• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadet long service medal

Black Watch

Inactive
Reaction score
Situation:
I have been air cadet from feb.96 to sept.99 and Army cadet from sept. 99 to dec. 2002.

Question:

Do I qualify for any Cadet long service medal?

Simple answer: Yes

I'm almost sure service time with other cadets count.

elim

You qualify for at least the Army Cadet Service Medal, possibly the Air cadet one too.

You would qualify for the Army Cadet long service medal as that was the uniform you were wearing when you crossed the threshold.  The CATOs indicate that you can only be awarded one Long service medal from any of the three elements, and subsequent bars. 

I did 3 and a half years on each, and the CATO says that I must do 4 years in either service, witch I don't have :-\

The rules being applied currently account for service in any other cadet organization prior to your 4th year.  Since when you hit your 4th year of service you were in the army uniform, you would apply for the Army Cadet Service medal, and your time in the air side will count toward your Service medal.  I had this issue with a couple cadets last year who had been in either Sea or Air cadets prior to joining on the army side.

yes. before we had it on the Air side, i knew someone who actually transferred to army just to get the blasted thing....

Any former cadet may apply for the medal from their respective element.  You will just have to get the CO of your old unit to complete the paperwork as they must verify the time spent in the CCM. 

Former members will have to pay a fee for their medal.  $10.00 I believe.  Correct me please if I'm wrong.  Any former member may apply.  The Army Cadet Service Medal was originally five years.  It has since been lowered to four with a clasp for every subsequent year.

:cdn: Cheers!!!  :cdn:

the army guy  :warstory:

Okay... my problem is this. My old CO is no longer around. He's gone and no info on his where abouts. So... no file for me either... what to do?

Just e-mail/phone your local League;

contact info at www.armycadetleague.ca

We had someone apply thorugh our unit from 196X, the League just took their word.

MedTech said:
Okay... my problem is this. My old CO is no longer around. He's gone and no info on his where abouts. So... no file for me either... what to do?

OK first, as long as your unit is still around there should be a file on record. (Under 5 years ago as a cadet)  Second the new CO can fill it out.  Third if you contact the league directly they will most likely provide you with the medal.  At the very most you will have to pay the $10.00 fee.

Good luck and I hope you let us know how it went.

Cheers!!!  :cdn:

well I found my old DCO ( I've been outta Cadets for a LONG time now ) whose commanding a new squadron. Long story short, he'll order the medal for me :D weee!!! I long last get my medal... which I cant wear... lol. Cheers to all who helped providing the info! :)

The Army Guy said:
Former members will have to pay a fee for their medal.  $10.00 I believe.  Correct me please if I'm wrong.  Any former member may apply.  The Army Cadet Service Medal was originally five years.  It has since been lowered to four with a clasp for every subsequent year.

:cdn: Cheers!!!  :cdn:

Yes, it's $10.00

When did this Cadet medal start?  I was an Army cadet until 1996 and had never heard of such a thing until now.  The only ones we had that were regularly awarded were the Lord Strathcona Medal (lost mine years ago :crybaby:), and the Legion Medal of Excellence.

What does the medal look like? I left the army cadets in 2002 and we didnt have that medal then. If someone could post a link that would be great.

JR

here's the Army Cadet LSM:
http://www.armycadetleague.ca/Templates/aclsme.htm

And here's the Air Cadet LSM:
http://www.aircadetleague.com/News/press_release_110605_e.html

Back