• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadet long service medal

I see, thanks.

From what I could find ther was only a computer enhanced view, and aother poor view of the real deal. I would like to see one court mounted on here. So anyone with a court mounted job done, please post it on here.

Thanks.

The picture is the Army Cadet Service Medal.  There is also one for the Sea and Air Cadets.

You can see an Army Cadet Service Medal, mounted with the Royal Canadian Legion Medal of Excellence Medal here:

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/rwgill/IMG_2134.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l109/rwgill/IMG_2135.jpg

Hmmm. Interesting.

Today I received a visit to my office at work ... requesting that I wear my DEU1As on 30 May ... and attend a parade where I will be presented my Army Cadet Long Service Medal.

???

ArmyVern said:
Hmmm. Interesting.
Today I received a visit to my office at work ... requesting that I wear my DEU1As on 30 May ... and attend a parade where I will be presented my Army Cadet Long Service Medal.
???
Congratulations!  Wear it with pride on the occasion of presentation and keep it as a memento of the fun you had.

GerryF said:
You wear it on your blue blazer?  Hmmm.
I just received mine.  I will be going to a memorial this summer at Valcartier and I wanted to bring it with me.  Do you think I could get away with wearing it, or just the bar on my suit?
I was going to suggest to the others going to the memorial that they try and apply for theirs and we could all wear them.

Why not. I have never been told to remove it.

bwatch said:
Why not. I have never been told to remove it.

Legion dress regulations don't authorize its wear. They authorize the wearing of service orders, decorations and medals and of Legion medals. The only cadet medal they authorize is the RCL Medal of Excellence, as it is awarded by the RCL.

http://www.legion.ca/_PDF/Manuals/RitualandInsignia2011_e.pdf printed version pages 4-10 (PDF pages 9-12)

Also, your reply is to a post from 2008 and the poster has not logged into the site since 4 Aug 2009.

It's not a Legion Blazer. It's my Black Watch Blazer and the Association doesn't seem to mind.

Carcharodon Carcharias said:
I see, thanks.

From what I could find ther was only a computer enhanced view, and aother poor view of the real deal. I would like to see one court mounted on here. So anyone with a court mounted job done, please post it on here.

Thanks.
This one is mine, court mounted.
lsm.jpg

GerryF said:
Thanks for the note.
I had a look at the Legion site and surprisingly, if you have served as a cadet for not less than three years, you can join as an associate member.
This is a dilemma for most ex cadet that wish to join.  By the time you are ready to join, you will have been away from Cadets for a number of years.  I found out recently, when applying for the Army Cadet Service Medal, that I have to substantiate my service with my corps.  After five years, the corps destroys your records as a matter of course and you become invisible to them if the CO changes.  You can imagine tht after 34 years, I was like a ghost.  I don't think the current CO is even 34 yet.  Anyway, I had boxes of bits and pieces of my cadet life (six years of it) in the basement and went on a proof-of-service safari.  A few certificates, photos, mess cards and a sereration slip from Valcartier were enough for them to award me the medal.  I will check with the Legion as to their document requirements.

Worse case you join as an Affiliate Member, no big difference and should you wish you could move up as it were to the executive if you wanted to.  Trust me most branches are hurting and mine would kill for some ex cadets  as oposed tot he "I'm here for th cheap beer brigade. " It would depend on the Branch as to what is being accepted as proof of service, there are guidleines but I've noted as in all things thay are open to interpretation.

After reading this maybe I should go and order my cadet bling too. It will look nice in the sock drwer beside my other bling. 8)

GerryF said:
Thanks for the note.
I had a look at the Legion site and surprisingly, if you have served as a cadet for not less than three years, you can join as an associate member.
This is a dilemma for most ex cadet that wish to join.  By the time you are ready to join, you will have been away from Cadets for a number of years.  I found out recently, when applying for the Army Cadet Service Medal, that I have to substantiate my service with my corps.  After five years, the corps destroys your records as a matter of course and you become invisible to them if the CO changes.  You can imagine tht after 34 years, I was like a ghost.  I don't think the current CO is even 34 yet.  Anyway, I had boxes of bits and pieces of my cadet life (six years of it) in the basement and went on a proof-of-service safari.  A few certificates, photos, mess cards and a sereration slip from Valcartier were enough for them to award me the medal.  I will check with the Legion as to their document requirements.
This is why you should take your file with you when you retire.

I should have taken my file had I known I could. They had a flood in our Cadet Office, I think it was a sprinkler head. Anyway, my file was all washed up. Most of the guys that where in the Cadets the same time as I was, went into the Battalion so they where able to vouch and so was the Cadet CO.

Rheostatic said:
This is why you should take your file with you when you retire.

The practice changes from time to time and this isn't always possible, but even when the unit has been required to retain the file for N years it has been acceptable to give releasing cadets a copy of the contents.  I'd suggest that any cadet ask for that, as a minimum.

Any cadets who served any time after about 2005 will have a record in Fortress (the cadet programme's database system) so for those cadets it will be possible to verify former service much more easily.

Back