• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C9 gunner needs rig!!!!!!!

matty101

Inactive
Reaction score
hey i was recently made a c9 gunner for TF 3-08.  i am having trouble working out what kind of rig would work best.  I'm hearing that we may need more boxes than what the TV will carry.  to me it seems most of the molle chest rigs out there would place the ammo a little high on the chest.  i would like something that would fit more like the old webbing.  But of course I'd prefer it to be molle so i can adjust the load and add my choice of pouches.  I spent some time looking for this and blackhawk was the closest i came, but i have zero love for them so I'm a little stuck.  any opinions about this would be greatly appreciated.  thanks in advance Matt

How about CP Gears MoFOCR C9/C6 rig here?

http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=557

We've sold quite a few of the C9/C6 MoFOCR kits, but as far as a review on it, I'm a bit bias, so I'll let others step up and offer their thoughts.

There are plenty of modular machine gunvests out there,you have to decide what yopu will carry,3boxesor more, where willyour IFAKgo, how willyou carry the spare barrel,what mission essentialkit is also required to be carries(NVGs, water, etc) there is no one good vest,as everyperson has a different need,body type and job.

MTH said:
hey i was recently made a c9 gunner for TF 3-08.  i am having trouble working out what kind of rig would work best.  I'm hearing that we may need more boxes than what the TV will carry.  to me it seems most of the molle chest rigs out there would place the ammo a little high on the chest.  i would like something that would fit more like the old webbing.  But of course I'd prefer it to be molle so i can adjust the load and add my choice of pouches.  I spent some time looking for this and blackhawk was the closest i came, but i have zero love for them so I'm a little stuck.  any opinions about this would be greatly appreciated.  thanks in advance Matt

Not to be ignorant here but do any of you guys at 3 RCR talk to each other?  In Petawawa alone you can get rigs and pouches from myself, John at WarriorGear, Jeff at Valley Guns and Ron at Full Spectrum.  Plus there is Darren at One Shot Tactical and Matt at CP gear.  There is loads of experience at the RCR in people like MG 34 as well as many others who have been over there and used alot of this kit.  I have seen a mixture of just about everything, rigs from one source, pouches from another, TV molled with pouches.  Of course there are the few who waste their money on Blackhawk but to each their own.

I think people like MG34 are your best resource for some suggestions and then contact a few people on what is available and pricing as there is a vast array of kit out there

The majority of C9 gunners in my platoon are using the CP Gear MOFOCR. The trouble with setting up a modular MG rig is a) capacity (our gunners are carrying 3 boxes on their rigs plus you need room for frags, IFAK, and some sort of utility pouch for other gear and NOD's),  and ride (most chest rig platforms, even modular platforms, are designed with rifles in mind. A C9 rig is much heavier and as a result needs to have a more stable suspension system and IMHO should be split front to ease donning and doffing). The MOFOCR is a great option because it gives you enough room to mount your pouches and still have PALS room above your boxes to mount frags and other smaller pouches. All of the gunners, incl my fire team partner used the rigs on Desert Ram/Maple Guardian and had no issues with comfort. For a C9 rig I would highly recommend this rig. If you need more info or have any specific questions just ask.

i know a place in edmonton calles dropzone tactical i bought some gear from there (before they outlawed it to cadets) they have a resonable price and as well you can put the frag/smoke in front of the pouch i have 2 c9 pouches from there and a 4 3mag pouches as well and if they break down you can send it back fully fixed a set might set you back 400-600$ there website is www.dropzonetactical.com

Cameron15 said:
i know a place in edmonton calles dropzone tactical i bought some gear from there (before they outlawed it to cadets) they have a resonable price and as well you can put the frag/smoke in front of the pouch i have 2 c9 pouches from there and a 4 3mag pouches as well and if they break down you can send it back fully fixed a set might set you back 400-600$ there website is www.dropzonetactical.com

Buds, not a mod and if I am out of line I apologize, but you are way out of your lane. A guy is asking about a piece of kit he is going to use on deployment in Afghanistan. The experience you have with this kit in cadets is not comparable to a persons needs using the rig in combat, im sorry but the two dont jive. To be honest it bothers me when this sort of thing happens. A guy is trying to get advice on spending his hard earned money on a rig that he is going to depend on, and inexperienced "users" respond with recommendations leading people astray.

I strongly dislike dropzone kit. It is overpriced and under built IMHO. Brian Kroon, the owner, has continually demonstrated that he is not all that concerned with listening to the end user and does not place a priority on the Canadian market. None of the rigs that Dropzone makes is particularly suited to carrying the load of an MG gunner. As stated earlier I would go with the MOFOCR, and baring that a simple MAV/ICE tactical 2 piece chest rig, but the MOFOCR is definitely the gold standard in MG rigs as far as I a concerned.

Cameron15: I realize that you are young, but please learn to use punctuation and capitals. It makes reading what you type easier and will garner you more respect.

MTH: Drop Zone has been highly recommended by many on this site, for both quality and service. I will happily add to that, as I've dropped $800.00 there in two trips this week with more to follow. Their rig is identical to the Tac Vest, but with Molle replacing the sewn-on pouches of the issued version. Their pouches come with nylon webbing straps with rather ingenious little plastic clips to attach them to your vest of choice. There is a healthy discount for military personnel.

MTH: Obviously, opinions vary. PhilB has has certainly established his credentials here where kit is concerned. Use of the Search Function for Drop Zone Tactical will turn up quite a few threads, which are well worth reading. I do not recall reading any other complaints.

CP Gear has been highly criticized in the past, too, but has also garnered much praise for their latest kit. I have recently ordered a fair amount from them, and am well satisfied with service and apparent quality.

My upcoming deployment will be considerably easier on both my kit and me than on many others and their kit, granted, but I am not given to buying substandard stuff of any sort and am, after 3.5 decades in the CF, a reasonable judge of quality I think.

PhilB said:
Buds, not a mod and if I am out of line I apologize, but you are way out of your lane. A guy is asking about a piece of kit he is going to use on deployment in Afghanistan. The experience you have with this kit in cadets is not comparable to a persons needs using the rig in combat, im sorry but the two dont jive. To be honest it bothers me when this sort of thing happens. A guy is trying to get advice on spending his hard earned money on a rig that he is going to depend on, and inexperienced "users" respond with recommendations leading people astray.

I strongly dislike dropzone kit. It is overpriced and under built IMHO. Brian Kroon, the owner, has continually demonstrated that he is not all that concerned with listening to the end user and does not place a priority on the Canadian market. None of the rigs that Dropzone makes is particularly suited to carrying the load of an MG gunner. As stated earlier I would go with the MOFOCR, and baring that a simple MAV/ICE tactical 2 piece chest rig, but the MOFOCR is definitely the gold standard in MG rigs as far as I a concerned.

DITTO - Brian invited me twice to his shop to discuss some gear and both times left prior the arranged meeting time... ::) 
  IMHO he should stick to making coats.

MTH,

Matt's MOFOCR and our MTV are similar. I would recommend both without hesitation :) if you are interested visit us at www.icetactical.com unfortunately you had just missed the 20% off sale from us. However, if you do decide to go with ICE stuff, give me a shout, and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

Derek.

Cameron,
I dont think you understood what I meant. You are way out of your lane. You are not in the military, be it reg or res, you do not have the training or experience to offer advice, particularly when the person seeking advice is going to be relying on his kit in combat. Maybe its just me, but please just stop posting about things that you do not know about.

IsraeliGuysSay.jpg

;)

If your looking for something more like the webbing, you might want to look into the Tactical Tailor MAV. You can rig it up to ride just like the old webbing, and looking at what some of the C9 gunners in my company have done, it will provide you with enough space for all you ammo / first aide kit. One thing though, if you are looking at the MAV, the X Harness is a must, the standard straps  criss cross over your back and can be a huge pain in the ass when you're trying to get in on and off. With the X Harness, which is basically just a yoke, you don't have that problem, and it distributes the weight much better.

PS: One thing about drop zone, their kit isn't in Molle, it's 1.5" gaps in webbing as opposed to the standard 1" gaps. I know a couple of people who've have problems trying to get pouches from other manufacturers to fit on their Drop Zone kit.

Thank you all very much for ur advice.  it will make my choice easier in th end.

Riggermade don't worry we all know about the local dealers, i'm just trying to cover all the bases before i putthe money on the table.  thanks.  matt

No Problem and I understand the money thing.  It isn't only you guys, it's amazing the number of people who are still buying Blackhawk with all the Canadian made stuff out there.  Keeps us busy with repairs though

Riggermade,etc ,I have seen way too much of the Canadian made stuff fail as well,during TF 306 a certain local made rig was notable for failure due to poor stitching and material quality. My money goes to proven manufacturers (Blackhawk is NOT one of them) who have gained a reputation for the kit they make, be they Canadian or not.

MG34, I agree there is proven kit out there and doesn't matter who they buy from as long as it works for them.  My main point was to emphasize that there is alot of experience for these guys to draw from here in Pet and they should be utilizing it.  I do not make rigs myself but do alot of other stuff, obviousely my expertise is not in the use of the gear but I have seen alot of rigs come to me for repairs and there are definately certain manufacturers that need more work than others.  I mentioned you in my first post because of the experience you do possess to guide these young guys. 

Back