• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BUIS Assistance Needed

GregC

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've been reading up on anything I can get my hands on, searching on this site, and asking people for advice, and I just can't get a definitive answer. I am looking to pick up a METAL (as opposed to the issued plastic of course) BUIS for TF-1-07. By the way, the BUIS will be on a C7A2 with an Eotech 552. My problem is trying to find one that will fit on a weaver mount, ie the C7 flattop.

I have had none other than Infidel-6 recommend me the Troy BUIS, however upon talking to the man he recommended to buy it off, that individual said it was a no go, as police teams had issues mounting the Troy to their Diemaco rifles.

Can anyone with first hand accounts/knowledge give me a definitive answer on how to roll on this? I'd like a folding metal one, but if someone with more experience than I says to save my money and stick with the plastic irons, I'll do that.

Thank you for any help you can offer,
                                                                                  Greg

Greg,  For flip ups I have added KAC 300m, 600m and Troy sights to Diemaco uppers with no problems, and a LMT fixed rear

magcoupler.jpg

P.S. Hoddie over on CGN is current using a Troy on his...

c8s_b.jpg

I had to file the crossbolt on an ARMS #40 to get it to fit due to the CF tolerances being slimmer than the M1913 rails spec.

The CF upper has 14 slots while the US one has 13 -- so you can push the BIS up one notch toward the front (as opposed to the rear most) -- and the rear most the receiver is already starting to narrow for the charging handle.

Thanks alot Infidel, that's exactly what I was looking for, photo's with a Troy on a CF issue upper. I'm putting in my order at CQB services today, so thanks again for the assist!

-Greg

a PHOTO is worth a thousand words.

Tell Joe is those LE where not so stupid they'd realise the reason why the BIS is falling off...

You can see on the pic of my SFW with the LMT fixed BIS on it that the extra notch on the rear of the receiver will not leave enough room on the aft end to properly mount a M1913 item.

The Diemaco upper has a weaver style rail instead of the more common (in most other militaries anyways) M1913 rail,I just took a file to my upper so the BUIS would fit,after all I'm not going to damage a perfectly good BUIS to fit on an out of spec rail. ;D. Why the uppers were not junked for an updated version with a proper rail is beyond me.

G -- you and I both know that dinosaurs rule the earth (or at least CF weapons issues...)
    Funny the C8SFW/FTHB barrels have a M4 profile -- but they used shitass C7A1 uppers so no M4 ramp in them...  GENIUS...NOT!)

Been away in "beautiful" Gagetown for a bit so was unable to reply..... just a quick update, the Troy fit without a problem on my C7, even got a chance to fiddle around with it on gunfighter a few weeks back. The sight wasn't cheap, but it's great quality, and should serve me well in A-Stan.

I6, or whoever can answer this from experience- will the Troy foldup cowitness properly with an EOtech? I'm starting to investigate what I'll invest in if I get accepted for tour. My choice of optics will of course depend on the standards of the battlegroup and on my role within it, but my initial inclination is towards the EOtech. I found it wonderful the time I got to try it out.

I have searched, but the optics and ironsight threads are numerous and cluttered, so this thread seemed an appropriate place to ask.

It will, it's the setup I used on gunfighter and what I'm taking overseas. Worked great for me.

GregC said:
It will, it's the setup I used on gunfighter and what I'm taking overseas. Worked great for me.

Perfect, thank you.

To put the irons in the bottom third of the Eotech window you'll want a Larue eotech mount. It will also come in handy so your Eotech doesn't fall off your rifle.

Big Red said:
To put the irons in the bottom third of the Eotech window you'll want a Larue eotech mount. It will also come in handy so your Eotech doesn't fall off your rifle.

Can you expand on this Big Red? Not about lower third co-witness, about the "falling off the rifle" bit...... I haven't heard anything about this before, does the mounting screw tend to back out or something along those lines? Thanks for any info you can send my way, I've still got a few weeks to sort out kit before I head over  :threat:

You really need to loctite the screw on the EO - or they have a tendency to come loose -- and bang -- you have a EO on the ground beside your gun.
  Best bet to do is use red loctite and place it thinly on the screw -- let it dry ont he screw outside the EO -- then thread it in once dried -- it will provide a sort of "locK" and make your give a good torque to remove --- this method is done by KAC on all their screws and it does help eep them from backing out from recoil and other vibrations

The logic behind the lower 1/3 of the window is so you have the max visible in your viewfield in CQB your head is usually up higher that it would be for static shooting - making it easier to scan and to increase balance.  - you can drop your head into the irons and the EO reticle will drop down to co-witness to (to confirm zero as well)

Infidel-6 said:
You really need to loctite the screw on the EO - or they have a tendency to come loose -- and bang -- you have a EO on the ground beside your gun.
  Best bet to do is use red loctite and place it thinly on the screw -- let it dry ont he screw outside the EO -- then thread it in once dried -- it will provide a sort of "locK" and make your give a good torque to remove --- this method is done by KAC on all their screws and it does help eep them from backing out from recoil and other vibrations

The logic behind the lower 1/3 of the window is so you have the max visible in your viewfield in CQB your head is usually up higher that it would be for static shooting - making it easier to scan and to increase balance.  - you can drop your head into the irons and the EO reticle will drop down to co-witness to (to confirm zero as well)

Nifty... I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of a holographic sight, but I think I get where you're going with this- are you saying that the reticule will always appear where my line of sight perpendicularly intersects the window, so the if I raise my eye a bit, lower, or move side to side the reticule will simply shift position in the window such that I'm looking down the sightline of the weapon, assuming the sight is calibrated to begin with?

Big Red said:

+1

A LaRue mount is worth the cash. It works great with the EOTech.

Brihard -- yes, the EO reticle (if zero'ed) will always point at the tgt when you look at it.

Infidel-6 said:
Brihard -- yes, the EO reticle (if zero'ed) will always point at the tgt when you look at it.

Damn, that's excellent.

Probably a dumb question, but I like to be thorough- the LaRue mount you mentioned has no compatibility issues with Diemaco flattop uppers? If I understand correctly it's not a true Picatinny standard...

I've put Larue mounts on the Diemaco uppers before --if sometimes involves effort...

Infidel-6 said:
I've put Larue mounts on the Diemaco uppers before --if sometimes involves effort...

Any actual modifications necessary?

I'd prefer not say - since some guys are using Larue mounts  ;)

Actually - it depends on the upper (which to me shows that the "weaver" spec rail - on the Diemaco upper has a +/- that gets near the M1913 rail specs one one end)

Back