• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

c8

E

ender

I heard we‘re supposed to have the C8 carbine instead of the C7.
Do you think that‘s ever going to happen?

The C8 is for vehicle crews. The C7 is the weapon of the Field Engineer. Don‘t forget it is also our role to fight as infantry, so we don‘t want to be short changing ourselves on the personal weapons side of things.

I am aware that the C8 was intended for vehicle crews, (and that engineers are manifestly not vehicle crews)

the local weapons guy at our unit (who usually goes to CFSAC) was saying that the c8 was supposed to be better because you can put it over your shoulder and build a bridge.

I personally would rather stick with the c7, but if we did go with the c8, would it compromize our infantry skills?

to oversimplify the situation: the range to which the rifle is accurate is related to barrel length. As the barrel gets longer the range increases up to a certain point and then it begins to decrease. We will ignore the math except to say that the relationship is not linear.

When designing rifles the barrel length is optimised in favour of maximum range, while for a caribine range is sacrificed for compactness. You can look up more on the C7/M16 and the C8/M4 at:

Evolution of the AR-15

The Engineer section is armed very much like an Infantry section. When we have two C9 LMG‘s does it make sense to worry about how compact the rifle is?

you‘re probably right. (not to mention the c6)
Then again, the army is not know for being logical.

Understand the implications of carrying C8 over C7 while doing your job.

The artiilery are in the same boat and I think we should have C8s as our pesonnal weapon. If we have to fight ther infantry battle at the gun position they are already too close and range isn‘t the issue anymore :D

PS don‘t anyone take this post too seriously, I was just bored and needed to write something.

it‘s not quite the same thing as with engineers though. Our secondary role is as infantry, where as artillery only fights as infantry as a last resort...

You engineers also are working infront of the infantry a lot. We can‘t get tanks and apc‘s through an obstacle you haven‘t cleared. I have also noticed that you typically carry all the Pl weapons that are carried by the infantry (except maybe the Eryx, I think you still use the Carl G).

:cool: Yard Ape

Thanks Yard Ape. (first in last out)

Since I don‘t know what an Eyrx is I don‘t think we use it (at least the reserves). What is an Eyrx?

We do use the Carl G though.

Well here I go, I belive that engineers should stay with the C7. Yes it is a pain no matter what task we do. As for weapons, engineer troops are set up the same way as an engineer Plt, that is why we have the same weapon compliment less motar and eryx. If you are looking for some thing that is small and compact, you might as well just give us pistols.

A good bullpup rifle could replace both the C7 and the C8 for the entire CF. The SA 80 would not be such a rifle. :D

:cool: Yard Ape

I think we should issue weapons based on individual tasks, not on trade or unit. For example, the C8 could be issued to recce elements in all arms, since patrolmen should avoid contact and use weapons as self defence. I used the C8 on ops, while i was a section commander in a recce platoon, and it was the weapon of choice for the tasks we had to carry out. :cdn:

Originally posted by Jungle:
[qb]I think we should issue weapons based on individual tasks, not on trade or unit. [/qb]

I thought that was how we did it. Howelse did you get issued the C8 while in Recce?

:cdn: Yard Ape

A reg force Field Section carries 7 x C-7‘s, 1 x C-9, 2 x M203 (very shortly, if not already) and a .50 Cal (on the track). Beaver(AVLB), Badger(AEV) Crews and Combat Divers (when employed in that role) are the sole users of the C-8 in an Engr Regt and that will not change. There is also 1 x Carl G and 1 x C-6 carried at the Troop Level for dismounted operations without infantry protection.

Yard Ape, what i mean is that typically, the members of the armour corps get the C8. There are infantry tasks where pers could use the C8, but none are issued to infantry units. The only reason recce PL used it in operation TOUCAN is because the Pl staff requested the C8, and got them after battling the issue up to brigade level. The C8‘s came from the Armoured Regt. Now what is the difference between a leopard driver and a LAV-3 driver ? why does one get the C8 and not the other ? This is what I meant when I said it should be issued depending on individual task, not on MOC. The C8, after modifications to fix the extraction/ejection problem, is a good weapon, as are all the C7 variants, and it could be used effectively in a number of roles in the Army.

Back