• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bugle at 4am

Status
Not open for further replies.

renemongeau

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Hello

I played bugle younger but I had to stop in order to stay alive. Can I bring it with me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

owl timer said:
Hello

I played bugle younger but I had to stop in order to stay alive. Can I bring it with me?

Bring it where—to BMQ? If you’re asking if you can blare it at 4am there (hence the title of your post) I’d lean heavily into the “staying alive” portion as an attractive option if/when you arrive, so I’d recommend not bringing it with you.

But if this is seriously a legitimate question, you wouldn’t want to anyway. Practice your musical hobbies once training is out of the way. Brass (and other musical) instruments can be costly to repair if damaged, scratched, dented, etc. Plus it would be in lockup for at least half the course and there’s nowhere to play it there.

During a tour in Bosnia(roto 2 in 98) our G1 brought his grandfather's pipes which he played both incessantly and badly. The Czech helo det pers who were co-located with us in VK had a 500 DM bounty on whomever could bring the pipes to them, which they vowed to drop in the middle of the biggest minefield in Bosnia from one of their Hips. The G1 spent 5 months of misery carrying his pipes with him everywhere.

Leave your bugle at home

Weinie said:
During a tour in Bosnia(roto 2 in 98) our G1 brought his grandfather's pipes which he played both incessantly and badly. The Czech helo det pers who were co-located with us in VK had a 500 DM bounty on whomever could bring the pipes to them, which they vowed to drop in the middle of the biggest minefield in Bosnia from one of their Hips. The G1 spent 5 months of misery carrying his pipes with him everywhere.

Leave your bugle at home

The definition of a gentleman?

A man who can play the bagpipes (or bugle) but doesn't. ;)

In my 12+ years in I have been woken up by an instrument twice, both times it was bagpipes, once on exercise and once while visiting our Allied Regiment in England (it didn't help with the hangover.) I feel that if random person was to start playing a non-issued bugle without permission early in the morning that it would be sorted out at the lowest level.

Irving Berlin - 'Oh, How I Hate to get up in the Morning'

A bugler in the army is the luckiest of men,
He wakes the boys at five and then goes back to bed again;
He doesn't have to blow again until the afternoon,
If every thing goes well with me I'll be a bugler soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71smG5d29to

The hero in "From here to Eternity" was a bugler. In the movie, it was apparently the best job in a US Army rifle company.

"This is the Army,

Do what the buglers command
They're in the Army and not in a band"  :)

Kilted said:
In my 12+ years in I have been woken up by an instrument twice, both times it was bagpipes, once on exercise and once while visiting our Allied Regiment in England (it didn't help with the hangover.) I feel that if random person was to start playing a non-issued bugle without permission early in the morning that it would be sorted out at the lowest level.

I’m professionally obligated to discourage savage beatings. So with that said, we aspire to abide by civilized standards of conduct. But civilized conduct is sometimes a luxury reserved for civilized situations and civilized times. Any musical instrument at 4 a.m. flagrantly fails both parts.

There is a thin veneer of civilization overtop of man’s capacity for savagery. That veneer scratches easily, and can tear with not much difficulty at all.

And there we have it folks, officially the worst idea ever posted on army.ca!

The bugle seems to have been more popular as a musical instrument during the war,

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B

But then his number came up and he was gone with the draft
He's in the army now blowing reveille
He's the boogie woogie bugle boy of Company B

They made him blow a bugle for his Uncle Sam
It really brought him down because he couldn't jam
The captain seemed to understand
Because the next day the Cap' went out and drafted a band
And now the company jumps when he plays reveille
He's the boogie woogie bugle boy of Company B

For reference to the discussion,

Bugle Calls 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/97739.0

Bring it, and play it with enthusiasm!  You're not going to get Top Candidate if you don't stand out!  :pop:

/Darwin Award fan  ;)

Brihard said:
. . . Any musical instrument at 4 a.m. flagrantly fails both parts.

Especially when it deprives one of an hour of sleep.

https://forces.ca/en/how-to-join/#btt
Daily routine

Your days start at 5 am. and ends at 10 pm. Each training day consists of physical training, marching, classes and practical sessions on a variety of military subjects. You will spend your evenings maintaining personal equipment and living quarters, and prepare for the next day’s activities.

Journeyman said:
Bring it, and play it with enthusiasm!  You're not going to get Top Candidate if you don't stand out!  :pop:

/Darwin Award fan  ;)

And just because I know there are some 'Light Infantry Lurkers' no doubt holding themselves back out there, here's the playbook for you :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIn-fvoCCCU

Brihard said:
I’m professionally obligated to discourage savage beatings. So with that said, we aspire to abide by civilized standards of conduct. But civilized conduct is sometimes a luxury reserved for civilized situations and civilized times. Any musical instrument at 4 a.m. flagrantly fails both parts.

There is a thin veneer of civilization overtop of man’s capacity for savagery. That veneer scratches easily, and can tear with not much difficulty at all.

That wasn't what I was referring to, although I'm aware that that is the traditional meaning. I'm sure there are many ways to motivate someone to not play the bugle at 4am.

Kilted said:
That wasn't what I was referring to, although I'm aware that that is the traditional meaning. I'm sure there are many ways to motivate someone to not play the bugle at 4am.

Instrument-Rectal Integration is another option that would probably be considered, as well as experimentally determining the instrument's utility as a parachute, or as a traffic-calming device.

I know the bugle is a mellifluous martial brass musical instrument that sounds better than a trumpet. Also, the Canadian Force gets up in some tradition in which one makes anachronisms between technologies and culture. In the same mind, I wondered much more if I called troops on the tarmac with this instrument. I don’t have this top-notch standing to be more characteristically particular with a bugle than someone else’s.

“Mellifluous” and “4am” do not intersect on a Venn diagram.

G2G, I suspect that you are either engaging a spambot or somebody who doesn't speak english and ran their post through google translate.

SeaKingTacco said:
G2G, I suspect that you are either engaging a spambot or somebody who doesn't speak english and ran their post through google translate.
OMG, between you and me, I suspect you speak English without any relevant argument.

https://www.englishclub.com/writing/capital-letters.htm

You should use Oxford Dictionary instead of Google. This is not write Google or my English skills on this topic.

SeaKingTacco said:

I think you have a great deal of correctness in the Taco Royal Ocean.

owl timer said:
OMG, between you and me, I suspect you speak English without any relevant argument.

https://www.englishclub.com/writing/capital-letters.htm

You should use Oxford Dictionary instead of Google. This is not write Google or my English skills on this topic.

I rest my case.  8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back