• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C-7 and firing of blanks

R

rcrman

Just a question. Does anyone know the maximum safest distance when firing blanks at someone??? How close is too close? It there a PAM on safety when firing blanks?

Thanks,

Need real accurate info on this one folks.

Is that firing a blank with the bfa on or without the bfa and a piece of the cleaning rod jammed down the barrel a la speargun style?

With BFA on, less than 2 feet away from another trooper.

Grubby,

Please post your question just once. Cross posting won‘t get you any new answers, but will clutter the board.

Thanks

If some damage was done you might need to go through your unit legal and medical staff to document the event.

Check out your unit range box or library, find the Training Safety Manual (aka the Bible). It details out safety ranges for pretty much everything. Not to mention a way better source than us internet junkies trying to remember our last exercise safety brief.

B-GL-381-001/TS-001

Operational Training
TRAINING SAFETY

Chapter 1, Article 127

"The danger area for blank small arms ammunition is 20 m."

I‘m going to the range this weekend, and last weekend I had to sign a form with a whole bunch of stuff on it saying what I couldn‘t do at the range. One of the points was something along the lines of "No firing blanks at another person within 20 metres." I don‘t know if thats with BFA attached or not, but I was told somewhere that we never fire blanks without a BFA on.

Yeah it was dangerous. To add, this did not happen on a range, but during an attack. The general word seems 20 Meters, seems logical. The particular individual fired as less then the length of the service wpn away point black at another soldier. Any comments?

Again thanks all, this web site is a valuable source of info. :mg: way too close in my books !!

I remember on basic the enemy force raided our trenches and one sleep fudged Pte(r) fired off about 80-120 rounds from his C9 right at the En forces face...

Mind you it was then enemy forces fault on that one.. they were trying to take out the trenches hand to hand style, and we were never really breifed on ROE‘s or what to do if that happened..

"I don‘t know if thats with BFA attached or not, but I was told somewhere that we never fire blanks without a BFA on."

I have never been part of 21 gun salute or anything like that but since they use blanks and make chamber/eject blank rounds you would have to leave the BFA off in this case. Correct me if I am wrong.

21 gun salute the BFA stays off, ive done 2 of them.

Grubby, 20 meters is 60 feet. I can remember many engagements with blanks that took place closer than 60 feet. ESPECIALLY in fibua situations where its 3 or 4 feet. Unless the soldier in question held the c7 up to someonesbface, on purpose, and was being an ******* about it i wouldnt make waves.

John Erik Hexum, an actor, was killed on set with a blank fired from a .44 Cal revolver when he placed the barrel of the weapon near his temple and pulled the trigger.

The expanding gases from the round impacted on the side of the actor‘s head, driving large fragments of bone into the actor‘s brain, killing him instantly.

Mr Hexum was not properly schooled in the use of weapons with blank ammunition. It cost him his life.

Enough said?!

Brandon Lee died in a similar fashion, something like wadding from a blank struck and killed him.

I just got done a tasking at the Infantry School in Gagetown, where I was demo for LOFT, CAP, and DP3A and the saftey distance we were told in reference to blanks was 10 meters, with the bloody BFA on. The only time we took off the BFA was to make the shoot sound louder when we were attacking sleep deprived officers on CAP. It‘s an interesting sight to see

So you willingly created a safty violation and endangered students. Hummmmmmm

I‘ve seen it done before on a few leadership courses. Mind you the range was 200-400 meters and its intention was to simulate a det opening up on an advance w/o the good old "oh my god the enemy force just stood up and took a shot at us".

In every case the BFA was back on before safety was even an issue.

Back