• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C7A2

Which weapon do you prefer?

• C7A1

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • C7A2

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • C8

Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dissident said:
2 out of 270

I saw one other have the same problem on a different day with the same batch of ammo. That day was much colder (-20C at best) and I will not vouch for his weapon cleaning skills. He showed us the round that showed the same problem as mine.

Other might have experienced the same problem, but rounds/casing fell in the snow. No one else repoted anything.

so.... 3 outa 540?  0.5%  not perfect but, not bad.  Remember the story of the Brits with their 50 cal ammo?

I heard something about .50 cal brit ammo (saw a clip on the news) but I never saw details. Link?

But as contrast, I never had stoppages like those with my C7A1. Thats why it came as a shock.

Dissident said:
It was cold, but not nearly cold enough to even pretend that was a factor. (-10C at worst)

And no, my weapon was not dirty. That is kind of insulting, but I can understand where it comes from.

Talk about insulting.  Where does "it come from" is just as insulting.

Like I asked.  It could have been a dirty weapon, and perhaps your weapon cleaning skills are up to snuff, as we all know there is always dirt or carbon to be found in a weapon.  I have inspected enough to know that.  Besides, did you do your 'cleaning before firing' or just take them off the rack?

More likely though it could have been the lubricant that you may have used to oil you weapons before firing.  It could have 'gummed' up. 

There are many possibilities as to what may have been the cause.

Dissident said:
I heard something about .50 cal brit ammo (saw a clip on the news) but I never saw details. Link?

But as contrast, I never had stoppages like those with my C7A1. Thats why it came as a shock.

Note that we were not going thru as much ammo before KAF and as such were not making huge demands on our supplier - formerly CAL / Lavalin... a company that also makes ammo for the US military.  With the sudden surge in demand, their Mfg uality control might have let a couple thru.  As I6 pointed out, he too has seen some crimping problems.

I think it is somewhat asinine to only shoot a weapon once, and then attempt to brand thousands of rifles based on your limited experience with one. Not that there arent better system out there, but I used my C7a2 in theater for 9 months with no issues.

Maybe your issues were related to your rifle in particular, the ammo you had, or some sort of user error. That being said if you never had a stoppage on the C7a1 you have clearly not shot it that much.

It is not that I never had stoppages with the the A1, I just never had that kind before.

Bullet setback is typical caused by a multiple of issues -- 1) improper crimp on the bullet cannelure (manufacturing issue)
2) bullet impact with magazine or barrel extention during the chambering phase - this can be corrected by a) new magazine b) M4 feedramps

As in most things you can get by with a defect in one or two areas -- but when they are compilied all at the same time that is when you have stoppages.

HitorMiss said:
Some Weapons tech's on my roto had available the old cocking handle at request, but in Bn everyone had the Snag-omatic

I know this is a somewhat late reply and maybe not very well informed since I am only a recent BMQ grad, but any A2 cocking handles that were broken during training on our course were replaced by the old style handle by the weapon's techs.  I had mine replaced, it just came apart during wepaons training one day, and I know of several guys that purposely broke the cocking handles on their weapons to have them replaced.

As fars as drill goes.... Obviously the A1 is much better balanced and suited for drill.

DirtyDog said:
As fars as drill goes.... Obviously the A1 is much better balanced and suited for drill.

Cause that is what we look for in a rifle......;)

That evil "d" word (drill) appears over a dozen times in this thread... I have to agree with MJP, drill is a secondary, no not even it more along the lines of a tertiary concern when it comes to a rifle... this is a Weapons and Ammo thread... not a "my life is over because the C7A2 doesnt look as pretty for drill" thread...

Rant ends, questions in one minute!

the cocking handle is total junk, i've chambered a round by un-slinging my weapon because that wide peice of crap snagged onto my piece of crap vest, but i wont get into the tac vest issue here...

From my limited viewpoint, I know if I was stuck with that POS handle, I'd either ask permission through the CoC to purchase and use my own cocking handle, or I'd break the current one I had and see what I got for a replacement.

The A2's we had in BMQ weren't all that beat up and those cocking handles were falling apart all over the place.

I junked mine when I had it and put an aftermarket PRI GasBuster on -- its a littel beefier than the normal one and has a slightly larger latch -- but one that does not snag...

C8toSFW.jpg

Heh, I never realised that C8 to C8SFW pic I see everywhere was yours.

Someday when I make it through training and face deployment I'm going to have to ask you just how the hell can I buy bits of kit and mod the hell out of my weapon.  Is it even possible in a regular Regiment/Battalion?

DirtyDog said:
Someday when I make it through training and face deployment I'm going to have to ask you just how the hell can I buy bits of kit and mod the hell out of my weapon.  Is it even possible in a regular Regiment/Battalion?

Domestically? I would venture that you have no chance in hell.

In theater, it depends who you work for.

In my trade, as long as you keep things color coordinated, most people won't notice the difference. those that do notice a difference are probably trying to get away with as much as you are.

I'm adding things as I go along, waiting for someone to tell me to take it off. I'm canibalizing my poor rifle from home, the girlfriend isnt too happy about that, since she cant shoot it anymore... (Thank you Morpheus)

Dissident said:
Domestically? I would venture that you have no chance in hell.

In theater, it depends who you work for.

In my trade, as long as you keep things color coordinated, most people won't notice the difference. those that do notice a difference are probably trying to get away with as much as you are.

I'm adding things as I go along, waiting for someone to tell me to take it off. I'm canibalizing my poor rifle from home, the girlfriend isnt too happy about that, since she cant shoot it anymore... (Thank you Morpheus)

Maybe this isn't the appropiate thread or place to ask this, but how do I go about buying bits of C7 (AR) kit?

What liscenses do i need to buy an upper receiver?

I have a PAL but I thought the AR15 was prohibited?

I assume stuff like an ACOG, aftermarket front handguards, and a vertical front handgrip are easily obtained provided you have the money?

I know getting WAY ahead of myself, but if/wehn I ever see deployment I would definitely like to go carbine with optics other then the Elcan.  I'm just curious as what is possible.  Food for thought more then anything.

We were issued the C7-A2 and there were many problems with them.  Magazines were falling off, stoppages, stoppages, stoppages, safety's falling off etc.  Bonus features seems more of a balanced weapon, folding stock accomodates different shooting positions.  And yes it looks fancy...

V

V said:
  We were issued the C7-A2 and there were many problems with them.  Magazines were falling off, stoppages, stoppages, stoppages, safety's falling off etc.  Bonus features seems more of a balanced weapon, folding stock accomodates different shooting positions.   And yes it looks fancy...

V

Maybe bad batch of ammo? and not the weapon.

Back