• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BZ to Air Canada, Flt 157 YYZ-YEG 11/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

a78jumper

Inactive
Reaction score
Perhaps part of Air Canada's new emphasis on customer care, but still appreciated was the lead FA's announcement at the end of our Toronto-Edmonton flight last night that it was Remembrance Day, and expressing thanks for all veterans, past and present who have/are serving our country in time of war and peace. One the way out the door, as a retired member of the military (I reserve vet for someone who actually served in harms way) I thanked her for annnouncing it. 

Not sure if it's a hijack - I'm replying to a comment in your post, if not the main thrust of your message.  :blotto:

A bunch of us discussed this a while back, shaking our heads at the notion that a Reservist with 3 years in qualifies for a Veteran's license plate.  ::)

I have just started the paperwork to release after almost 23 years; I have not the slightest intention of applying for the plate. Other than visits to Fort Knox to play video games, I've never even left the country! I'm not a vet - I'm (about to be) an ex-member of the CF.

Yeah, methinks it was a bit of a hijack.

I believe that the announcements regarding Remembrance Day was an Air Canada policy throughout all their flights that day.  My flight from Calgary to Ottawa had the same message. After meeting and conversing with others who are attending the same conference as I, indicated that their flight attendants also made the similar announcements.  I also thanked the FA's for doing it.  What I was trying to get them to do was have two minutes of silence at 11:00 but different time zones on individuals watches lent itself to confusion, so I had my own Remembrance Day ceremony in my own thoughts.

Main Entry: vet·er·an  
Pronunciation: \ˈve-tə-rən, ˈve-trən\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin veteranus, from veteranus, adjective, old, of long experience, from veter-, vetus old — more at wether
Date: 1509
1 a: an old soldier of long service b: a former member of the armed forces
2: a person of long experience usually in some occupation or skill (as politics or the arts)
— veteran adjective

Link

Off google VETERAN:

1. A person with long experience of a particular activity; A person who has served in the armed forces, especially an old soldier who has seen long service; Having had long experience, practice, or service;

2. Of or relating to former members of the military armed forces, especially those who served ...
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/veteran

WRT the number plate criteria, its up to the individual if they want to go through with a Vet's plate. I don't have any issues with a 3 yr Militia member getting one, for they meet the criteria.

To criticise anyone who does IMHO is silly. Tank Recce, if you don't apply for one, thats your business. If I was a 3 yr Militia member, I would most likely get one, as I meet the criteria. Your definition of a Veteran may be different to the actual one.

Many 3 yr Militia pers have been O/S and in harms way, and many have not.

Yes, I am a Veteran, and have been in harms way, and it does not bother me with the criteria, but identifies to the public serving and former members of the CF or Allied Commonwealth Forces.

OWDU

EDIT: Gap you stole my thunder, ha!

I have thought about a veteran's plate, but have not yet taken the plunge. As a cold warrior I always think of myself as not being a real vet. However I joined the army after the crushing of the Hungarian revolution and served through the building of the Berlin Wall and the Cuban Missile Crisis, so maybe I am a real veteran after all.

We've been through this already. A couple of times. If it's really got your shorts in a knot, complain to the people that set forth the criteria, not the people that meet that standard.

If you want to make it thread, as the title states, to thank AC, I'll cull all the hijack stuff. Just say the word.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back