• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

I mean, for tradition's sake, for saluting we should provide units with cracked four pounders (to make an awful din).

EQ53XPDWkAE_nbt.jpg

I mean, for tradition's sake, for saluting we should provide units with cracked four pounders (to make an awful din).
Well here is a way forward for saluting batteries given the current state of our guns and the amount GAF there is to replace them. Plus it's already a Canadian tradition.

So all this talk of extended range 155mm. It seems to me that to get both the range and the guidance, your giving up a fair portion of the terminal effect. Doesn't it make sense to step up those ultra long range guns to 175mm, so you still get good terminal effect and likely an accuracy bonus from the heavier shell. The M107 175mm got 40km without the more modern rocket assisted artillery shell. The 8" M110 got 25km and 30 with RAP. Use the Paladin chassis and other improvements, including more automated ammunition handling. Thoughts?

M107-latrun-1.jpg

Well here is a way forward for saluting batteries given the current state of our guns and the amount GAF there is to replace them. Plus it's already a Canadian tradition.
If my history is correct, this was started by Royal Engineers constructing New Westminster, the new capital of the Colony of British Columbia. They wanted to salute the Queen on her birthday but they didn’t have any cannons.

So all this talk of extended range 155mm. It seems to me that to get both the range and the guidance, your giving up a fair portion of the terminal effect. Doesn't it make sense to step up those ultra long range guns to 175mm, so you still get good terminal effect and likely an accuracy bonus from the heavier shell. The M107 175mm got 40km without the more modern rocket assisted artillery shell. The 8" M110 got 25km and 30 with RAP. Use the Paladin chassis and other improvements, including more automated ammunition handling. Thoughts?

M107-latrun-1.jpg
As a dumb weather guy that humped ammo on a gun position a few years ago, my thoughts are that anything beyond 155mm is getting too large to handle.

Obviously larger rounds can be handled, but once you go beyond about 100-120lbs you're hitting the point that you will need a mechanical loader for sustained fire.

Reactions: ueo
As a dumb weather guy that humped ammo on a gun position a few years ago, my thoughts are that anything beyond 155mm is getting too large to handle.

Obviously larger rounds can be handled, but once you go beyond about 100-120lbs you're hitting the point that you will need a mechanical loader for sustained fire.
With guided rounds I don't see the need for much sustained fire. You won't be plinking tanks with these. More like ammo drops, large command posts, repair shops, comms stations. Artillery and missile systems

With guided rounds I don't see the need for much sustained fire. You won't be plinking tanks with these. More like ammo drops, large command posts, repair shops, comms stations. Artillery and missile systems
My thoughts are that a HIMARS, or similar system is better suited to that task. To my simple mind, the advantage of guns is the ability to put rounds on baddies for a reasonable cost.

M107-latrun-1.jpg
Would need to be bigger than Paladin chassis for an enclosed turret.
Having climbed on a M110A2 - it’s an absolute beast, but a Dinosaur.

There are drills for that which essentially means doubling up the men. See here for example.

loading m110 howitzer - Google Search

loading m110 howitzer - Google Search

That said, is it really worth the extra sustainment complication. They did have a neat little nuclear round for the 8".

🍻

Looking at Wiki I think the numbers are incorrect, the length of the RAP projectile increases slightly, the rockets adds 13Kg to the shell, but they claim the explosive filler amount is the same as the standard shell and both weigh roughly the same. So unless the steel body of the shell is significantly thinner, I don't see how that happens?

M107 projectile - Wikipedia

M549 - Wikipedia

Back