• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Banking and Financial health [merged]

Only works with the fol type of phones:

BlackBerry Q10, BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Bold 9900, Samsung Galaxy Note II, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4 or Samsung Galaxy S III with Near Field Communication (NFC).

And the fol types of credit cards:

CIBC Aerogold® Visa Infinite™ Card
CIBC Aerogold® Visa™ Card for Business
CIBC Aerogold® Visa™Card
CIBC Aero Classic Visa™ Card
CIBC Aventura® World and World Elite MasterCard™ Cards
CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* Card
CIBC Aventura® Visa™ Card for Business
CIBC Aventura® Gold Visa™ Card
CIBC Aventura® MasterCard® Card
CIBC bizline® Visa™ Card
CIBC Classic Visa™ Card
CIBC Classic Visa ™Card for Students
CIBC Dividend Unlimited™ World and World Elite MasterCard™ Cards
CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite™ Card
CIBC Dividend Platinum® card
CIBC Dividend Card®
CIBC Platinum Visa™ card
CIBC PETRO-POINTS™ MasterCard® Card
CIBC Select Visa™ Card

Perfect, I have an S3 and was looking to get a new CC that gave me travel point options so my damn roller derby trips cost less...

NFLD Sapper said:

BlackBerry Q10, BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Bold 9900, Samsung Galaxy Note II, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4 or Samsung Galaxy S III with Near Field Communication (NFC).

And the fol types of credit cards:

CIBC Aerogold® Visa Infinite™ Card
CIBC Aerogold® Visa™ Card for Business
CIBC Aerogold® Visa™Card
CIBC Aero Classic Visa™ Card
CIBC Aventura® World and World Elite MasterCard™ Cards
CIBC Aventura® Visa Infinite* Card
CIBC Aventura® Visa™ Card for Business
CIBC Aventura® Gold Visa™ Card
CIBC Aventura® MasterCard® Card
CIBC bizline® Visa™ Card
CIBC Classic Visa™ Card
CIBC Classic Visa ™Card for Students
CIBC Dividend Unlimited™ World and World Elite MasterCard™ Cards
CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite™ Card
CIBC Dividend Platinum® card
CIBC Dividend Card®
CIBC Platinum Visa™ card
CIBC PETRO-POINTS™ MasterCard® Card
CIBC Select Visa™ Card

I'm with CIBC right now and from what I've learned from them is that you can snap a picture of your cheque using their terrible software (might take a 30 or 40 tries, but it'll work) and it'll go straight into your account. I also have one of those VISA debit cards. Simple debit card, but can be used world wide or online as a credit card when needed. Obviously you can't go below $0, it uses your bank balance.

If you happen to be out of province or overseas, roaming charges may apply. Talk to your provider for more information regarding roaming charges.

There is no BMO branch in Cold Lake. The nearest one is in Lloydminster 160 kms away. We have the other big 4 though. I personally have yet to find better than TD in terms of available branches, machines, and hours. BMO shut their kiosk in the MFRC after a year to due lack of demand. If I recall it was only open a few days a week and there was no BMO ATM installed. Despite their claim as the CF's bank, I could not find any service with them that I could not already access through on-line banking or in-branch visits to any other major bank. Still having my main branch in a different province altogether, the only reason I use a teller lately is to get US dollars.

i use a teller whenever possible,....I like to keep people employed.  Same as those self-serve lanes in the grocery store......no thanks.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Same as those self-serve lanes in the grocery store......no thanks.

I think of them like this:

ktq0oLQ.jpg

:nod:

I will second President's Choice Financial.

No fees. Free cheques. They're not really a great bank for investments but I have had zero issues with them for years (vice my headaches with CIBC and TD).

Plus you earn PC Points will all your transactions and transfers etc. Who doesn't like free groceries?

NFLD Sapper said:
You do know that CIBC runs PC right?

I do however it seems, PC more so just piggybacks on their ATM service. CIBC branch tellers won't serve you of you're a PC customer (won't or can't, probably both).

But surprisingly, I still have had fewer problems with PC despite their relationship to CIBC. When I was with CIBC I was always having my cards flagged, accounts frozen, cheques withheld.

RedcapCrusader said:
I do however it seems, PC more so just piggybacks on their ATM service. CIBC branch tellers won't serve you of you're a PC customer (won't or can't, probably both).

But surprisingly, I still have had fewer problems with PC despite their relationship to CIBC. When I was with CIBC I was always having my cards flagged, accounts frozen, cheques withheld.

As I said earlier, CIBC tellers were the ones who served me when my PC banking/house purchase/payment involved me needing a bank draft.  No problems.  As I use my PC Mastercard for EVERYTHING I purchase, I have accumulated ~$500 that I have as a rainy day/gift fund. I enjoy that Superstore sells electronics and toys..

Bzzliteyr said:
As I said earlier, CIBC tellers were the ones who served me when my PC banking/house purchase/payment involved me needing a bank draft.  No problems.  As I use my PC Mastercard for EVERYTHING I purchase, I have accumulated ~$500 that I have as a rainy day/gift fund. I enjoy that Superstore sells electronics and toys..

Interesting... CIBC won't serve me because I'm not a real CUBC customer.

RedcapCrusader said:
Interesting... CIBC won't serve me because I'm not a real CUBC customer.

Oh, I'm sure the case would be the same if I went to the teller but I haven't needed a teller in the longest time.  What do you need a teller for? Also, some Superstores have "in branch" banking.

As others have alluded to, PC Financial customers can use CIBC machines, but that's where the relationship stops.  PC Financial uses CIBC's direct banking infrastructure, but they have absolutely no visibility between each other at the teller level and upwards.  As Buzzliteyr said, if you need a bank draft from PCF, you can choose between it being sent XpressPost to you, or picking it up at a CIBC branch (which is faster).  When I want to make a payment on my CIBC LOC, I have to write a check on my PCF chequing account, and do the scan and deposit thing with the CIBC mobile banking app - or make a personal visit to the CIBC branch to pay cash against the LOC.  Overall, we're super happy with PCF.  The few number of times we've had anything bad to say about them pales in comparison to my experiences with TD and RBC.

I've had good experiences with Scotia though I know some have not. I left Royal because they screwed me over.

With Scotia my RRSP has always made a good return for decent fees. And some of the credit cards give a good % of money back if you meet the income requirements to get it.

NFLD Sapper said:
You do know that CIBC runs PC right?

Oddly enough, Telus owns Koodo. I was a Telus customer for a long time but I was getting sick of it, especially since from what I could see Koodo had much better packages available, but they weren't one of the "big 3." After considering Koodo for so long and getting frustrated with Telus, I almost said "f**k it, I'm switching to Koodo," but just decided to hang up and go switch to Koodo without the drama. Good thing, as I'd have been pretty embarrassed when the person said "fine, we own Koodo anyway."

Anywho, I've found Telus and Koodo to be completing different companies despite Telus being Koodo's daddy.

NFLD Sapper said:

It works with iPhone for eDeposit as well.

Journeyman said:
Any one but the blood bank.

Funny enough, since they have introduced remote banking with bank cards, banking machines and  internet banking, I think I have actually attended the blood bank more often than the financial ones ???

I've been using RBC my entire life.  Not really brand loyal - they do their job to my satisfaction.

They also have RBC USA - basically allowing me to instantly have the same credit that I had in Canada down in the US.  Credit Cards, mortgage, etc - all easily accessible and not a small $500 credit limit like every other bank down here.  Their online site has both USA and Canada accounts accessible - transfers from North to South can be made as easily as transferring from one account to another (albeit you pay the same ridiculous rates that your CC would charge you).

I have been with Scotia for a while, and now that my current job allows me more travel opportunities it's pretty sweet, since they have agreements with several banks around the world to waive ATM fees when you withdrawn money from them (Bank of America, Westpac, several others).  Also I like going to the movies ALOT (at least when I am home).

Back