• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Buying a new pistol- looking for feedback

Looking for feedback on my next pistol purchase

• Seraphim Armoury Archangel 1911 chambered in .45

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Seraphim Armoury Archangel 1911 chambered in 9mm

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Steyr L-A1 Pistol chambered in 9mm

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Steyr M40-A1 chambered in .40 cal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glock 17 chambered in 9mm

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Glock 19 chambered in 9mm

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • HK P30L chambered in 9mm

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Looking to buy a new pistol but having a hard time narrowing the choices. Already have a Sig P226.  Activities will include but not limited to 3-gun competitions, target practice, zombies and Red Dawn fantasies.

Seraphim Armoury Archangel
Archangel-Black-slider.jpg

Steyr L-A1 (M40 essentially the same)
Steyr2.jpg

Glock 17&19
maxresdefault.jpg

HK P30L
IMG_3585.jpg

Ken Hackathorn said to me: "It's a 9mm world and a Glock world."

If you're military police, or a bunch of other things, you can buy a glock straight from Police Ordnance (The Canadian Importer) with a substantial discount.

Also you can't go wrong with a glock.

They may not currently be importing all models though...

I want an M&P9 so I can be like Jerry Miculek

You have a 226, so go for the 1911 in 9mm (cheaper) and then get a Glock, Ruger, S&W pistol

Not a Sig Op said:
If you're military police, or a bunch of other things, you can buy a glock straight from Police Ordnance (The Canadian Importer) with a substantial discount.

FYI any individual in the CAF can take advantage of the deals from Police Ordnance. I got my Glock from them for a fantastic price.

You should go for a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.

At the end of the day, all modern pistols are decent, pick the one that fits your hand and budget. 45acp is fun, but not cheap to shoot and you spend forever on your hands and knees looking for cases to reload. Sig and Glock have very nice .22cal kits and the S&W .22cal copy of their M&P is one of the most reliable of .22 copies out there.

I have a Glock 17 that's performed well for me since 2005 when I bought it.

I've cleaned it a couple of times since then, and it's never failed to fire for me.

I'd stick with 9mm due to cost and availability. 

Having the ability to swap out the slide for one of the Advantage Arms .22 slides (~$400) is a good thing, but I've not done that.  I bought a stand-alone .22 pistol. 

How much would a Glock 17 run through the Police Ordnance deal?  The archangel under the IOP is $1000.    I have a .22 conversion for the Sig, I know Glocks have them too might be tricky finding one for the 1911 though.

dapaterson said:
A plasma rifle with the energy output of a light bulb? Seems hardly enough power  ;D

LogOLife said:
FYI any individual in the CAF can take advantage of the deals from Police Ordnance. I got my Glock from them for a fantastic price.

Apparently I missed a comma, should have been "military, police", not "military police".

There was a bunch of other individuals entitled to the discount as well.

I don't remember the prices but contact them and ask, they'll send you a complete price list.

It's a significant discount, except for any of the compact models you've got to provide a restricted length barrel yourself, which costs roughly the same as what you save.

You can buy one discounted pistol per year.

It's not their policy, it's a Glock company policy, there just the Canadian importer for Glock.

As I recall it's around $300, but that might be for a larger contract and not a single pistol.

Jarnhamar I can not speak to all of them only the Seraphim stuff, because I was researching to buy. My buddy is a manager for the firearms department for a box store that sells Seraphim firearms and it is on his testimony I tell you this.. so take as you will lol

He has told me that the finish on the Seraphim stuff is sub-par for the economy manufacturers of a 1911's. He told me that he found the finish wears on seraphim stuff at a kuch faster rate then other manufacturers.

For me it is a big deal, for you it may not be.
But that is literally all I know.

Abdullah

Colin P said:
As I recall it's around $300, but that might be for a larger contract and not a single pistol.

If it is, it's a way bigger discount than they used to offer. More like $650, varies depending on model.

dapaterson said:

They are prohibited in Canada because they require more than 5 "AA" size batteries to function.

Not a Sig Op said:
If it is, it's a way bigger discount than they used to offer. More like $650, varies depending on model.

I think the price I quoted is for the large contracts when you are buying in the thousands of pistols.

When I ordered from them about 3 years ago I got a Glock 17 Gen 4 with tritium sights for about $700 plus tax.

Get one of these puppies. Clunky, cheap, won't quit and heavy enough to beat your target to death with. This is only one vid of them torturing a Hi-Point, there's others but it shows just how tough this boat anchor really is.  :eek:

I'm thinking of getting one, just for shiggles. [:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

If anyone has one they want to get rid of, shoot me a PM.

Sorry for the diversion there Jarn. :salute:

thanks for the input AbdullahD, I fired off an email to SA to ask them about their finish wearing out.

[quote author=recceguy]

Sorry for the diversion there Jarn. :salute:
[/quote]

You're like a pistol packing Obi-wan, never a need to say sorry lol

Looks like I'm going to learn towards a Gen 3 or 4 Glock 17 (depending on price) and SA 1911 Archangel in 9mm. Or maybe .45, but probably 9mm.

When my wife asked whats the big deal between trying to pick between 9mm and .45 with the same gun I said getting a 1911 in 9mm sort of feels like cheating, which to me is self-explanatory.
She asked to explain so I said it's like kissing your wife after she gets her hair done and looks like a different woman.

Didn't go over all that well..

Back