• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

daftandbarmy said:
So.... MLRS then?

Or HIMARs. Sure. 

I just don't see LRPRS as a nice to have feature.  I would start with it as a central organizing principle of the defence.  A weapon of First Resort if you like.  Something that defines the template. 

And GLCMs like
The Ground Launched Cruise Missile, or GLCM, (officially designated BGM-109G Gryphon) was a ground-launched cruise missile developed by the United States Air Force in the last decade of the Cold War and destroyed under the INF Treaty.

300px-BGM-109G_Gryphon_-_ID_DF-ST-84-09185.JPEG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BGM-109G_Ground_Launched_Cruise_Missile

But without the nukes, with a faster engine and with UAV capabilities. 

Edit: 1 GLCM battery based at Rankin Inlet with a 2500 km range would give an all-weather surface to surface response capability across all of Canada's Domestic Area of Operations, including Arctic, Pacific and Atlantic EEZs.  Even with the Tomahawk like engines you are still looking at a 3 hour response time.  More than adequate for sea-going threats and airborne troops.

The more I think about this the more I find reasons to like it.

Historically it is in keeping with Canadian practice. 

The last thing the Brits abandoned and the first thing Canada hired were Artillery Batteries (A and B at Kingston and Quebec) that controlled our approaches.  If you add in the historical significance of St John's and Louisbourg, Halifax and Esquimalt as sally ports for controlling the approaches ....

The new ATACM replacements, the PrSMs are anticipated to have ranges of up to 750 km (IRNF is ignored by just about everyone these days).  HIMARS with PrSMs on Signal Hill in St John's and the Citadel in Halifax would cover areas that GLCMs on Hudson Bay couldn't reach (Churchill is actually a better fit than Rankin for a 2500 km missile).

I've been following PrSM with some interest (it looks like the Lockheed missile will be it) and I think HIMARS ability to launch something like that as well as GMLRS would make sense as a tool in the toolbox in everything from the peer fight on down to Iraq/Afghanistan type deployments. Not to replace our guns, but to complement them as others have suggested.

Combined with GBAD, new fighters, new frigates, and modern ISR capabilities, you'd have a useful contribution to NATO or even to our own defence at home as you suggest. One simply has to see the challenges that adversaries now pose to powerful forces like the USN, to see the potential. With that said, I doubt taxpayers or politicians have much interest in providing these capabilities going forward. However, it certainly makes for an interesting discussion.

Chris Pook said:
The more I think about this the more I find reasons to like it.

Historically it is in keeping with Canadian practice. 

The last thing the Brits abandoned and the first thing Canada hired were Artillery Batteries (A and B at Kingston and Quebec) that controlled our approaches.  If you add in the historical significance of St John's and Louisbourg, Halifax and Esquimalt as sally ports for controlling the approaches ....

The new ATACM replacements, the PrSMs are anticipated to have ranges of up to 750 km (IRNF is ignored by just about everyone these days).  HIMARS with PrSMs on Signal Hill in St John's and the Citadel in Halifax would cover areas that GLCMs on Hudson Bay couldn't reach (Churchill is actually a better fit than Rankin for a 2500 km missile).

On the West Coast, a missile based on Langera island has a clear shot, halfway to Hawaii and covers half the Aleutians. Another one based near Winter harbour on Vancouver Island gives you good overlap and better southern coverage. 

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 43
HIMARS can be airlifted, so it’s flexible. Let the tactical situation dictate. Keep potential adversaries guessing, and probably more politically acceptable than permanently stationing an operational battery on Canadian soil. But it leaves the ability to do so if ever needed, and still contribute to a forward deployment somewhere in the world.

Colin P said:
On the West Coast, a missile based on Langera island has a clear shot, halfway to Hawaii and covers half the Aleutians. Another one based near Winter harbour on Vancouver Island gives you good overlap and better southern coverage.

I'm no Gunner, but I think this officially takes this thread out of the range of any equivalent replacement for the C3 Howitzer :)

Colin P said:

I think I'd rather keep the missiles in the centre of the country and not frighten the neighbours.  If times changed we could always "run them out and put them in battery".

And as I was trying to say D&B - rather than starting with the bayonet and work up maybe we could start at the top and work down.  What can be done with a few pods of 2500 km GLCMs?  What gaps are there and can we fill them with 750 km HIMARS/PrSMs?  When we get down to the 150 km HIMARS/GMRLS-ERs which can be deployed with each of our three brigades how many 155s do-we-need/would-we-like/can-we-afford?

With that in hand then we can start looking at what kind of capabilities can be carried around with the grunt on a plane, helicopter or truck.

Then, finally, we can look at the vehicle mounted systems for filling the gaps in capabilities.

Edit: and before the light blue guys think I'm doing them out of a job - it seems to me that the best use of the F35 these days is as a pair of eyeballs conducting armed reconnaissance while P8s and such are engaged in armed patrols.  Complementary with lots of capability overlap.  And all of it deployable to help "our friends in need".

daftandbarmy said:
I'm no Gunner, but I think this officially takes this thread out of the range of any equivalent replacement for the C3 Howitzer :)

We've flogged that already. Seems the suggestion here is that the maritime gunner regiments go back to being coastal artillery. Maybe we should get our bids in before the Navy tries to snap it up.

;D

FJAG said:
We've flogged that already. Seems the suggestion here is that the maritime gunner regiments go back to being coastal artillery. Maybe we should get our bids in before the Navy tries to snap it up.

;D

Well given the toys the kids down south are coming up with we've got to find something for you to shoot at.  Your 14 km M109A1 and 11 km C3 seem to be a bit behind the curve. :)

https://breakingdefense.com/2018/03/army-will-field-100-km-cannon-500-km-missiles-lrpf-cft/

daftandbarmy said:

Hey with Fedex, UPS and Canpar, we can get them 105mm shells where we need them  ;D

Chris Pook said:
Well given the toys the kids down south are coming up with we've got to find something for you to shoot at.  Your 14 km M109A1 and 11 km C3 seem to be a bit behind the curve. :)

https://breakingdefense.com/2018/03/army-will-field-100-km-cannon-500-km-missiles-lrpf-cft/

Chris. The key word there is "will" as in down the road some time. The M109A5/6/7 all do 22km with standard ammo and 30 with RAP. The current barrel is 39 calibres for both the M109 and M777. Yup. They'll both shoot further with the 58 calibres barrel when it comes out. (The C3 incidentally has a range of 18.5 km.)

The point that you are missing here is that the M109 is simply a carriage that has been modified continuously since day one and continues to be modified into the future with longer barrels, more efficient rounds, autoloader systems and automated positioning and directing systems. The current prototype which comes from BAE, the manufacturer of the M109, is called the XM1299 prototype zero. Whether or not that indicates a designation change for the future or not makes little difference as it will be a BAE-built M109 variant. Not bad for a piece of kit that's been around doing yeoman service since Vietnam.

There's not much percentage in comparing missile systems with cannon launched systems. They are complementary systems for very good reasons. Unfortunately we have neither the M109 nor the missile so its all academic anyway :'( At some point we'll buy something which may be state-of-the-art at the time but because we won't upgrade for decades will probably fall by the wayside like the C3.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
Chris. The key word there is "will" as in down the road some time. The M109A5/6/7 all do 22km with standard ammo and 30 with RAP. The current barrel is 39 calibres for both the M109 and M777. Yup. They'll both shoot further with the 58 calibres barrel when it comes out. (The C3 incidentally has a range of 18.5 km.)

The point that you are missing here is that the M109 is simply a carriage that has been modified continuously since day one and continues to be modified into the future with longer barrels, more efficient rounds, autoloader systems and automated positioning and directing systems. The current prototype which comes from BAE, the manufacturer of the M109, is called the XM1299 prototype zero. Whether or not that indicates a designation change for the future or not makes little difference as it will be a BAE-built M109 variant. Not bad for a piece of kit that's been around doing yeoman service since Vietnam.

There's not much percentage in comparing missile systems with cannon launched systems. They are complementary systems for very good reasons. Unfortunately we have neither the M109 nor the missile so its all academic anyway :'( At some point we'll buy something which may be state-of-the-art at the time but because we won't upgrade for decades will probably fall by the wayside like the C3.

And cheers to you as well.

Indeed. The key word is
.  As in 'lack of'.

I won't argue ranges.  You are correct.

My point is that any Defence programme for Canada should start with the Defence of Canada.  And, in my mind, the Defence of Canada starts with being able to react to any breach of Canadian sovereignty with Bombs and Boots.  Where those Bombs and Boots are deployed and when, well that is a function of Eyeballs, or sensors if you prefer.  Bombs, Boots and Eyeballs require Bucks.  Curiously, again in my view, it is now relatively inexpensive to drop 'Bombs' (rocket powered) in this case, anywhere in Canada's Areas of Interest.  For a country with the Scottish inheritance this one has that is a great thing.  We may not need to blow things up regularly but it is nice to have that capability in hand at a low cost.

Recognizing that no system is perfect and that there will be gaps then we can start considering the gaps and how to fill them - again, cheaply.

Eyeballs (sensors), are coming down in costs but the upscale ones are still eye-watering and the shear number that are needed means that providing that uniform picture and the necessary ISTAR assets (like Satellites, UAVs, P8s and F35s) are going to suck up a lot of Bucks, even if they are supplemented by civilian assets like Rangers, Mounties, Citizens, NavCan radars etc.

Reacting with Boots, and maintaining Boots to react with is without doubt the most expensive, both financially and politically, form of defence.  And it remains to be determined how often and what capabilities.

One of the Army's, and by extension the Artillery's, great problems is convincing people how a small number of boots can effectively defend Canada.  The usual answer is by allying with others and taking the fight overseas.  Unfortunately to many people that doesn't seem like a prescription for National Defence but rather National Offence.

The structure needs to be built so that every element has as its primary mission something that contributes directly and materially to the defence of Canada, its people, lands, lakes, seas, EEZs and Continental Shelf (Edit - and Airspace over them).  Then those capabilities can be put at the use of our allies for their benefit and for our instruction.

It is obvious to me, after watching the efforts of soldiers and the DND for the best part of 40 years, that Canadians have difficulty coming to terms with an army that only seems to operate in foreign lands.  Despite breaking out the snowshovels at home between infrequent deployments.

As you say, the question is one of 'will'.

:cheers: Your health.

Assuming the will (and the cash) can be found there are some not too radical and complementary HE/Precision platforms that could be a huge improvement for the CF.

Leaving out the man-portable weapons (like Carl-G, Javelin, 60mm & 81mm Mortars) which should stay with the Infantry, I think the indirect fire platforms could be split into roughly three range bands:

Band 1:
HE Platform = 120mm Mortar (LAV mounted for Heavy/Medium Brigades, Light Tactical Vehicle mounted or towed for Light Brigades)
Precision Platform = Hellfire Missile (LAV mounted for Heavy/Medium Brigades, Light Tactical Vehicle mounted for Light Brigades)

Band 2:
HE Platform = 105mm Howitzer (LAV mounted for Heavy/Medium Brigades, Light Tactical Vehicle mounted - Hawkeye - or towed for Light Brigades)
Precision Platform = Spike-NLOS Missile (LAV mounted for Heavy/Medium Brigades, Light Tactical Vehicle mounted for Light Brigades)

Band 3:
HE Platform = 155mm Howitzer (M109 or Truck mounted for Heavy/Medium Brigades, Truck mounted or towed/portee for Light Brigades)
Precision Platform = HIMARS

I guess the question is what would the best way to organize these platforms.  Units comprised of all the same platform?  Group together both HE and Precision platforms from the same range band?  Separate units for HE and Precision platforms?  Which units should be Reg Force and which should be Reserve units? 

“We’re going to have Marines out there sinking ships,” said Maj. Gen. Tracy W. King, director, Expeditionary Warfare, speaking Aug. 27 in the Surface Navy Association’s First Waterfront Symposium webinar. 

A focus on AV-35Bs, Helicopters and 200 km Naval Strike Missiles launched from autonomous platforms deployed from 30x 14-kt ships the size of a fishing trawler or Offshore Supply Vessel, manned with 45 sailors and 70 marines (with the marines helping with ship duties while living aboard)

https://seapowermagazine.org/expeditionary-warfare-director-marines-will-be-sinking-ships-in-future-war/
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33299/navy-wants-to-buy-30-new-light-amphibious-warships-to-support-radical-shift-in-marine-ops
https://news.usni.org/2020/06/08/marines-look-to-two-new-ship-classes-to-define-future-of-amphibious-operations
https://militaryleak.com/2020/05/17/us-marines-will-field-jltv-rogue-fires-vehicle-with-naval-strike-missile/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Strike_Missile

Personally I think, given that Canada doesn't do everything, it decides what, how much, where and when - forces that could defend coasts make a lot more sense than adding another under-strength brigade to someone else's army.

C3 Gunners converted to Anti-Shp and Anti-Air Missileers.

sts-stern-landing-top.jpg

us-marines-will-field-jltv-rogue-fires-vehicle-with-naval-strike-missile.jpg

300px-NSM_PICT0001.JPG

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2020/09/06/sci-fi-awesome-a-us-army-howitzer-just-shot-down-a-cruise-missile/amp/

Here's a new reason to invest in arty, missile defense. Successfully deployed from a M109 and intercepted a target missile. Very interesting concept to make a m109 into a Swiss army knife.

MilEME09 said:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2020/09/06/sci-fi-awesome-a-us-army-howitzer-just-shot-down-a-cruise-missile/amp/

Here's a new reason to invest in arty, missile defense. Successfully deployed from a M109 and intercepted a target missile. Very interesting concept to make a m109 into a Swiss army knife.

If only we had M109s (still)  ::)

https://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/analysis_top_most_modern_8x8_wheeled_self-propelled_howitzers.html

lots of choices out there for a wheeled sph.

What is the reason for the firing ranges being different though? Just the length of the barrel ie 39 vs 52?

I have to wonder to the value of jamming a 155mm gun into an existing 8x8 LAV style hull vs a large armoured 8x8 logistics truck. Really artillery is a logistical issue. How to move, store, protect and deliver the artillery round.

Colin P said:
I have to wonder to the value of jamming a 155mm gun into an existing 8x8 LAV style hull vs a large armoured 8x8 logistics truck. Really artillery is a logistical issue. How to move, store, protect and deliver the artillery round.

Crew protection and off-road mobility, I'm guessing, although any 30-40-tonne wheeled vehicle can have issues in the winter and spring...

I was impressed with the off road ability of the 8x8 MAN trucks we had in Germany, I suspect the trucks even armoured have better mobility than a LAV 6 with 155mm turret stuck on it. The LAV will be somewhat more survivable.

Back