- Reaction score
FJAG said:This is why I'm also a fan of the Avenger SHORAD system for use by reservists.
- Small wheeled vehicle easy to maintain and move around.
- Easily stored in an armory and taken to a parking lot for training.
- Sufficiently complex skills needed to make it an interesting system for a soldier.
- We desperately need something quick and dirty and relatively low cost.
- I already mentioned that the US Army National Guard has five brigades and two separate battalions of Avengers so it's easily doable.
I fully support some of the reserve arty units going it the Air Defense role. With Manpads simulators both at the armoury and field, you can have a troop attached to a gun battery unit as well if the recruiting numbers justify it. It give people a new skill to learn which keeps them involved. The dedicated AD units can have a troop of 81mm mortars as well to do the same the other way.
A 120mm Mortar system in a LAV solves a lot of our reg force artillery support needs with minimal foot print increase and would be very sustainable even within forseeable budgets. Along with that rerole a couple of the Reserve units to towed/portee 120mm mortars, which frees up some the Howitzers for other units.