our site at http://www.united-coalition.com

Judging from what I have seen my students come up and some other school's students come up off the internet for either class assignments or Remembrance Day projects it is already out there. Try a google search of "Canadian troops, Afghanistan" in both text and image functions it is all there. Or you can try a site search in which you will most likely be overload with information. Just as an aside there is also some other very interesting missions Canadian troops have participated on. Thinking back to the Yugo era I sure there are many out there that  would just love to TOW a tank, in a few cases they would never get any further into the game.
Good Luck.

Thanks 3rd Herd,
       We have a few active and alumni military personnel as helppers so we get stuff right. As of this point we have 5 maps, the Leo C2 Mark 1, and RG-31 in-game, along with the C7A2, C8A2, C9, Browning pistol, Timberwolf .338 and M13 grenade. In the build stages are the LAV-III, Bison, and Coyote. Most of the maps centre around the Panjawaii district.
    My little bro was in tito drvar in 97 i think with PPCLI.

I've attached an in-game screenshot of our Leo C2 Mark 1. The texturing and weaponry is still work in progress, waitting to put the C6 on the rail.

I have actually been following this mod and the updates from the websites, and I am anxious to see it in action If you are ever doing beta testing or any trail versions are released, please include me, I would love to be apart of the mod! I, myself am just a recruit for the PRes, but I am a Canadian Military enthusiast, so I may be able to help out, or give suggestions. If you're interested in having me on board, my email is Andrew_forever_7@hotmail.com. I am also a huge BF2 fan :)

Thanks for the interest Andrew, we will be having closed beta sessions coming up soon, hopefully late Sept. if my move across the country goes smoothly. I'll let you know for sure when and how. The mod has undergone many changes since it first started 2 years ago. I've been with the mod for just about a year now, and co-leader for about 6-9 months. It was renamed United Coalition back in January when it had been formerly known as Conflict Canada.

UCModFloppy,
you may also want to have one of your military alumni types get in touch with the various regimental archivists at the Museum of the Regiments here in Calgary. They have access to all sorts of "goodies".

Thanks 3rd, I'll see what they can do. If memory serves me correctly, there was a Canadian Forces mod for the Game Operation Flashpoint, but the base game was not as popular as others are today. We have most of the info we need, except sound sources for the weapons and vehicles. We can find suitable near-sounding things for some of it, but for integrity i'm hoping the CAF might allow someone with a recorder onto the range or if they have sound files of vehicles let us a copy.

Thank you blindspot,
    The link is good, but the link to his own site in that forum is down. I'll wait a little while to see if anyone else reveals any more mods I hadn't seen before, then post a list of them here with links to sites for everyone.

Hey UC Mod,

Some points on modding the guns (the artillery - that is...  ;D )

When they're not in a mission, they show the barrels as horizontal - yep, depending on what's going on out there on the battlefield, it is entirely possible to see the barrels level.  But, when they fire, they would be better depicted if you could put them at... say... 45 degrees or so?  Howitzers actually cannot fire straight up into the air as depicted in Battlefield 2.  I'm not sure if you can change them, since they're already in the game... just a thought.
Also, as a finer point.  You might want to add both an iron sight and the new digital screen.  The in-game gun looks beautiful from a distance, but when you get up close it's lacking some basic details.
And... you should add a couple of 81mm mortars per gun (placed in close proximity) for local defence.  The CF team would be able to call in missions using the mortars as well?
And... (whee!  grammar out the window...) how about adding the excalibur round?  Single shot - hyper-acurate - limited ammo - very devastating.

There, that's a nice quick list (very poorly edited, sorry - times limited on these computers).

take care,
Mark

oop... just thought of another one as I 'proofread' this.  You were mentioning getting the right sounds and that reminded me of some details for both the M777 and the D30 (the ANA use those over here).  The M777 when fired with the new MACS (Modular Artillery Charge System) High 4 or 5... is really, really, really, reallllllly loud.  I mean loud.  I mean, I'm a gunner and it's loud.  Am I getting that point across?  ;D 
The D30, when it fires, has a huge ball of flame around the breach (yep, the breach.  Not just the muzzle - sure, there's one there too, but the breach).  So much so that they use a 25 foot lanyard EVERY time they fire.

Oh, one other really good point for both M777's and D30's.  Over here, when you fire, you always kick up a significant cloud of dust.  And it lingers and lingers.

OK, gotta send this.  Running out of time.

Mark

Hey Everyone,
  Well our mod team is taking our undertaking to another level! We are leaving the BF2 engine to enter the mod into the Crysis game engine. This change will allow us a totally new level of both detail and realism. The game maps are based on satellite images of the actual. I would really appreciate any help I can get from the members here to get things as real and correct as possible. The mod is going to be based upon movements in 2005-2007. Any pictures, stories, ect that veterans can share with me to get things right will be appreciated and credited. :salute: send me a pm if your able to help, Thanks, will update as often as possible.

Floppy :cdn:

screw the crisis engine, use the new frostbite engine that will be in BF: Bad Company. there are a couple of weapons you want to change: C8A3, C9A2, Leo 2 A4, 84mm Carl G A3, Remington 870 shotgun, i think there are more that I can't think of right now. for sound, there should be existing sound files from previous games (E.g. ghost recon, Rainbow Six, Ext.), contact the developers and they may help you out.

Hey ProPatria031,
      We have had enough of DICE, their lack of mod support, and I think BF:BC is console only. The Crytek team is giving their all to the mod community. Its great to see such great support. Existing sound files from other games are copyrighted and remain the property of the publisher/developer. It's more fun to get a tour and grab the real sounds :) Long as a vehicle or weapon was in Afghanistan from 2005-2007, we can put it in the game. If it wasnt there, it wont be in the mod.

Bad Company will be for consoles only most likely but they will be making BF3 for PC.

The Project Reality mod for BF2 is working towards some  :cdn:  Canadian Forces content:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/4338/project-reality

http://www.realitymod.com/

/grayrc

Back