• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bullpups

I just read an article on Heckler and Koch‘s new XM8 purpose designed modular assault rifle system being developed to complement the OICW and/or replace the M16/M4 family of assault rifles...very nice indeed. The weapon is basically designed to correct all the flaws of M16/M4 family. It is completely ambidextrious. It has a G36 style sight system with an integral eye-safe laser/red dot/infrared pointer with a quick-removable carrying handle. It is a very light weapon at only 6.4 pounds for the carbine variant. Furthermore the big feature is that it is designed to fire the new 5.56 X 45mm kinetic energy round (KE) that essentially improves range, accuracy, penetration, and stopping power via a heavier bullet and more powerful powder. One feature I particularly like for medium to small soldiers is the multi-position butt stock. This is a great feature that really helps improve one‘s shooting when wearing a flack jacket and all the other combat kit that decreases one‘s arm reach. Check out a very informative article on the XM8 in the February issue of Soldier of Fortune.

If the US Army procures this weapon system, I think Canada should jump on the band wagen very soon, because even if the Objective Individual Combat Weapon does not become a reality, it is very likely the XM8 will. The XM8 is a very well designed weapon system.

East Side Saprano, the current model of the FAMAS uses a 30 round M16 style magazine. Don‘t base your opinion of a weapon off of Metal Gear: Solid.

L/MCpl,
I didn‘t base my opinion off Metal Gear Solid, I can honestly say I‘ve never even played the game. However, all the FAMAS rifles I have see have had straight 25-rnd magazines, not the "banana" M16 30-rnd type, I not going to say if they can or cannot accept the M16 type magazines but I do know that initially (maybe it‘s different now) soldiers were issued 25-rnd straight magazines for their FAMAS rifles.

Turns out we were both right. There are two types of the FAMAS the F1 (25-rnd mag) and the G2(30-rnd mag). See for yourself here: http://world.guns.ru/assault/as21-e.htm

I knew that already. That‘s why I said the current model, being the current model in service has a 30 rnd mag.

No prob. I get all my info from video games. I know the Sonic the Hedgehog is faster then Super Mario. Red Mushrooms make you big. Green Mushrooms give you an extra life. Stars Make you invincible and so on.

as a point of ref boys the mag for this weapon and most NATO 5.56mm mags are interchangeable with each other ! the reason for this is that u can pick a mag of casualty's on the field ................the same reason as the 5.56mm round so that supply's to the front line can come from any NATO force!

I remember British 5.56 magazines being a bit better then ours.  As well, doesn't the French FAMAS use a slightly different 5.56 round then the rest of NATO?

Old brit mags = Bad
New (HK SA80A2) Mags = Good
I am currently trying to negotiate a few Brit Hk mags out at Connaught with the Brit Shooting team...

I often wonder if France is still in NATO...
  but IIRC they use the SS109 same as the rest of us

Bushmaster M17, been there done that, luckily I wasn't the one that paid for it.  Stay away from those. 
Bushmaster makes nice rifles, but that model isn't one of them, in my opinion.

In general I dislike Bullpups cause I'm a lefty and few are interchangeable.... and the ones that are don't do it fast.  But I shoot both side as much as possible.

Some times finding cover dictakes you have to have to be able to shoot from either hand rather then exposeing more of your body. 

In todays urban warfare a solider that can shoot from either hand is an asset to him/her self and others.  A skill in my opinion that should be taught to everyone.

worse case.... your wounded in your right shoulder....  you can guess the rest.

I have one of those new HK L85A2 30rd mags, and they are built the best ever. The most robust M16 mag ever made with fine German engineering to boot.

However they are designed for a weapon with a steel magazine housing, and the steel mag will indeed cause unnecessary wear and tear with repeated use on a M16/M4/C7 weapon, as the housings on these types of weapons are made alloy material, and are softer than the magazine.

The locally made F88SA1 Austeyr can be converted to LH operation my swaping EPCs and the fitting of a LH bolt. A few minutes is all it takes. However ever its a RAEME tasking, and a HS gauge (37.41mm is used). Although Ii have carried this type of wpn for almost 10 yrs, I am not a fan of it (I prefer the M16 FOW), but from the FAMAS, the L85A2 ( I have fired and used these two) and the F88, the Austeyr in my opinion is superior to them all.

As I said I am not a lover of the Austeyr, but I feel it has the other two beat hands down. The FAMAS LH/RH conversion is done by the soldier, as he/she just swaps the extractor from one side of the bolt to the other. Very simple and no head spacing.

The SA1 is fitted with a Picatinny rail for choice of optics etc, and as for mags the generic AUG 30rd plastic mag is used. I did scrounge a Malaysian 20rd mag, and its great for compactability (getting in and out of Land Rover 110s and AFVs etc.

ADI-L has got about 10 prototype F88 'Gen IIIs' (some are calling them V-IIIs) out too, but its much heavier, and I don't know how the troops will take to it. Its on or about to go on trials. I seen 6 of them a few months back, and I had a close look. Its got the standard RAS, picatinny rail, and can take a newly designed mount for the M203PI, and Rem M-870 SG, and it has a detachable trigger guard too.

Meanwhile all SF (SASR and Cdo) units use the Colt M4, and they have turned in all but a few of their Austeyrs.

Cheers,

Wes

Back