• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadet long service medal

Just curious, I see there's one for the Army & Air cadets, but is there one for the Sea cadets as well? Seems kinda odd that the Army & Air cadets would have one and the senior branch wouldn't...........

Regards

Yes the Sea cadets also have their own service medal.  The whole service medal issue is being discussed quite actively on CadetNet as much as it has been here.

I have a Cadet Service Medal and I put it on my Blue Blazer. I'm with the Black Watch Assocation, Pacific Branch in Vancouver.

You wear it on your blue blazer?  Hmmm.
I just received mine.  I will be going to a memorial this summer at Valcartier and I wanted to bring it with me.  Do you think I could get away with wearing it, or just the bar on my suit?
I was going to suggest to the others going to the memorial that they try and apply for theirs and we could all wear them.

GerryF said:
You wear it on your blue blazer?  Hmmm.
I just received mine.  I will be going to a memorial this summer at Valcartier and I wanted to bring it with me.  Do you think I could get away with wearing it, or just the bar on my suit?
I was going to suggest to the others going to the memorial that they try and apply for theirs and we could all wear them.

There's nothing to stop a person wearing a cadet medal with civilian clothes, except that since it's not part of the Canadian Honours system it shouldn't be worn with medals that are.

Undress ribbons are not normally worn with civilian clothing -- just the full medal with ribbon, or sometimes the miniature.  It's commonly done with blazers but I don't think I've ever seen medals worn with a suit.

If you are a member of a Regimental Association or a member of the Legon and on Parade, you can put your medels on the Blazer.

GerryF said:
Neil!
Thanks for the help.
Cheers!
Gerry

VanGary!
Thanks.
I am not a member of the Legion, never having served in the regs.
So, I guess I am out of luck.

I would get a letter from all of the Cadet Units you where with and ask them to put down how much time you served on each letter. Then submit them to Capt. Knowlton.  Tell him that Kinsley said hello. :salute: ;D

Black Watch said:
so you mean I could still apply for it?

The Legon also has ex Reserve Force Members as well, you don't need Reg Force Service. As long as you have been in the Forces, Reg's or Reserve, you still can join the Legon.

GerryF said:
VanGary!
Thanks.
I am not a member of the Legion, never having served in the regs.
So, I guess I am out of luck.

Gary!
The closest I ever got was as an Ex Cadet NCO at Valcartier, although that was eventful.
If I can't wear it, so be it.
I may have another idea that could be worth exploring.
Thanks, by the way, for the forum thread on the BW site. It has facilitated a bunch of us to get back together after 35 years.  Some of us will be going to the memorial at Valcartier this summer, and more for the 35th anniversary next summer.  The forum has prompted us to seek each other out and reconnect.  It is because of you that this has occurred.  I think I can say thank you from all of us.

My good Friend, you are so very welcome but I think the big thank you goes to Capt. Andy Kerr, the Black Watch Web Master who built the site. 

So I understand that the old haunt we use to go to after Parade nights is no longer, it was Bens. In all my life, I never thought that place would ever close. Another part of Montreal History is gone and same for Eatons.

I get back to Montreal every 5 to 6 years but this time I'm holding off till our 150 regimental anniversary which should be a packed house and the unit seems to be working hard at locating past members gone astray.

GerryF said:
Gary!
The closest I ever got was as an Ex Cadet NCO at Valcartier, although that was eventful.
If I can't wear it, so be it.
I may have another idea that could be worth exploring.
Thanks, by the way, for the forum thread on the BW site. It has facilitated a bunch of us to get back together after 35 years.  Some of us will be going to the memorial at Valcartier this summer, and more for the 35th anniversary next summer.  The forum has prompted us to seek each other out and reconnect.  It is because of you that this has occurred.  I think I can say thank you from all of us.

bwatch said:
If you are a member of a Regimental Association or a member of the Legon and on Parade, you can put your medels on the Blazer.

Just to clarify, you're talking about a Legion "uniform" blazer, right?

Neill McKay said:
Just to clarify, you're talking about a Legion "uniform" blazer, right?

Commonly called Blues & Greys (blue blazer & grey trousers). It is not a Legion uniform per se, but a common form of dress for the Legion and other military associations. There's nothing 'uniform' about the blazer. It's just a blue blazer.

bwatch said:
The Legon also has ex Reserve Force Members as well, you don't need Reg Force Service. As long as you have been in the Forces, Reg's or Reserve, you still can join the Legon.

You don't even have to have served. Generally, anyone can join. If you served you're an Ordinary Member, if not, you're an Associate

Thanks for the note.
I had a look at the Legion site and surprisingly, if you have served as a cadet for not less than three years, you can join as an associate member.
This is a dilemma for most ex cadet that wish to join.  By the time you are ready to join, you will have been away from Cadets for a number of years.  I found out recently, when applying for the Army Cadet Service Medal, that I have to substantiate my service with my corps.  After five years, the corps destroys your records as a matter of course and you become invisible to them if the CO changes.  You can imagine tht after 34 years, I was like a ghost.  I don't think the current CO is even 34 yet.  Anyway, I had boxes of bits and pieces of my cadet life (six years of it) in the basement and went on a proof-of-service safari.  A few certificates, photos, mess cards and a sereration slip from Valcartier were enough for them to award me the medal.  I will check with the Legion as to their document requirements.

I was a cadet with 72 Seaforth Highlanders of Canada in the 70's. I introduced myself to the present CO at the Reg dinner for Vimy Ridge last week. he told me all i have to do is send him an email with the dates of my service +$10.00 and he would authorize the medal. No big deal and seeing as there is a big reunion in Oct  maybe i will wear it there.

Does anyone have a pic of their LSM court mounted etc? I would be interested in seeing a close up, both sides if thats possible. Its nice to see that such  recognition is available to those worthy of it.

Regards,

Wes

Wes,

Hopefully this will keep you satisfied until someone else posts a pic.  There is nothing on the back of the medal, except a place to have a name engraved.

Long%20Service%20Medal2.jpg

Back