• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Grounding

Mounting a 105 gun on a light vehicle chassis, as old Sweat mentioned, is not a new idea, and even the LAV chassis has been experimented with
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2004armaments/04_Vickory_105mm_Indirect_Fire.pdf

The gun itself used in that experiment, the Leo, I seen while in South Africa in a towed configuration; very impressive, more so than the often mentioned M119 (Brit Light Gun)
It has the potential to be an operational as well as a training gun

Maybe when a project starts to replace the C3 this type of system should be considered, but in a towed version (in order to mimic the TTP's used with M777 equipped units); I don't see the need for it to be self propelled.

In 1969 I worked on a trial of the Brit light gun in Shilo. It was and is an interesting piece of kit, but with an ordnance for the M1 family, we got a 500 metre increase in range as it was ballistically comparable to the US M102.

Interesting that no one has mentioned the LG1.  >:D

I was more interested in the gun part and whether they were making new components which might be a source of parts for us.

Old Sweat said:
Interesting that no one has mentioned the LG1.  >:D

Not sure what is happening with them but I do have 2 of them for salutes......

If you want to go light, go ultra light.  105mm Hawkeye - http://www.mandusgroup.ca/artillery_solutions/hawkeye_105mm.php

Notice thoughout the video how the barrel and breech are thrown forward prior to firing to counteract the recoil.  A very cool concept, but this seems to be a very large tech risk and if the timing wasn't perfect, you would have very large errors at the target.

If you could get it to work though, that is a lot of firepower on the back of a pickup truck.

GnyHwy said:
If you want to go light, go ultra light.  105mm Hawkeye - http://www.mandusgroup.ca/artillery_solutions/hawkeye_105mm.php

Notice thoughout the video how the barrel and breech are thrown forward prior to firing to counteract the recoil.  A very cool concept, but this seems to be a very large tech risk and if the timing wasn't perfect, you would have very large errors at the target.

If you could get it to work though, that is a lot of firepower on the back of a pickup truck.

sounds like you would need a computer or a weapons tech on the system constantly to make sure the timing is right

This concept was around in the sixties through the seventies in the US Army as the 105mm FOBS for Firing Out of Battery System. In other words it fired at the length of recoil from the pervious round, using the stored energy of the recoil to offset the rearward force of the round being fired. I don't think I explained it all that well, but it did eliminate the need for a set of trails or a heavy SP mount to absorb the rearward forces. I suspect there were some engineering issues that didn't appear in the film clips released to the public.

The Americans cancelled the programme, although there was talk of developing an 155 version. It didn't happen and the M777 was developed instead.

That just looks really weird when it's firing..

Back