• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Combat boots policy 2005-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
ArmyVern said:
You are a leader in the CAF I believe.  Look up the ref (because I've posted it in this very thread) and you'll find your answer to your question.  Then, you'll be able to impart this knowledge to your subordinates as leaders do.  How many times do you want me to do it for you?  Knowledge is power. Pass it along.

I went back 8 pages and couldn't decipher the reference you're talking about. Could you narrow it down a little for me please?

Also
LOTB is avail to Clot Stores and to be issued through attrition.

Could you explain exactly how issuing these boots through attrition works?  Does that mean I can take a pair of black combat boots and exchange them for new LOTBs or would my black combat boots need to be unservicable first in order to get the new boots issued?

Jarnhamar said:
I went back 8 pages and couldn't decipher the reference you're talking about. Could you narrow it down a little for me please?

On this very page of this thread:

http://army.ca/forums/threads/29061/post-1432746.html#msg1432746

Jarnhamar said:
What about boot attrition?

Your own particular RSM and CO should have been briefed on boot attrition by the respective QM, LogO, RQ, whatever by now and passed it via O Gps.  The attrition bit is out in email format from Ottawa and went to all bases; if you haven't heard anything on it yet, I'm guessing that's an internal comms problem.

Not having had an issue set of boots (except briefly the LOTB this past year) since the WWB fiasco started 1998 - 2000 time frame, what qualifies as attrition?  I still use MkIII, I gather supply will still exchange these provided their on a members Docs?

Old and Tired said:
I still use MkIII, I gather supply will still exchange these provided their on a members Docs?

I still wear mine too, but as for exchanging them ... no longer in the system.  If it's soles though, there are a few cobblers still in existence who will re-sole for you.  :-\

And if for some reason you ever had an inkling to buy MKIII's you can get them for cheap!

ArmyVern said:
Supply Tech needs to consult the SAM and see what it says about "sizing" and what happens when members can not be properly fitted from stock-range footwear.  Section 5.5, part 2.
I read that reference at work, so only members not drawing LOTB can get special size footwear? You posted an excerpt from an email stating LOTB or nothing basically.

PuckChaser said:
I read that reference at work, so only members not drawing LOTB can get special size footwear? You posted an excerpt from an email stating LOTB or nothing basically.

Sigh.

No, Ottawa was LPOing OTR footwear for everyone and their dog because there were none to be had in the system (there was no stock).  Now, the LOTBs are stocked in the system so people have to go get sized/issued them from clothing.  Blanket LPOs are no longer being done by Ottawa with national fin coding (because they are now stocked) for this item.

BUT, IAW the ref, if you can not be fitted from standard stocked sizes, then you need to see the Sup tech at clothing stores (not Ottawa) about LPOing you footwear that properly fits (with their Base's command allotment fin coding they receive for exactly this purpose).

ArmyVern said:
Sigh.

No, Ottawa was LPOing OTR footwear for everyone and their dog because there were none to be had in the system (there was no stock).  Now, the LOTBs are stocked in the system so people have to go get sized/issued them from clothing.  Blanket LPOs are no longer being done by Ottawa with national fin coding (because they are now stocked) for this item.

BUT, IAW the ref, if you can not be fitted from standard stocked sizes, then you need to see the Sup tech at clothing stores (not Ottawa) about LPOing you footwear that properly fits (with their Base's command allotment fin coding they receive for exactly this purpose).

I don't think the Sigh is required, as you likely are aware, the SAM is huge and the intricacies of the supply system are not at the forefront of people's minds. I'm not going to get frustrated because someone signing for a radio from Crypto doesn't have the INFOSEC 2(D) memorized and analyzed, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Thank you for the clarification.

PuckChaser said:
I don't think the Sigh is required, as you likely are aware, the SAM is huge and the intricacies of the supply system are not at the forefront of people's minds. I'm not going to get frustrated because someone signing for a radio from Crypto doesn't have the INFOSEC 2(D) memorized and analyzed, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Thank you for the clarification.

Well, I sigh because I am not at work ... and you should have a sup tech or someone to talk to at your Unit.

I do my very best to help out, but people unable to exert leadership and look up refs on the DWAN etc, or failure within their own CoCs to communicate down to their own members makes me freakin' sigh.  IE:  The probably 50 or so times I referenced the boot reference on this site ... and still get asked for it.  Some of these people are supposed to be "leaders" --- why am I their mother?  For crying out loud, the link to the SAM is on the Defence Team Homepage:  http://intranet.mil.ca/en/

Not you personally, just the fact this shit is no secret.

And, I'm on my own damn time.

If I was a betting man, I'd say there's not a Snr NCO in my immediate chain of command that would actually be able to find the correct reference on footwear and provide it to a junior member. Not on their own at least.

I have less than a decade of service, and yet the absolute lack of institutional knowledge I've seen displayed by those with double my TI is amazing. Even when you shove the reference in their face, they don't believe it or interpret it wrong, have to ask the WO/MWO/CWO for guidance.

Spectrum said:
If I was a betting man, I'd say there's not a Snr NCO in my immediate chain of command that would actually be able to find the correct reference on footwear and provide it to a junior member. Not on their own at least.

I have less than a decade of service, and yet the absolute lack of institutional knowledge I've seen displayed by those with double my TI is amazing. Even when you shove the reference in their face, they don't believe it or interpret it wrong, have to ask the WO/MWO/CWO for guidance.

The SAM is a large manual.  The link to it is on the DWAN homepage.  A search of DND for "Supply Manual" will also bring it up.

I bet you there isn't a supply tech in NATO who could give you the proper reference for footwear either.  The Supply Trade has way too many specialized areas (procurement, disposal, clothing, weapons etc etc).  Sup techs working in "Section X" would only be able to give you the refs for "Section X" and would have invalid insight into areas of other Sections' operations.  The rules just change too often. 

BUT, the PDF file is also able to be searched quite easily - to find the now-valid boot ref I simply went "Cntrl + F", and typed in "Footwear" into the search bar, then clicked "next" until it brought me to the applicable topic. 

In my ref in this thread (I found it by doing the above), I even gave the Section and beginning para.  If I want to know about LPO procedures, I go talk to the Cpl who currently works LPO as they are the SMEs and know their refs. 

I'd argue that any soldier should know where to look for the refs to clothing --- as their kit is signed for by them and is theirs.  They should care, but apparently they do not until there is a problem.  Call it a tick in the box under:  Problem Solving, Resource management, Initiative, Working with Others, Administration, Professional Development etc etc etc.

You can be sure that when I have an issue with claims, I am looking up the applicable regulations even though I am not a Clerk ... and I'm sure many of those who can't seem to find the SAM have also done so without hesitation.

Spectrum said:

THIS is one of the things MOST wrong with the CAF today - laziness. And what does result? This. I don't wanna do the work so it's someone else's fault.

I once attempted to back a discussion at the front counter with a SAM reference and the MWO on the other side (Artillery) said to me "Son, there are three people I answer to - my CO, my mother and my God. Your book is NOT my concern..." Like really?

Spectrum said:
Even when you shove the reference in their face, they don't believe it or interpret it wrong, have to ask the WO/MWO/CWO for guidance.

The chain of command only likes policies when it supports the way they think it should be.

I'd buy that for a dollar!

It been getting a lot worse the past few years too, and those in 'authority positions' who screw up seem rarely to be held to account.

Just another one of those 'little big things' in the CAF that are slipping more and more all the time...

Eye In The Sky said:
I'd buy that for a dollar!

It been getting a lot worse the past few years too, and those in 'authority positions' who screw up seem rarely to be held to account.

Just another one of those 'little big things' in the CAF that are slipping more and more all the time...

Don't be too harsh with the changes in the CAF, as these changes are society wide.  :nod:

I don't care about society though.  We are the CAF.  If you can't do the job you have according to the rules and regs, you should be held accountable.

Maybe someone can point me the right direction here to the applicable document, I checked the dress manual and couldn't find anything but I keep hearing the back and forth of combats being shown, or that they have to be just blackened.

This is from the dress regs:

a. Shoes leather, oxfords, pumps, and boots
ankle shall be clean and shone at all times.

b. Footwear shall be laced as shown in
Figure 2-2-6.

c. Overshoes, high, boots, cold weather
(women’s), or black toe rubbers (optional)
may be worn as required and kept clean.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back